EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   SMCC Montreal Economy Run - June 9th, 2012 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/smcc-montreal-economy-run-june-9th-2012-a-21138.html)

nerdboy 03-25-2012 05:06 PM

SMCC Montreal Economy Run - June 9th, 2012

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...Banner2010.jpg

The Club Smart guys have already pinged me about the event, so we've posted it nice and early to give everyone time to fit it into their calendars:

Click here for the flyer with all the info

Click here for the teaser video

The rally-style Economy Run will be held on the Saturday of F1 weekend. This should give out-of-towners a good excuse to come up to Montreal. We had a great time two years ago when it also coincided with F1 weekend. If you're happy with couch/thermarest accommodations, we can surely hook you up, and take you out for some of the F1 fun.

But the big question is, what will Mike Kamm have to show up in to defend his title and beat the 3.89L/100km record he set last year???

EDIT 10 07 12: Added the results so you don't have to go digging for them further in this thread

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...esults2012.png

Click here for the photo album

Below are the results from 2010 and 2011. Route will again be identical.

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...esults2011.png

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...esults2010.jpg

echo-francis 03-25-2012 09:43 PM

i was about to create a thread about that but is was there :) i will be there
but i have a question, do we have to drive the speed limit or we can go under:)

nerdboy 03-25-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo-francis (Post 295703)
do we have to drive the speed limit or we can go under:)

You can drive at any speed, but you will have to complete the sections within the given time in order not to be penalized. The "fastest" section corresponds to driving about 85% of the speed limit.

In other words, you have challenging real-time decisions to make about fuel-economy vs. punctuality. This makes the event a good real world test. ;)

echo-francis 03-25-2012 11:07 PM

is it calculated like exemple there is 40km between A and B and the speed limit is 70kph you have to drive a least 60 kph to make it in time (60 is 85% of 70) and and if there are stops and lights you have to go faster besause slowing down for a stop drop your minimum average seppd of 60

or its calculated like someone just make the run and he was driving x% of the speed limit and his run is the target time

nerdboy 03-26-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echo-francis (Post 295721)
is it calculated like exemple there is 40km between A and B and the speed limit is 70kph you have to drive a least 60 kph to make it in time (60 is 85% of 70) and and if there are stops and lights you have to go faster besause slowing down for a stop drop your minimum average seppd of 60

Yes, it's calculated like a TSD rally where there are only elapsed time sections. If you drive at the speed limit, you have sufficient time to complete the section including stop signs, traffic lights, etc.

The navigator will know how much time you have left to complete each section, and you can adjust your speed/hypermiling to ensure that you make it to the end of section just in time. OR, in some cases, it may be advantageous to take a small time penalty to save fuel... ;)

The instructions look like this (max 11 minutes to complete this section):

http://www.smccrally.com/events/Econ...ctions2010.jpg

MetroMPG 03-26-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdboy (Post 295645)
But the big question is, what will Mike Kamm have to show up in to defend his title and beat the 3.89L/100km record he set last year???

PSSSsssst! Mike!

Let's combine forces! 1st generation Honda Insight + you as co-pilot. :D

CigaR007 03-26-2012 02:06 PM

I might join again this year. I might have to undertake my ecomods if I want to beat echo-francis ! :p

Battle of the ECHOs or EGOs ? :D

tercelguy 03-26-2012 05:38 PM

I'm gonna be back with my Tercel again this year, ECHO-modders beware;)

My friend will also probably come with his 2004 Echo hatch

A.J. 03-26-2012 11:19 PM

The event sounds like a lot of fun, but I'll probably be travelling around that time...

Plus, my Protege's FE would be quite laughable :p

blownb310 03-31-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 295842)
PSSSsssst! Mike!

Let's combine forces! 1st generation Honda Insight + you as co-pilot. :D

Sounds interesting Darin, but I doubt that I would be any good as a navigator.

Jeff, I'm excited to see your announcement of this fun and challenging event! And your gracious hospitality is always much appreciated. Please count me in for an overnight again this year.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../B124WD006.jpg
I bought a clapped out '97 Geo Metro and was thinking I would like to enter it this year to see if I could make it three wins in three years, with three different cars.

