EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Short howdo (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/short-howdo-203.html)

Whoops 12-05-2007 07:48 PM

Short howdo

Hello. My name is Gary. I drive a 89 Honda Wagon, which has a grill block and high tire pressures. My car has had more than it's fair share of issues, although they all tied back into the screw in the distributor rotor coming out. I have a HF transismission I eventually would like to install, but I seem to spend most of my time keeping our family's cars running. Glad to be here.

SVOboy 12-05-2007 07:49 PM

Welcome to the site, :D

How are Whoop's wheels rolling?

Whoops 12-05-2007 08:04 PM

Well I passed my Ca smog on Monday, so that was a really good thing. I've been having trouble with a whole slug of issues, so the fee's were all paid, but I had been driving on a temp certificate. What surprised me was my last issue was a broken wire and a oxygen sensor with some very weird readings when I would measure it. This would only demonstrate itself in a check engine light, when I had been driving some distance and I would lightly let off on the gas. I had to repair the harness and put in a replacement oxygen sensor.

Lazarus 12-05-2007 08:35 PM

Welcome to the site. Has the car been pretty reliable?

Whoops 12-05-2007 08:59 PM

Overall I have been very happy with the car. When I purchased it, it had a spark plug broken off, in the head. Consequently, I took the engine apart, in the car. I had the head rebuilt, with new guides and then I just honed the cylinders, put in new rings, rod bearings, main bearings, water pump, timing belt and oil pump. I've put a tremendous number of miles on it, in the last year, with as many as 500 miles on a lot of weekends. I was very comfortable about it running and getting pretty good mileage, until the rotor screw disappeared, somewhere and the car bucked, kicked and snorted. That was in San Jose, in May and it's taken until this week to get everything fixed.

Somehow, the rotor coming loose caused a combination of failures, for the distributor, ecu, eacv, maybe the injectors and the oxygen sensor/wiring problems I finally got resolved last Saturday. Overall I've been really happy with the car, but apparently I didn't use locktite on that rotor screw, because I was the last person to work on it, previously.

The car has about 225,000 on it, it doesn't use any appreciable amount of oil and it passed smog at 10% of the allowable limits, so I am pretty happy with it.

I have the drivers side seat on a modified bracket, so I have plenty of leg room and the wagon has a higher roof line than the sedan, so I have good head clearance, as well.

Sorry about the wordy response, guess I like the car, overall, especially at the gas pump, when I do have to go there.

Lazarus 12-05-2007 09:03 PM

Sounds like a keeper for sure. Be sure and put it in the garage with pic's when that option is available. Welcome aboard. It will be nice to have someone with your knowledge and expertise around. :turtle: woot

cfg83 12-19-2007 02:44 AM

(Gary) Whoops -

Welcome to EM! Sorry about the rotor screw. I hate it when the "little things" lead to bigger problems.

CarloSW2