EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Solid State Batteries - The End of Internal Combustion? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/solid-state-batteries-end-internal-combustion-37985.html)

NeilBlanchard 11-18-2019 12:40 PM

Solid State Batteries - The End of Internal Combustion?

Joe Scott reports on solid state batteries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0nA8CfxBqA

Among many other things, solid state batteries could mean that your average EV might have a 700 mile range.

freebeard 11-27-2019 06:18 PM

Plus not exploding is a nice touch.

So we trade Big Oil for Big AC?

oil pan 4 11-27-2019 10:38 PM

Since there appears to be effectively 0 demand for a 700 mile ev the OEMs will probably just put a smaller cheaper lighter battery in there and keep the range around 300 to 400 miles max.

redpoint5 11-28-2019 06:17 AM

Range is mostly unimportant if the battery can be quickly charged. 250 miles is plenty assuming the full range could be recovered rapidly. No point purchasing more battery than necessary and lugging around the extra weight and volume when not needed.

HaroldinCR 11-28-2019 10:16 AM

The model 3 gets a supposed range of 300 miles with just over half as many cells as the model S and X, so even in the heavier cars, imagine the range using the 2170 new cells with reduced amounts of cobalt making the cells a bit cheaper to make and less per battery overall.

And Musk is talking million mile batteries since he bought Maxell with their super capacitor technology.

Stubby79 11-28-2019 10:52 AM

Don't see any point in getting excited until they're rolling off the assembly lines...until then, it's just more big claims to get grant money.

NeilBlanchard 11-30-2019 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 612378)
Since there appears to be effectively 0 demand for a 700 mile ev the OEMs will probably just put a smaller cheaper lighter battery in there and keep the range around 300 to 400 miles max.

Right - that is quite correct. I think the 700 mile versions would be less expensive than today's EVs.

NeilBlanchard 11-30-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaroldinCR (Post 612392)
The model 3 gets a supposed range of 300 miles with just over half as many cells as the model S and X, so even in the heavier cars, imagine the range using the 2170 new cells with reduced amounts of cobalt making the cells a bit cheaper to make and less per battery overall.

And Musk is talking million mile batteries since he bought Maxell with their super capacitor technology.

As an aside - we use MOST of the cobalt to remove sulfur during the refinement of fossil fuels.

redpoint5 11-30-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 612475)
Right - that is quite correct. I think the 700 mile versions would be less expensive than today's EVs.

Sure, but how far out are we talking?

It's going to take a very long time for battery tech to offset the $7,500 federal tax credit that will/is going away.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-30-2019 03:11 PM

Nowadays with so many hybrids out there, including the plug-ins, I'd not really hold my breath for an ultimate demise of the ICE, even though some kinda radical switch from reciprocating engines to microturbines might become relevant in a mid-to-long term due to the multifuel capability enabling them to resort to biofuels made out of organic waste which would otherwise become a pollutant if released untreated in the environment. Plus some weather conditions that lead to electric power shortages once in a while would still render the ICE desirable, not just in order to enable the vehicles to move but also eventually providing some backup power at home.

redpoint5 11-30-2019 03:18 PM

Well we haven't eliminated horses as "engines" so I would never expect ICE to disappear completely.

Maybe we'll see a new form of Amish that adopt ICE as their top level technology, but refuse to use fusion power or something. You think they progressively adjust up the technology level in response to recent developments?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-30-2019 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 612497)
Well we haven't eliminated horses as "engines" so I would never expect ICE to disappear completely.

At least in some places such as Rio Grande do Sul, there is a whole cultural significance of the horse that won't make it disappear so soon.

Quote:

Maybe we'll see a new form of Amish that adopt ICE as their top level technology, but refuse to use fusion power or something. You think they progressively adjust up the technology level in response to recent developments?
I'm not familiar with the Amish perspectives on life and technology, but it doesn't surprise me that some groups prefer to keep some low tech for the most diverse reasons.

redpoint5 11-30-2019 03:49 PM

Quote:

The are a religious group mostly located in the state of Pennsylvania who have arbitrarily set limits to the adoption of technology (for reasons unknown to me). They use horse and wagon, with no combustion engines. They allow a landline telephone and locate it in the outhouse (primitive outdoor bathroom).

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-30-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 612507)
The are a religious group mostly located in the state of Pennsylvania who have arbitrarily set limits to the adoption of technology (for reasons unknown to me). They use horse and wagon, with no combustion engines.

That was basically all I knew about the Amish.

Quote:

They allow a landline telephone and locate it in the outhouse (primitive outdoor bathroom).
Didn't know they were already allowing a landline telephone. When it comes to outhouses, they're not unheard of in my homeland Brazil, even though they've been quite uncommon nowadays.

freebeard 11-30-2019 05:03 PM

Double the Permalinks so far today and the thread is in the toilet, I love it. :thumbup:

My current favorite house design is a 20-230' dome with a connecting hallway to an octagon bathhouse, that includes the service entrance.

The Amish are closely related to the Mennonites, who are more plentiful around here. They aren't against technology, they just have a thorough vetting process. It's local so results vary. See the Black-bumper Amish.

It's the fastest growing religion.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=growth+of+amish+people
Quote:

How Long Until We're All Amish? - In a State of ... - Medium
https://medium.com/migration-issues/...sh-268e3d0de87
Feb 8, 2018Exponential growth is a powerful thing, but the Amish are starting from a very low base. But even so, Amish fertility offers some fascinating insights.

