EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Second-gen Stop-Start technology coming 2013 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/second-gen-stop-start-technology-coming-2013-a-13592.html)

NeilBlanchard 06-17-2010 11:30 AM

Second-gen Stop-Start technology coming 2013

I think Stop-Start tech should be required on all ICE powered cars within a year or two.

Valeo's second-gen stop-start technology coming to 1M diesel Peugeots, Citroëns by 2013 — Autoblog Green

http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblo...artsschema.jpg

Daox 06-17-2010 11:34 AM

Too bad the EPA testing doesn't show any time stopped idling. This really is the reason we don't have start/stop here yet. I think Darin posted something a while ago about this and Nissan commenting on the EPA testing.

Piwoslaw 06-17-2010 02:36 PM

I can't wait for someone to hack it for ecomodder use: manually adjustable kick-in speed. Tailor it your own P&G needs.
Quote:

Best of all, this stop-start system could be easily adapted to almost any powertrain combo out there as a quick, relatively cheap way to increase fuel efficiency.
Could that mean retrofittable?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 179446)
Too bad the EPA testing doesn't show any time stopped idling. This really is the reason we don't have start/stop here yet. I think Darin posted something a while ago about this and Nissan commenting on the EPA testing.

I'd like to read that. Do you remember the link? I couldn't find it.

Xringer 06-17-2010 03:05 PM

Yeah, I hope someone makes a add-on i-StARS type kit for the Fords..
Could really help out with city driving.. (Which is about 90% of my driving these days).

Buying that i-StARS equipped car is sure to invoke Murphy's Law to insure
that you never hit another long red light again.. :rolleyes:

Nevyn 06-17-2010 03:08 PM

And would that be such a bad thing? :D :D :D

PaleMelanesian 06-17-2010 03:18 PM

Here it is:
Mazda: EPA Test Keeps Stop-Start Out | The Truth About Cars

Piwoslaw 06-17-2010 03:23 PM

Here's a little bit more info
Valeo sets hybrid stop-start solutions

Xringer 06-17-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 179474)

Wow! That's a lot of reading when you follow the links..
Some very interesting comments about the technology and,
the politics of the technology.

One commenter noted that if the EPA tested with real-life stops
embedded in the MPG tests, Honda and Prius type hybrids would rule,
since they use zero fuel while stopped.. (I guess the same is true of the Ford hybrids).

To do it right, you need to dump the small starter and alternator,
for a larger more robust motor-generator system. Hence the price tag.
Not really a cheap retrofit path for the older cars..

I guess maybe I'll keep doing it the old fashion way.. Just drive less.. :thumbup:

RobertSmalls 06-17-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 179445)

Three cables leaving the alternator and running to a gizmo with a giant heatsink... it's a three-phase AC motor with its own inverter. Same setup I've got in my car, but on a different scale. Also, I presume their inverter is 12V, thus saving the expense of a second battery.

As far as a DIY retrofit, I'm sure you could fit it to any car that has a big enough 12V battery. I assume this system does "regenerative alternatoring": charging your battery at a few hundred amps while you brake.

Just wait for someone to crash a car that has this system, then tell the U-pull that you're there to buy an alternator for your Peugeot. $15 later, you have MHYGALE (Mild HYbrid GenerALisablE).

Piwoslaw 06-18-2010 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 179529)
Just wait for someone to crash a car that has this system, then tell the U-pull that you're there to buy an alternator for your Peugeot. $15 later, you have MHYGALE (Mild HYbrid GenerALisablE).

Oh man, you're onto my scheme!