Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2017, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

High MPG Vehicle or Custom Build?

Hello,

I drive an average of 100 miles Monday through Friday for work. I drive a lifted '99 4runner on 35" mud tires... gas bill has been adding quick and I have started to look for good looking efficient car that I can modify. I settled on a 2003 Jetta TDI with the ALH motor in a 5 speed manual. I am still looking for "the one" low miles, clean title, no body damage, etc. I have been reading TDI forums none stop. I do not care if I get my money back after modifications from saving gas so please no preaching about how I drive. So far the main essentials on my build list are 17/22 turbo, PP520 injectors, FMIC, PD150 manifold, tune, clutch upgrade, aero mods, etc.

TODAY, I was reading a forum about aero mods for the Jetta and found were somebody posted about good info on this sight for eco mods. So I started browsing this website and found the URBA CENTURION! Spiked my interest real quick. But then I found were you have to make the body yourself... I can turn a wrench all day long and I have the equipment/space/money to do something like that but I hate working with fiberglass. Looked and looked and I could not find were I could just buy the body for the Centurion....

Is there a similar build as the Centurion that would allow me to get those kind of MPG? Kit? Any other success stories like the Centurion that is well documented?

Any cars you can take and do a motor swap on and modify it to get +100mpg?

I have to have a manual transmission and it can not look like a Prius.

Any advice is welcomed.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Welcome to ecomodder.

There is a vast amount of information here. The search box in the upper right is your friend.

I'm curious why you settled on the Jetta. Better mileage than the Prius? Why do you need a manual transmission when a single-speed electric drivetrain is most efficient?

If your looking for a project, rather than going anywhere, there's Robt. Q Riley. If you interest is the TDI into a kit there was https://www.smythkitcars.com/6-8 years ago.

vw tdi kit car - TDIClub Forums

Why not get a New Beetle TDI and boat tail it?

Edit: If it's about ROI and commuting; then an $8K off-lease Nissan Leaf is the best bet. How much do you pay for a kilowatt of electricity?

Last edited by freebeard; 04-11-2017 at 12:51 AM..
Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Not a fan of the look of a Prius.

I enjoy driving a manual, automatics are boring.

I want something that will be reliable (with proper maintenance) and I do not want to rely on a battery.

I have seen Robt. Q Rileys website, where you buy the plans for building a Centurion. I do not want to build a body from scratch.

Smyth kit cars are trying to turn a car into a truck. If I needed a truck bed I would buy a truck.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Get a manual transmission G1 Insight, then mod it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Natalya For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (04-11-2017), Ecky (04-29-2020)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Not a fan of the look of a Prius.
Is it the loft line, surface development, or the sparkley gingerbread detailing?

Quote:
I enjoy driving a manual, automatics are boring.
Do you enjoy using the brake pedal as much?

Quote:
I want something that will be reliable (with proper maintenance) and I do not want to rely on a battery.
Those are not necessarily two different things. Personally, I'm holding out until solid electrolyte or flow-cell batteries.

Quote:
Robt. Q Rileys ...
Smyth kit cars...
Get what you like and stop playing Why Don't You — Yes But. If, you know, you care to and all...
Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya View Post
Get a manual transmission G1 Insight, then mod it.
This!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
rmay635703 (04-15-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Step back and examine what you're asking:
...gas bill has been adding quick and I have started to look for good looking efficient car that I can modify.
But I do not care if I get my money back after modifications from saving gas so please no preaching about how I drive.

Your ideal is ... modify it to get +100mpg?
But ...it can not look like a Prius.

As an aside, do you know why a Prius looks that way? It's because math doesn't care about your feelings.

Anyway, you say you don't like the money you're wasting on gas, but you "can not" be seen in something that doesn't burn much gas. You want to be seen in something cool and bang a wrench on it to make it give you magically high mileage, but don't want to operate it in a way that increases its numbers. Because racecar (and keep it quiet, but also wallet).

You get efficient results by taking an efficient machine and operating it efficiently. You can take an inefficient machine and modify it to be more efficient, and that's great. If your goal is "look what I made," then go for it and enjoy the hell out of it. The biggest, most effective mod, though, is adjusting the nut behind the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks X2. But, I don't want to come across as cranky. I agree that the Prius is 'purdy' if you look at it and squint.

But I sincerely want OP to reply again. I am curious what the 'self-selected average' person thinks about regen. Is not having to touch the brake pedal more fun or less fun. Inquiring minds...
Old 04-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

All these responses clearly did not read my original post. So before you reply how about you actual read what I was asking.

Fat Charlie I clearly said I don't want to hear preaching about driving. I know how to drive efficient when I want to. I HATE going to a forum about a mod for Improving gas mileage and some idiot starts preaching about the driving style.

I also stated I do not like the look of a Prius which looks exactly like a turd insight.

If you can't comprehend wanting to building a good looking vehicle that has the capability of out performing that turd box you call an insight/prius then please don't respond. Go hug your tree, talk about poor dying animals, charge your batteries or whatever else liberals do...

MY QUESTION:
"Is there a similar build as the Centurion that would allow me to get those kind of MPG? Kit? Any other success stories like the Centurion that is well documented?"

Is a Honda insight similar to a Centurion build??? NOPE

Is a Prius similar to a Centurion build??? NOPE

An actual modification to a car requires tools, experience, and hard work. Things I have seen people do on this website for "Hypermiling Mods" is tape Duct Tape and card board for "aerodynamics".... this is not an actual modification, this you trying to make yourself feel good because you lack the skills to actually do something. You are giving yourself a participation trophy and patting yourself on the back.

If you are not responding to my question about similar builds to the Centurion then move on. And if you think your turd box is similar to a Centurion then your opinion is worthless.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
If you really want to do the custom thing get a beater to drive around till it's done. Paying for gas for a 100 mIle each way drive on a 4 runner with big tires is way too much. It can't be getting more than 20mpg.
So I'm guessing you are buying about 10 gallons of gas every work day and a set of mud tires every 6 to 9 months. Or 12 months if you run them till they look like drag slicks.

Have you ever thought about getting rid of mud tires and getting tire chains and highway or A/T tires? That way you are not wearing out a set of soft rubber muds every 6 to 9 months by putting highway miles on them?
Highway tires with chains will do better than any mud tire at 50% tread depth and do better than most muds at 75% remaining tread deapth.
Or get a highway set of wheels run them and take the mud wheel set off and leave them at home when you don't need them?

Last edited by oil pan 4; 04-11-2017 at 10:23 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (04-15-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread