EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   seriously get off the cell phone (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/seriously-get-off-cell-phone-2963.html)

Compaq888 06-10-2008 05:17 PM

seriously get off the cell phone

i'm starting to get annoyed with people talking on the phone or people who are texting. if you thought i was driving slow, think again, the people go slower, block traffic while sitting on the green light, weave in their lane and sometimes even go into other people's lanes. Not to mention that the accidents they cause. I heard some cell phone law takes effect july 1st but i seriously doubt it will make a big impact.

Frank Lee 06-10-2008 05:27 PM

Recent cell phone/motorist encounters:

lady weaving between centerline and shoulder for miles- phone stuck to head

semi passing w/o adequate space, forcing oncoming car onto shoulder- semi driver guy with phone stuck to head

tailgated inches off back bumper for miles by suv- lady with phone stuck to head.

These people are a bigger menace than all this fabricated trumped-up b.s. about drunk drivers.

Duffman 06-10-2008 09:19 PM

It disappoints me to see ever increasing vehicle safety standards every year that makes new cars more expensive, harder to work on, heavier........... Yet the government is slow as molasses bringing in legislation to solve a problem that has been known for a decade and is getting people killed on the roads. It is coming, 3/10 Canadian provinces have or are currently enacting it, unfortunately its not where I live.

ttoyoda 06-10-2008 09:48 PM

This item is unlawful to own.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7059

do not order one!
:D
(I actually do not have one, but there are temptations sometimes)

TheDon 06-10-2008 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttoyoda (Post 33523)

do not order one!

ohhhhh... wonder what I could do with that.

Arminius 06-10-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 33435)
i'm starting to get annoyed with people talking on the phone or people who are texting. if you thought i was driving slow, think again, the people go slower, block traffic while sitting on the green light, weave in their lane and sometimes even go into other people's lanes. Not to mention that the accidents they cause. I heard some cell phone law takes effect july 1st but i seriously doubt it will make a big impact.

Yeah, I got stuck behind a lady at a stop sign while she was on the phone. She just sat there and talked. I couldn't go around here because traffic kept coming from the other direction. I honked at her and she turned and glared at me, like she was saying, "What's wrong with you, can't you see I'm on the %^&* phone!" I had to honk a few more times to get her to move. Apparently she was only going to move if she couldn't hear the person on the other end of the call.

TheDon 06-10-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arminius (Post 33530)
Yeah, I got stuck behind a lady at a stop sign while she was on the phone. She just sat there and talked. I couldn't go around here because traffic kept coming from the other direction. I honked at her and she turned and glared at me, like she was saying, "What's wrong with you, can't you see I'm on the %^&* phone!" I had to honk a few more times to get her to move. Apparently she was only going to move if she couldn't hear the person on the other end of the call.

reason why I love my small air horn.. I need to upgrade to a train horn

ttoyoda 06-10-2008 10:34 PM

Quote:

ohhhhh... wonder what I could do with that.
I have no idea. But whatever it is, I suggest a "Don't tell, and we won't ask" policy.

TheDon 06-10-2008 11:13 PM

hehehehehe....

Compaq888 06-10-2008 11:48 PM

i have such a puny horn on my civic. It sounds like a mouse coughing. I met a guy that had a civic with a train horn. That thing put everybody on their tip toes.

I'm thinking of putting on 2 accord horns. My dad has an 05 accord and whenever he honks his horn it sounds very authoritative.

Compaq888 06-10-2008 11:55 PM

Quote:

do not order one!

hehehe...oops dropped call...and another dropped call..oh it's dialing! NOPE! another dropped call muhahahha

BBsGarage 06-11-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duffman (Post 33515)
It disappoints me to see ever increasing vehicle safety standards every year that makes new cars more expensive, harder to work on, heavier........... Yet the government is slow as molasses bringing in legislation to solve a problem that has been known for a decade and is getting people killed on the roads. It is coming, 3/10 Canadian provinces have or are currently enacting it, unfortunately its not where I live.

From what I have seen having a law on the books about not using hand-held phones while driving does absolutely nothing!!!!!

Here in Jersey they made it a stoppable offense. The first week or three the police went on a spree, stopping ant and everyone that even looked like they were on the phone.

Now, it is back to business as usual.