But I haven't gotten the Metro on the lift yet to see if it is worth repairing the rust or not.

euromodder 03-31-2012 06:50 PM

Can I borrow that Smart Diesel ? ;)

MetroMPG 04-02-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blownb310 (Post 297182)
But I haven't gotten the Metro on the lift yet to see if it is worth repairing the rust or not.

Of course it's worth repairing! It clearly has a crabon fliber hood!

HyperMileQC 04-02-2012 01:17 PM

Still needing a co-pilot Darin? lol, i will be there with echo-francis.

MetroMPG 04-02-2012 02:07 PM

You're not already driving/co-piloting? Bringing your Insight?

MetroMPG 04-02-2012 02:14 PM

Question about re-fueling methods, Jeff:

The Honda Insight is known to flood the evaporative emissions system when filled "to the brim" - meaning, you can see the fuel level in the filler neck, then it slowly drops. You can send several "extra" liters of fuel into the evap system if you keep filling & pausing like this.

Since this presents a potential problem (both for the vehicle, and potentially incorrect fuel consumption calcs) would you be willing to take the car's on-board fuel consumption computer reading for this event?

blownb310 04-02-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 297583)

:D Yes it's a used hood [as I'm sure you know]. I have to scuff it down and paint it white. I worked on the car all day yesterday and there seems to be hope for it. The plan is to enter it in this event. I sincerely hope you can get someone to navigate for you, as we missed not having you at last year's event.

blownb310 04-02-2012 03:15 PM

Jeff feels that Team Swift is planning on a more serious effort this year. I hope we can keep the Ecomodders in front once again.

Did you know that the diesel Smarts are only .8 liter!

MetroMPG 04-02-2012 03:19 PM

Yes, but there's the issue of their automated-manual gearboxes, making it harder to wring max efficiency out of them vs. if they had a 100% manual. (I could be mistaken, that's my understanding anyway.)

CigaR007 04-02-2012 03:21 PM

It would be cool to see those Smarts ecomodded ! Then again, it would be harder to beat them..:D

nerdboy 04-02-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 297625)
Since this presents a potential problem (both for the vehicle, and potentially incorrect fuel consumption calcs) would you be willing to take the car's on-board fuel consumption computer reading for this event?

We will use the same honour system as in the past - as long as you fill up at the same pump and with the same system, we'll count those results.

If you feel that the refueling is inaccurate, we can defer to your computer reading. No problems!

nerdboy 04-02-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CigaR007 (Post 297638)
It would be cool to see those Smarts ecomodded ! Then again, it would be harder to beat them..:D

Well, you can follow what they're up to on their forum:

Club smart Québec | Le portail smart au Québec • Consulter le sujet - L'économie Run, la revanche!!!

Good chance for everyone to practice their French. ;)

I already see a remapped biodiesel Smart - should be interesting this year!

CigaR007 04-02-2012 11:10 PM

Aye ! Remapped Biodiesel Smart...:eek:

I believe the competition will be even harder this year ! :thumbup:

echo-francis 04-02-2012 11:20 PM

my goal is to beat those smart:D but y know they can do nothing against a frist gen honda insight :cool:

HyperMileQC 04-19-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 297623)
You're not already driving/co-piloting? Bringing your Insight?

I was joking hehe... its just because i like the insight, but sadly, i don't have one. But i plan to buy one... eventually:thumbup:

blownb310 04-19-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 297583)

I painted my Metro's hood today and scrubbed the interior clean last week. The new rear wheel bearings came in so I should be driving it soon and getting it ready for beautiful Montreal.

Mike

nerdboy 04-19-2012 10:00 PM

Tesla?

Glad to hear everyone's getting ready! I'm hoping to find the time to craft a chin spoiler for the Levin this year. :)

There's a chance that we'll have a Tesla coming out from Ottawa: check out this thread on MCO. That would be very interesting.

The FIA has some magic formula for scoring electric cars. At the very least we should be able to determine how much energy the car consumed over the route and use that for comparison.

MetroMPG 04-25-2012 03:41 PM

That would be interesting! dbg is a member here too (and posts occasionally), and of EVCO (EV Council of Ottawa).

---

Jeff - count me and Will in with a gen. 1 Honda Insight (either 2000 or 2001 - haven't decided whose car we'll use). In 2010 Will and I drove in his Civic (since retired).

Does the generous offer of couch space chez-toi still stand?

MetroMPG 04-25-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdboy (Post 301847)
The FIA has some magic formula for scoring electric cars. At the very least we should be able to determine how much energy the car consumed over the route and use that for comparison.

It has a resettable on-board consumption meter, I believe. We can convert to MPGe or Le/100 km using energy equivalence of gasoline. On that basis, he'll certainly whip any of our old-school internal combustion butts!

JethroBodine 04-25-2012 08:12 PM

This rally is the reason I got my Enhanced Drivers license last year and I didn't get to go:(. This year, I'm redoubling my efforts and will( should) have the car one color by June 1. I may need a navigator. Mon Francaise n'est pas tres bien.

nerdboy 04-26-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 303050)
Jeff - count me and Will in with a gen. 1 Honda Insight (either 2000 or 2001 - haven't decided whose car we'll use). In 2010 Will and I drove in his Civic (since retired).

Does the generous offer of couch space chez-toi still stand?

Excellent! Very much looking forward to having you again!

Yes, the couch and therm-a-rest space is all yours. Mike will be staying over again too. As we did two years ago, if you'd like to spend two nights and enjoy some of the F1 fun, just let me know. And for anyone else out of town, let me know if you need accommodations - we can surely get you hooked up. ;)

nerdboy 04-26-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JethroBodine (Post 303110)
I may need a navigator. Mon Francaise n'est pas tres bien.

The instructions are fully bilingual and you'll have no problem functioning purely in English. If you're stuck for a navigator as we get closer to the event, let me know and we can try to find someone local for you. ;)

nerdboy 04-26-2012 08:49 AM

Pre-registration is now open!

Please sign up online if you're planning to attend - this helps give an idea of how many cars to prepare for and gives an idea of what the field will look like. No worries if you sign up and then have to bail at the last minute.

Click here for pre-registration, and then simply enter your info in the following format: Driver & Co-driver - Year Make Model

Thanks!

MetroMPG 04-26-2012 10:35 AM

Registered. OK, registered twice! (After reading the instructions :D)

2 nights sounds great to me. Always enjoy exploring Montreal.

Jeff: can you confirm you enjoy a good beer?

blownb310 04-26-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 303221)

2 nights sounds great to me. Always enjoy exploring Montreal.

Ditto for me as well!

I'd love to see EV's participate at this event. I have become interested in them and am strongly considering buying a 2011 Think City.

blownb310 04-26-2012 11:42 PM

I'm registered and David Wood has agreed to be my navigator again this year. :)

nerdboy 04-27-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Jeff: can you confirm you enjoy a good beer?

Of course! Glad everyone can spend the weekend. There's also no shortage of exotic high octane fuel in the freezer too:

http://dungen.ca/jeff/party/imgVodka120331.jpg

nerdboy 05-06-2012 10:33 PM

Teaser Video

Cover your ears from 0:05 to 0:17 :p

blownb310 05-06-2012 11:40 PM

Very nicely done Jeff! Thanks for taking the time to create the video. I'm looking forward to the adventure in Montreal again this year, especially since Darin and Will are joining us again!

Mike

JethroBodine 05-09-2012 08:08 PM

I'm all approved to travel on Friday, party like a fool on Friday night, and coast my brains out on Saturday. I'll be traveling alone, will need a navigator, and a spot to sleep on Friday night( couch or even a place to park the car as I'm building it to sleep in the back anyway). I'll be heading back home Saturday night. I did preregister.

Also, guess I better stop and pick up something to drink if that's all you have for the weekend:thumbup:... by the way... what's in the skull:D?

JethroBodine 05-09-2012 08:28 PM

Quote:

Oops. Me too:o