Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Toyota HSD (Prius) manual regen control

This past weekend I went on a long trip (got awesome rockin mileage too, 63.7 mpg, best tank yet in the Prius). On this trip there were some good sized hills. Now, I was just using the cruise control in the Prius. So, when I go down these hills the cruise lifts off the gas completely. This enables a small amount of regenerative braking, but it won't keep you @ 55 mph which is what I had set my cruise set at. This made me start thinking about manual control over regen. At high speeds its not the easiest to tell when you transition from regen to regen + physical brakes. It would be very nice to be able to engage full regen before even thinking about using physical brakes. Of course, this would be even more useful in city driving.

So, I PMed Bwilson as he knows more about these cars than I do and he linked me to an article on autospeed on modifying regenerative braking. Bingo, excellent reference and a big thanks to Bob.

Apparently, the Prius has a pressure sensor on the hydraulic brake system. This is how it measures brake load.

So, armed with that knowledge, I think its pretty safe to say I should be able to make a small circuit that controls regen for a Prius. You could very easily make this like the Insight's MIMA setup and use a joystick to control the amount of regen.

Here is a diagram of Julian's modification which only works when the brake pedal is pushed. Mine would work just about opposite of his. When the brake pedal is pushed, the relay would close and allow normal operation. However, when the brake pedal is not pushed, the pot would control regenerative braking. Julian seems to think that this may cause problems with the ECU when it sees no brake switch activation, but sees brake pressure. I don't know if this will be a problem or not, but you could always add a relay to activate the brake switch in this situation which would fix that problem. Its also not a bad idea considering you really are braking and might want to let others know.

So, thoughts? Possible problems?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	111496_7mg.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	6352  
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-14-2010, 12:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Do it!

I'd definitely add the relay to turn on the brake lights when you're doing strong regen without pressing the brake pedal.

It's actually a frequently asked question about "throttle lift" regen in pure EV's, which can sometimes be adjusted to be very strong.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread