EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   snake maneuver (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/snake-maneuver-5085.html)

gasti_ako 09-13-2008 11:19 AM

snake maneuver

would you recommend shifting lanes all the time just to maintain your speed?

this seems to be agressive driving for me. your opinions guys?

Tango Charlie 09-13-2008 11:58 AM

If you leave plenty of room in front of the cars you're passing, and not exceeding the speed limit, I wouldnt' call it aggressive driving. Here in the U.S., if you're going the speed limit, you aint passin' nobody. Except in a traffic jam.
Are you talking about stop and go, heavy traffic? In that case, I think it would be better to leave a buffer between you and the car ahead, and stay in your lane. I think The List refers to this as 'play the accordian'.

cfg83 09-13-2008 01:59 PM

gasti_ako -

Hmmmmmmm. In my opinion, that's a personal preference, and it is based on what your commute experience is like. Tango Charlie's advice is good.

Here is what I do on the freeways in Los Angeles. I drive in the far right line 90% of the time. Because if this, I have to watch for drivers entering the freeway. Depending on the situation, I may have to waste gas slowing down or speeding up. If I use the second to the right lane, I can avoid this, but I also have to increase my average speed, which can also hurt MPG. Staying in the far right is more stressful because I have to spend more time watching cars, but this is the choice I have made. When I have a passenger, I usually pick the second to the right lane so that they do not have to feel stressed when cars enter the freeway.

I read about your traffic jam commute. Maybe you should start timing your commutes with different driving strategies. spend a week doing "snake driving" and spend a week doing your normal driving. Without experiencing your commute I am guessing that you will improve your MPG and commute time a little, but you will be more stressed when you get there. Depending on how aggressive you are, "snake driving" sounds like it increases your chance of an accident.

There is a really good example of driving in traffic (drive slowly to reduce the jams), but I can't find it on Ecomodder right now.

Question: Are there alternate roads you can use to get to work? Los Angeles is a different city, but I like to use streets that are parallel to the main streets when I have to drive into traffic jams.

CarloSW2

ankit 09-13-2008 04:04 PM

I switch lanes a couple of times to avoid slowing down for those entering the local road, but I am well aware of my surroundings and don't go too slow or mess up the flow. So in my case I would say no it is not aggressive driving.

groar 09-13-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 61004)
There is a really good example of driving in traffic (drive slowly to reduce the jams), but I can't find it on Ecomodder right now.

Is it what you are talking about : SCIENCE HOBBYIST: Traffic Waves, physics for bored commuters ?

Denis.

instarx 09-13-2008 04:22 PM

I don't thing shifting lanes is aggressive driving, although aggressive drivers shift lanes.

All jets are airplanes, but not all airplanes are jets.

Yaristock 09-13-2008 07:58 PM

You mean like how on a bicycle going up hill you would make a series of snake like curves to ease the load on your legs going up hill, essentially make it feel as if the hill wasn't as steep. Or on roller skates going backwards you do the same thing to gain momentum. I suppose you could, but constantly shifting lanes, or swerving between lanes may make you a target for cops; who think you are drunk and avoiding imaginary cars. Besides wouldn't turning the tires fractionally increase the load on the engine and increase rolling resistance by adding a twisting force to the contact patch?

cfg83 09-13-2008 11:27 PM

groar -

Quote:

Originally Posted by groar (Post 61035)
Is it what you are talking about : SCIENCE HOBBYIST: Traffic Waves, physics for bored commuters ?

Denis.

Yes, that's what I was looking for. Here's the Ecomodder thread :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...oples-309.html

CarloSW2

Newton 09-14-2008 12:20 AM

like ankit says i too change lanes to avoid stopping/slowing down for people turning. it seems like a complete waste to dissipate all that energy with your brakes and then have to waste even more to get back up to speed when you can easily just properly signal your way around them.

LostSouthernStar 09-21-2012 03:10 AM

Your best bet would be if on a 3 or more lane road, choose the middle lane so you are not impeding speeders on the left nor are you having to worry about slowing down with those turning in the right lane, everyone can go around you on both sides, plus it allows the morons to pass you by and continue on with the rest of the pack. :)

niky 09-21-2012 10:39 PM

Knowing the type of traffic you're driving in, it's not better. Snake driving indicates that you haven't been paying attention or planning, and have been caught in the wrong lane. Changing out of it instead of stopping will decrease the amount of time spent idling. But to merge successfully, you sometimes have to accelerate.

Plan ahead. Spot your gaps. Time your merge. That means that you will not have to stop without having to speed up to make the gap, either.

Alternate routes are the best, though, or avoiding rush hour. That alone can make a 20-30% difference in economy, given what I've seen driving in typical Manila traffic.

SentraSE-R 09-22-2012 01:10 AM

I'm a right laner myself. I'm usually the slowest car on the road, so I courteously stay out of faster drivers' way. I use merging traffic and right turners as an excuse to slow down even more (and get better mpgs).

As for driving in the middle lane and making traffic pass you on left and right, read your traffic laws. "SLOW TRAFFIC STAY RIGHT" isn't a recommendation on US highways. It's the law.