EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Scion XA in PA (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/scion-xa-pa-2658.html)

goodblues 05-30-2008 09:41 AM

Scion XA in PA

Just joined group. I do a 100 mile/day commute and am always trying to stretch the mileage on my 2006 Scion XA. Average mileage over the vehicle life is just over 39mpg. Last five tanks, (recently added a scangauge) is up to 42.5mpg.

I have a years worth of fuel logs I would love to import. Is there a way to do that without manually entering them?

Thanks...

SVOboy 05-30-2008 10:12 AM

There's not really a good way to get it from the paper to the fuel log without doing it manually. Just get some ice cream and get to work! :)

Welcome to ecomodder!

Daox 05-30-2008 11:05 AM

Welcome to the site. The xA is great little car and is capable of hitting over 50 mpg. Check out the 100+ ecodriving tips page and specifically look at pulse and glide technique. Good luck!

goodblues 05-30-2008 11:24 AM

I just recently converted my paper log to Excel. So I am not excited about reentering it again manually. I will start fresh now and if I get really bored one day will back enter data from the last year.

50+ would be great, that is my target point right now. Haven't really tried the P&G yet, but I have implemented a number of the other techniques in the ecodriving tips.

It's a great little game to tweak up the mileage little by little.

Doofus McFancypants 05-30-2008 12:23 PM

what part of PA you from?
I am origionally from outside Pittsburgh and my Wife is from outside Allentown

( would you believe you cannot get Yuengling here in Georgia!!!)

goodblues 05-30-2008 12:42 PM

I'm in the Harrisburg area, I spent about 6 years in Columbia, SC so I know that area. Only made it to Atlanta a few times.

NeilBlanchard 05-30-2008 01:11 PM

Greetings,

It's good to hear from a fellow xA owner -- I have a 2005 RS 2.0. I have averaged just over 37mpg for the three+ years I've owned it, including winter driving. My high (so far) is 43.5mpg -- though now that I have duct taped the upper grill opening (the RS 2.0 has a unique open honeycomb grill), the current tankful is on track to beat that! :)

Is yours a 5-speed or the automatic? the reason I ask is, on my car the engine revs to ~2,800RPM at 55mph and ~3,400RPM at 65mph. I know people who own a 5-speed Yaris sedan (virtually the same platform) and they do ~2,500 at 65mph...

digitaldissent 05-30-2008 01:40 PM

welcome, the more little Toyota VVT-i engines the better :)

goodblues 05-30-2008 01:55 PM

Neil,

Mine is a 5 speed and 2800 at 55 sounds about right, it rev's higher than I expected at speed, but that seems to be OK based on the mileage it gets, I will double check on the drive home and report back if I am mistaken. When I bought this I also test drove a Yaris, the dealer said it was the same power train, but the transmission felt totally different while driving it, in fact it was the main reason I went with the Scion, it may have just been that car, but I did not like the Yaris tranny at all.

NeilBlanchard 05-30-2008 02:02 PM

Hello,

I just wish there was a sixth gear...2,000RPM at 55mph and 2,500RPM at 65mph would be great. If anybody knows if the Yaris has a different final drive ratio, or if it has a different transmission -- or both, PLEASE let us know?

At least 75% if the time I just shift from third to fifth. Fifth is perfect for 40-45mph IMO.

greenwar 05-30-2008 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 29749)
Hello,

I just wish there was a sixth gear...2,000RPM at 55mph and 2,500RPM at 65mph would be great. If anybody knows if the Yaris has a different final drive ratio, or if it has a different transmission -- or both, PLEASE let us know?

At least 75% if the time I just shift from third to fifth. Fifth is perfect for 40-45mph IMO.

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding the Yaris vs Xa, I think the Xa is more sport oriented with a higher ration axle possibly close to 4 than the Yaris. Yaris also has a taller gear ratio (still looking for gear ratio comparison). So even though both has the same drivetrain, Yaris wins the fuel consumption race.

Yaris Gear Ratio: Toyota FWD transmission named C54: (wikipedia)

3.250 reverse
Final Drive ratio: 3.72 (yahoo auto)

Scion Xa:
(source: http://www.toyoland.com/car-reviews/...fications.html)

1st 3.545
2nd 1.904
3rd 1.310
4th 0.969
5th 0.815
Reverse 3.250
Differential Ratio 4.312

NeilBlanchard 05-30-2008 04:34 PM

Hello,

That's perfect -- thanks for the info!

So, it looks like the xA has an "overdrive" 4th and 5th gear, a slightly taller 3rd gear, and they both have the same 1st & 2nd gears -- so the xA's high revs are due to the low ratio final drive?

The question that pops into my mind is -- can one get the Yaris final drive and just bolt it in; or change out the gears?

goodblues 05-30-2008 08:50 PM

Confirmed the 2800 RPM at 55. Since I don't drive "sporty" I would prefer the Yaris final ratio too, but it is an lot better then the Dodge Caravan I drove on my commute for several years. Its probably swappable, but I wonder how far out the payoff is to have it done. Closer and closer as prices go up. Sounds like a job for a spreadsheet.

whokilledthejams 05-31-2008 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 29749)
Hello,

The Toyota Echo has the same transmission and gearing as the Yaris as well.

