EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Seriously, start spending some money!! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/seriously-start-spending-some-money-18816.html)

JQmile 09-14-2011 09:31 PM

Seriously, start spending some money!!

A while back, I sold my diesel Chevette, which got 55-ish mpg BEFORE ecomodding. I was asking 3K, and nobody took the bait. Car was nice, no dents, and in good shape. If nobody has a little cash to spend on their ideals, than this movement will stay a very small fringe, among a very small group of people. I know I haven't posted on here for a while, but back your ideals with some $$$ to make this thing grow!

Frank Lee 09-14-2011 10:23 PM

3 large for an old Chevette- I think I have identified the source of your problem. :rolleyes:

Ryland 09-14-2011 11:47 PM

If I'm going to spend $3,000 on a car it's going to be electric or get 70mpg.

brucepick 09-15-2011 06:17 AM

I do spend $$. At places like the hardware store and Home Depot for mod project materials. Also parts stores for all kinds of miscellaneous stuff for projects and maintenance.

$3K is a lotta money for a nearly 30 year old car. Even if it does get that kind of mpg. Something is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it; I hope you got close to what you wanted.

Frank Lee 09-15-2011 07:05 AM

A couple years ago a Chevette turned up locally for sale. IIRC they wanted $200 or $300 for it, and it was even in pretty decent shape. Only reason I didn't drag it home is I'm almost at automotive critical mass already.

Sven7 09-15-2011 12:30 PM

My $400 gas Probe scored 45mpg the last tank. Why would I spend almost 8 times as much for ten more MPG with more expensive fuel? That would take years to pay for itself.

$3000 will get you a pretty decently modified rust free VW Rabbit with great aftermarket support. The Chevette is the ugly duckling of the early 80s both stylistically and mechanically. If your car is in museum quality with low miles I can understand the price but if anything at all is wrong with it I'd expect $1000 TOPS. It's a CHEvette, not a CORvette.

Sorry, most sane people don't want Chevettes. I think it'd be fun to have one to tool around in (in fact I have a framed Chevette ad in my room) but they're just not worth much money.

jakobnev 09-15-2011 12:42 PM

Doesn't $3000 almost get you a working early Prius in 'merica?

JQmile 09-15-2011 01:30 PM

Ok, ok you guys hate my Chevette, I get it. But, I still stand by my original statement.

UFO 09-15-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven7 (Post 261211)
My $400 gas Probe scored 45mpg the last tank. Why would I spend almost 8 times as much for ten more MPG with more expensive fuel? That would take years to pay for itself.

Not that I would pay $3K for an old Chevette either, but there are two good reasons to drive a diesel.

1. BIODIESEL - didn't come out of a dirty dark hole in the ground, and does not impact carbon dioxide concentration in the atmosphere.

2. BIODIESEL - cheap to make, for a US homebrewer it costs $2.50 less per gallon than gasoline.

I paid off my $1000 Mercedes 240D and my $500 processor in one year of commuting.

Sven7 09-15-2011 03:56 PM

Biodiesel is a very good point. We like the Chevette (at least I do- I like weird cars) but we just don't think $3000 is a reasonable price for it. BTW, do you have pics? :)