Daox 06-11-2008 08:19 AM

On the rare occasion when I'm carpooling with my wife and am not driving I find myself looking around. It seems that at times up to 50% of the people on the highway are on their phone... It amazes me that we don't have more accidents.

NoCO2 06-11-2008 09:18 AM

Quote:

do not order one!

yea...I definitely dont have one of these mounted in my car....:rolleyes:

But seriously, the whole cell phone thing is annoying. Combine that with people's natural driving habits (crazy ass people in the NSSUV [not so suv]) and you have a mess on the road. I know New York already has a law about it, but it's like a LOT of the other traffic laws in existence they are WAY too lenient on the punishment and it's WAY under-enforced.

TheDon 06-11-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Compaq888 (Post 33592)
i have such a puny horn on my civic. It sounds like a mouse coughing. I met a guy that had a civic with a train horn. That thing put everybody on their tip toes.

I'm thinking of putting on 2 accord horns. My dad has an 05 accord and whenever he honks his horn it sounds very authoritative.

go to the junkyard and grab a set of horns of a cadilac edlorado or something 80's to mid 90's... those are some powerful horns.

I bought a Stebel air horn for my mercedes since the factory horn was weak

ttoyoda 06-11-2008 12:31 PM

Quote:

yea...I definitely dont have one of these mounted in my car....:rolleyes:
Yes, but I REALLY don't have one. I realize that in an online forum, this is as convincing as if I was claiming I was/was-not a virgin, a rocket scientist, or a stripper who likes cuddling and puppies, (pick one :D ), but it is still true. If I *did* have one, I would *never* mention it in a public forum.
However, if I can induce everyone ELSE to get one, the problems is solved for me as well. :thumbup:

i_am_socket 06-11-2008 01:00 PM

now is that 40 meters or 40 miles.... *edit* - meters. ok */edit*

Pretty much any close call on the road that I've had (not actual accidents, yet) is from some idiot on a cell phone. 9/10 it's a woman in a SUV. The other 1/10 is people not checking their mirrors or turning their heads before changing lanes because then they'd have to pull the cell away from their head.

+1 Jersey law is under-enforced. Too bad you can't just have a passenger photo the driver+license plate and send it in and get a bounty. I might be able to quit my job if I could do that around here!

ttoyoda 06-11-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

now is that 40 meters or 40 miles.
Must be meters. Even a cell tower does not have the power to connect to a phone from 40 miles, does it? Many more blockers are on the website, different power levels and costs. 40 miles also sounds like a atomic bomb solution to a gnat-swarm problem.

Tony Raine 06-11-2008 02:08 PM

you can click on the link in my sig to see how much i hate cell phone drivers

i have a sticker on the back of my bronco about cell phone drivers, but i'm not sure of this sites rating, so i wont post a pic. i'll just say it gets me a lot of dirty looks.

johnpr 06-11-2008 02:38 PM

hey!! i love my cell phone, after all how else am i supposed to report emergencies? j/k

but seriously, my only issue with a cell phone blocker is that it could potentialy prevent help getting to an emergency (for example an accident happens in front of you and you just so happen to be forced to stop behind it) but for your typical daily driving it wouldnt be too bad.

i really dislike people talking and not paying attention (also talking btw also means with passengers, i have seen tons of crazy stuff because of kids having passengers)

from my understanding dont the laws against driving with your cell allow headsets??
-john

comptiger5000 06-17-2010 07:26 PM

Yes, most of them do allow headsets. Which is definitely better, as it keeps your hands free, which is a start. And unlike passengers, there's nobody to look at while you're chatting.

Angmaar 06-17-2010 08:14 PM

Contrary to the teenager stereotype I keep my phone in my pocket and my eyes on the road.

gone-ot 06-17-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angmaar (Post 179505)
Contrary to the teenager stereotype I keep my phone in my pocket and my eyes on the road.

...congratulations, that makes you a-typical. :rolleyes:

Arragonis 06-18-2010 02:14 AM

Research here in the UK (where hand held anythings is supposedly illegal but common) said that passengers talking to you are OK. The reason is that they know when you need to concentrate and stop talking.

Obviously they never tested my Mrs.

Of course few people get done here - mainly because traffic policing is done by camera so fewer cops. Can't remember the last time I saw a traffic police car.