EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   So it begins... 1st "you ecomodders are stoopid!" rant of the latest gas price spike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/so-begins-1st-you-ecomodders-stoopid-rant-latest-21330.html)

MetroMPG 04-06-2012 02:15 PM

So it begins... 1st "you ecomodders are stoopid!" rant of the latest gas price spike

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1333736220

During the gas price run-up in 2008, more than a few people felt the sudden need to communicate their hate for ecomodding and/or hypermiling on this forum.

We used to get people signing up specifically to tell us things like:

Quote:

"HAHAHA MY [insert overpowered car/truck model here] GETS 9 MPG YOU GUYZ CAN SUCK IT! STOOPID MODS!! YOU'RE CARS ARE REDICULUS!"
(Comments often included a general questioning of the masculinity of any persion who would be interested in efficiency.)

The haters sometimes even went back to their favourite [insert overpowered car/truck model here] forum to post a link back to their post on EcoModder so they could share their hilarious "putting-ecomodders-in-their-place conquest" with their comrades.

Funny thing is, when the recession hit and fuel prices plummeted, these guys disappeared. The apparent need to provoke the efficiency enthusiasts evaporated!

Well.... they're baaaack...

Received today via the EcoModder "Contact Us" form:

Quote:

Your mods are absolutely ridiculous.

From what I have just read I should be getting 100 percent fuel efficiency. Yes aerodynamics can help, by a small margin, but you are missing the point. In all the money you would spend on a combination of engine and aerodynamic upgrades. It could only go so far. No matter how aerodynamic a car is, the engine still has to power it, the flywheel has to spin, transmission turn, differential turn. The most drag comes from those points, as well as the efficiency.

Lets see someone spend upwards of 20 000$ just to make a car more fuel efficient? Wait a minute wont that be more than the cost of fuel they would have to use for the lifespan of their car if they didn't mod it at all?

For $20 000 I would take my 1986 300x to performance, and buy a fuel efficient crotchrocket that would still be faster, or a econo box. Why waste the fun in life for a worry of gasoline prices! Jesus have fun, live hard, love fast, die young.
(That's actually the second one I've had lately - deleted the first one without thinking much about it.)

What is it about high fuel prices that brings these guys out of the woodwork?

I will admit I have absolutely zero desire to join a yarn bombing group. But I never find myself driven by a burning need to contact yarn bombers to tell them exactly why I will not be doing the things they seem to be interested in doing.

---> Hater t-shirt image from: DGK If You Got Haters Shirt (White) : A2B Board Shop

RunningStrong 04-06-2012 03:02 PM

And yet the same people spend money turning a road car into a "race" car, except it'll never be a race car.

cleanspeed1 04-06-2012 03:08 PM

They work for the oil companies as shills. Let's call them "ProTrolls". They get paid to travel around and cause trouble:D

Screw 'em. I like speed and power like the next person, yet there really isn't a challenge in making stupid power anymore. I can trip over myself and make a 1000hp streetcar. So what.

Try building a car that can bust 100 mpg without hypermiling, seat 4 comfortably and be inexpensive. That's a real challenge. Or how about a van that can seat 8 and get 60 mpg.

t vago 04-06-2012 03:08 PM

Meh... let them hate. Take comfort in the fact that on these boards that these yahoos come from, you'll likely see a lot of "my overpowered vehicle for sale" threads. Gee, I wonder why...

cfg83 04-06-2012 04:41 PM

MetroMPG -

No problem here :

1999 Saturn SW2 Wagon Gas Mileage (1999 Saturn SW2) - EcoModder.com
Quote:

Efficiency log for: 1999 Saturn SW2 - 1999 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Total gallons used: 1897.25
Total miles traveled: 80996.37
Total cost: $6602.44
Total saved: 1102.61 gallons
Total saved: $3837.08
Average tank distance: 234.09

CarloSW2

mcrews 04-06-2012 04:42 PM

A hater will always use extreme exageration at some point.
"spend :eek: $20,000..." :rolleyes:

Couple of thoughts...
1. I don't think (imho) that every poster on this board, put together, has spent $20,000. Much less any one person.
(i should exempt the guy who built the aero tractor trailer rig)
2. as a population group, we are basicly cheap. That's the whole point
3. Unlike 'speed freaks and ricers', 99% of our mods actually do work at usable day to day speeds. Their mods only really work at wot.

Frank Lee 04-06-2012 04:49 PM

There is a surprisingly large segment of people who regularly practice "anti-logic" a.k.a. willful ignorance and as astonishing as it is, they go to great lengths to trumpet their ignorance to as many as they can rather than hide it in shame as they ought to.

mcrews 04-06-2012 05:11 PM

go here to post spending and saving results!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ing-21333.html

Gealii 04-06-2012 06:14 PM

They can rant all they want i can put little into modding and use the money i save from modding to put into that high hp higher torqued truck for trail riding its a win win there

Cd 04-06-2012 07:00 PM

These guys feel the need to down people here because they see you doing things that actually work and even save money, yet their ego won't allow them to join in.

They try to release their frustration through insults.

Same idea as when you see some kid in school with a girl that you like.

Human nature is to try and insult ( or even fight ) the threat.