Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Staying hydrated

Anybody have a home brew to help stay hydrated and electrolytes balanced? We're seeing 100 or more and high humidity just about every day and I'm finding it hard to stay fueled up and fresh . I don't want to spend the cash for energy drinks and just water won't do it. I started drinking V8(high sodium) the other week as a recovery drink and that seem to be helping a lot. Anybody else have something that they like?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-30-2008, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I just discovered "No Salt" for sodium-restricted folks. It is mostly potassium chloride, so I use it when I'd normally need a banana for potassium. If you read the ingredients on a good electrolyte replacement drink, you can probably mix your own.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Boy Blue - '93 Jeep Cherokee Country
90 day: 18.55 mpg (US)
What is your actual diet like? I would also try to add in more complex carbs (try an oatmeal for breakfast with a bunch of fruit in it) and then more protein and healthy fats/oils (nuts such as almonds, eggs, lean beef and chicken, mediterranean dishes using olive oil and other oils, lentils/beans).

As far as an electrolyte drink, you can buy the powdered gatorade in the stores. Most bottled drinks are hypotonic (ie - the osmolarity, or concentration of electrolytes, is less than that of blood). If you are feeling rather depleted, with the powder you can make it as concentrated as you want. It is also going to net you more gatorade in terms of fluid for the price than if you buy it premixed.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I generally just bring two bottles of water, with a sports drink/luna bar afterwards. But if I'm approaching 2+ hours I generally stick with water/gatorade in the bottles, and banana snacks every hour or so.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I switched to potassium salt from bananas after investigating fair-trade food supplies. You can buy coffee and chocolate from companies that make sure the farmers are making a living, for a reasonable premium. On bananas, that might mean another 10 cents a pound, but you can't get 'em, because the exporters all pay a fee of 5 cents to goons who suppress anything resembling a Union or Co-Op.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Bob View Post
I switched to potassium salt from bananas after investigating fair-trade food supplies. You can buy coffee and chocolate from companies that make sure the farmers are making a living, for a reasonable premium. On bananas, that might mean another 10 cents a pound, but you can't get 'em, because the exporters all pay a fee of 5 cents to goons who suppress anything resembling a Union or Co-Op.
Yeah, my local co-op has trouble keeping FT bananas in stock. Organic is always there, but FT much less so.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
I'm not sure if this is bad or not but I usually just drink water while I am out riding and I might snack on some granola based snack or a bag of nuts. Salted peanuts and raspberries are best but raspberries aren't the best travel companion.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Buell XB12X - '06 Buell XB12X
90 day: 49.02 mpg (US)

Grand Cherokee WH - '06 Jeep Grand Cherokee WH (WK Export)
90 day: 15.46 mpg (US)

Honda CRV RD - '05 Honda CR-V 4WD Sport
90 day: 24.44 mpg (US)
DoctorP82 hit on the most imporant factor imo, especially breakfast.

My home brew is water slightly cooler than body temperature (not "cold"), with raw sugar, honey and lemon slices.
Banana as a snack.

If I'm struggling I use electrolyte tablets, potassium salt and magnesium, but I try to avoid needing to 'boost' like that. IMO it only indicates that I've been eating crap... like a burger for breakfast hahaha.

Prep for races I use a commercial powdered drink the day before, which I find gives real benefits in cramping and burst power (for me at least), but otherwise the lemon/sugar keeps me fresh/alert/hydrated just as well I think.

For recovery I have flavoured milk on top of a carb starter before a propper meal.

You might find some interesting info here:
Australian Institute of Sport :: Hydration
And amungst the other pages on there, generally non-commericially orientated.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lazarus, I'm not sure what your activity is, but when I do long bike rides/races (cross state, 24 hr etc) powdered gatorade is my drink of choice. Mixing it at the concentration given on the package makes it most easily absorbed. I also eat trail mix(salt) and a banana every few hours potassium. The thing I have found most helpful for dealing with the heat is actually being in it. We don't use A/C at home and I only use enough in the office to keep clients comfortable. The body is a marvelous machine that can adapt to almost anything.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Daily Driver - '01 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 18.12 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tony Raine
i drink powdered gatorade quite often, mainly because plain water gets dull after awhile. if i'm not outside working and sweating, i mix it really weak, to where i can barely taste it. some flavors lend themselves better to this than others (depending on your personal taste). when i'm out working, i mix it a little stronger.