It's also possible to squeeze in the 6 speed from the Celica GTS/MR2/Corolla XRS/Matrix XRS/Vibe GT, but that takes some creative fabrication. The engine will bolt up, but actually shoehorning it into the car requires modifying the engine cradle and transmission mounts.

But anyway, welcome! I too just joined, and suffer from overly tall gearing. The biggest problem with the xA/xB transmission is that 4th and 5th are too close together. I'd be happier with a taller 5th gear-- turning lower RPM at cruising speeds, while not sacrificing otherwise adequate acceleration would be nice.

Johnny Mullet 05-31-2008 02:26 PM

Welcome! I am also originally from Central PA, but now live in Ohio and still work in Western PA (see Signature) and love this place!

Enjoy your stay!

yakfishingfool 05-31-2008 09:00 PM

I also have an Xa, 2006 spec 3 number 1070. My first tank of "mixed driving" and I just figured it our to be about 44.8 mpg's. I think I can really hit 50 staying locally. My scanguage II ships on Monday. Scott

NeilBlanchard 06-01-2008 03:44 PM

Hello,

That's great mileage! My best (so far) is 43.5mpg, and I've averaged 37 or so for the three years I've had mine. (Though my duct tape on the upper grill mod-test is looking like I could hit 45mpg!)

What kind of tires are on yours?

yakfishingfool 06-01-2008 07:40 PM

factory round

NeilBlanchard 06-02-2008 12:57 PM

Hello,

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakfishingfool (Post 30221)
factory round

Yes...are they the Bridgestone, or Goodyear, or...? What kind of driving gets you 44+mpg? Do you have the manual or automatic transmission?

[Edit: I got 45.53mpg on my last tankful! This is the first full tank while I have the upper grill covered with duct tape -- my temporary test mod; I'm planning to use some black vinyl material to do a little better looking method of improving the air flow drag on my xA.]

goodblues 06-03-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 29734)
Greetings,

though now that I have duct taped the upper grill opening (the RS 2.0 has a unique open honeycomb grill), the current tankful is on track to beat that! :)

Neil,

Are you going to try a run taping over the lower grill opening instead of the upper one? My thought was to run a coroplast sheet over it at a test and see how it goes. How does the coolant temp run with the tape over the upper opening? Any results yet as far as potential performance improvement?

Thanks....

NeilBlanchard 06-03-2008 01:18 PM

Hello,

I could try the lower grill; but my guess is that it won't work as well -- but I should try it! The lower grill is recessed, whereas the upper one is flush. I also want to try covering the fog lights, though that will need a clear plastic cover.

Does your xA have a coolant gauge? Or are you using the ScanGaugeII? Mine just has a little light: it is blue when it is cool and warming up, it is off when it is normal, and it turns red when it is too hot. I have yet to see it red...

goodblues 06-03-2008 02:19 PM

I have the ScangaugeII and the temp is very consistent once warmed up, right around 181 so far. I image it will go up a little as the ambient air temp goes up over the summer. That would be my only concern, and I doubt that it would be an issue except under extreme conditions. I would also have to look where the AC unit is located, that might be an issue too.

I agree you would have to fill the lower grill to make it flush, but it is a pretty big area and might give more gains than the upper grill. I only have the running light recesses, no lights so that is less of an issue for me. There are no extras on mine. It is as stock as you can get it.

yakfishingfool 06-03-2008 03:59 PM

The standard goodyears. I'm mostly doing coasting with a controlled take off from lights, slower on the thruway, shifting at 1500rpm's without lugging the engine. I live at about 1200 feet and work at about 150 ft in elevation. So lot;s of coasting to work, and a slow and steady pace home with decel on hills, gaining on downhills. I have a scanguage coming especially with working with my motorhome for a long trip this summer. If I can get the fuel economy from 7.5mpg's to 9 or 10 mpg's I'll see a huge savings on a very long trip(florida from NY). Haven't mastered the p&g, but never use the engine to slow me down, coast out of parking lot;s etc. Fixed the nut behind the wheel mostly. YFF

harshalsk 08-26-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yakfishingfool (Post 30894)
Fixed the nut behind the wheel mostly. YFF

Can you please explain that? I own 2006 Scion xA Automatic (Stock prerty much)
I also do coasting to lights and stop signs since mine is Automatic transmission.

If I want to do engine-on coasting on my car in neutral at what RPMs I should go back to Drive? I just don't want this method to kill my tranny.

thanks

yakfishingfool 08-26-2010 03:43 PM

This is an oldie...

I'm the nut behind the wheel. Learned restraint and better driving tech's. As for an auto and coasting....never done it. Go standard all the way. During summer I am still getting 37-40mpg, slightly lower with the air going and at highway speeds over 70, and during the winter 34-37mpg.

NeilBlanchard 08-27-2010 08:49 AM

When you are coasting and want to keep/gain speed than put it in neutral. When you are coasting and you need to scrub speed leave it in drive or downshift into 3rd or 2nd, and right before you stop, even use 1st. When the engine is braking the car (with or without the friction brakes), then the fuel is cut off completely.

Coasting in neutral you can get 200-350mpg, depending on the speed, and you will can carry this as far as possible, so sometimes a mile or more. Coasting using the engine for braking gets you "infinite" mileage, but you can only get this while slowing down, so the distance is limited by definition.