EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   Slow down. My philosophy for life also applies to the road. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/slow-down-my-philosophy-life-also-applies-road-24213.html)

SVOboy 12-05-2012 09:10 PM

Slow down. My philosophy for life also applies to the road.

This is Ecomodder.com. If you are reading this, you are probably already well aware of the effect that speed has on gas mileage, and you are probably aware of the affect that fuel use has on the environment, national security, and your own wallet. But in my time in the forums it has been clear [...]

More...

star_deceiver 12-06-2012 02:02 AM

Driving from SF to LA on I-5.... I'll gladly buy the extra 3 gallons and take my chances with everyone else.

Daox 12-06-2012 08:39 AM

Very well written article. Makes all the good points about safety, time, money, and the stupidness that is speeding.

freebeard 12-07-2012 01:22 AM

I'd forgotten EcoModder has articles. Thanks! :) I guess I need to get out more.

It's a good, persuasive, article, but could use some editing; there's an affect/effect and one other thing.

I wonder if it would have swayed me in my impressionable youth.

drainoil 12-08-2012 06:52 PM

Our nation with the ADD short attention span need it now get there as fast as you can philosophy needs to change. Apparently hope and change has not really brought either of any when it comes to driving.

Smurf 12-08-2012 07:17 PM

I get a good laugh when the 4x4 urban assault vehicle next to me stomps on the Go pedal, and with a huff, puff, and a gigantic cloud of smoke, they roar to the next stop light.

Just as I slowly arrive next to them, quietly, efficiently, safely, legally...

Stratocaster 12-14-2012 04:48 PM

Heh, it still amazes me that people can be so clueless. I mean, I used to be a leadfoot, but at least I was never one of those people commuting to work in a massive land-barge – with only one occupant. Such a waste. Oddly enough, seeing drivers like that actually motivates me to work harder to improve my own mpg.

radioranger 12-14-2012 06:45 PM

Well as a former fast driver who like others has come to enjoy hypermiling as an alternative lifestyle, I have discovered one thing that can maybe sway a younger driver who feels they must speed, compliment them on their driving!! then point out a few things they can do to improve, like be more aware on blind corners to slow down, prolong the life of their brakes and one thing thats saved me many times and got me compliments fom passenger, unspoken , but noticed when they are not nervous with me when faster driving, it's to always lift my foot off the gas a bit when anything comes up that might be involving braking, this puts my passenger at rest that I'm planning ahead, i can hardly drive with anyone who has their foot on the gas till they have the brake on, my 66 Mustang which I raced regularly everywhere had the original rear brakes for over 18 years! and fronts almost the same, just by planning, if the kids would learn that one trick , saves your life hundreds of times . but complimenting them first makes them want to seem better and they will listen,

hamsterpower 12-14-2012 07:31 PM

"There is no award for driving too fast on the road. There is a reward for driving slower."

radioranger 12-14-2012 07:55 PM

As the owner of a Ranger with almost 400 K miles I agree, the trick is to convince others to follow suit. kind of a weird card game wording there. My Dad used to be such a smooth driver it would frustrate me as a teen, i could almost not tell when the car moved or stopped , and I dont ever recall him putting brakes on a car. Course he was a pilot and a boat captain , things you dont usually horse around . His advice was , anybody can drive fast , you've got to be smooth, that's the key. and it's been good advice these 45 years,