List of U.S. states by Amish population - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org<br /> /wiki...ish_population
List of U.S. states by Amish population. Then comes the Amish settlement in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The Amish population in the U.S. numbers more than 270,000 and is growing rapidly, due to large family size (seven children on average) and a church-member retention rate of approximately 80%.".

Why the Amish Population Is Exploding - CityLab
https://www.citylab.com/equity/2012/...n-bubble/2795/
Aug 1, 2012There are nearly 251,000 Amish people in America and Canada, according to Ohio State University researchers. That's more than double the estimated population in 1989 of about 100,000.

oil pan 4 11-30-2019 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 612480)
Sure, but how far out are we talking?

It's going to take a very long time for battery tech to offset the $7,500 federal tax credit that will/is going away.

Yeah let's see how they do with state and federal incentives removed, level playing field.

oil pan 4 11-30-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Based in what?
For all we know the only practical applications may be personal electronic devices.

All Darc 12-01-2019 07:40 AM

I have a solution. We need to forget crazy ideas and keep our feets on the ground.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5858aaaa5f.jpg

Ok, seriously speaking, while we wait for the super batteries, or in case it do not come as a reality in the next 10 years, maybe a solution would be manufacture lighweight electric cars with small batteries with range only for cities, and people would rent extra battery packs for longer distances.

All Darc 12-01-2019 07:47 AM

Some science about Flintstone's driving :

https://josephhalden.com/can-you-mov...intstone-does/

redpoint5 12-01-2019 07:48 AM

People aren't rational. A 100 mile range EV is fine for most anyone with access to home charging, but they want a vehicle that can make their annual Thanksgiving 500 mile trip, even though renting a car is pretty cheap (or borrow a friend's) and probably a good idea for racking up a lot of miles.

I suspect increasing plug-in hybrid sales in the interim. Makes perfect sense to have a battery big enough to complete daily needs, which means the ICE can be downsized since it doesn't need to be so powerful to accelerate up to speed.

The upcoming RAV4 Prime sounds like a pretty good compromise of EV range, power, utility, and efficiency that would appeal to US buyers.

All Darc 12-01-2019 08:31 AM

Family trips... A nightmare ...
Family dinners... another nightmare...

redpoint5 12-01-2019 08:39 AM

The problem is you don't like people.

I'm perfectly happy spending any amount of time with either my family or my wife's.

All Darc 12-01-2019 08:48 AM

About the conspiracy theory video this guy mentioned, about Braga/Goodenough technology being studded by Tesla... Well, I asked her about it and she told me:

"Vou as compras e não vou comprar um carro ;-)"

Translating, she said that was going shopping but was not going to buy a car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 611791)
Joe Scott reports on solid state batteries:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0nA8CfxBqA

Among many other things, solid state batteries could mean that your average EV might have a 700 mile range.

All Darc 12-01-2019 08:52 AM

I don't like horrible (bad manners, drunks, ignorant, fake) people.

Your wifes???
I didn't knew you were a mormon. :D

https://brasil.elpais.com/resizer/Gb...GMAAZSQU2Y.jpg

What uncle Jordan says about polygamy???
:eek:

Kidding... I knew you refered about the family of your wife... My grammar is not that bad at all.

Anyway, the girl in the picture, the one in the right lower corner, is the prettier one and the youngest one. I presume mormon women see a man with more wives as a greater man, and that's why the man get better looking wives in the later wives, let's say.

King James wanted to marry again and to be allowed he created his own Bible.
Someone wanted a lot of wives and created mormon religion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 612559)
The problem is you don't like people.

I'm perfectly happy spending any amount of time with either my family or my wife's.

oil pan 4 12-01-2019 05:52 PM

The problem with 2 women or more is one or both/all are usually mad about something.

All Darc 12-02-2019 08:01 AM

I wonder why any reckless crazy radical feminist didn't demanded yet polygamy for something like 1 women and 4 guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 612584)
The problem with 2 women or more is one or both/all are usually mad about something.

Why there aren't no Mormon terrorists :

http://www.cartoonistgroup.com/prope...defdf9f38a.jpg

Why there aren't suicidel american terrorists :

"Because there are no virgens to reward them."

All Darc 12-02-2019 08:43 AM

Urbee 2 :

https://newatlas.com/urbee-2-transco...-10-gal/29716/

freebeard 12-02-2019 11:46 AM

More ontopic than the mud house post in the cl*m*t* ch*ng* thread.

I see they persist with the rear wheel steering. It will be interesting to see if they can make that work. The chain drive is anachronistic.

Grant-53 12-02-2019 05:48 PM

See the November/December 2019 issue of Automotive Engineering from SAE. There are articles on driving a Jaguar I-Pace round trip from Pittsburgh to Detroit. There is an article on solid state battery development. We have a number of Amish and other sects in several states that practice a low tech life style as part of their religious beliefs. They are well regarded here for their construction skills. There is a variety of practices from group to group on what technology is acceptable. A race car builder in Pennsylvania produces high strength buggies to spec that are crash resistant. The buggy builder near me uses Timken roller bearings in the wheels. As one farmer replied, "You'd be surprised how well you can live if you don't buy a new 4 wd truck every year."

All Darc 12-02-2019 06:10 PM

They use technology if they get cancer...

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 612507)
The are a religious group mostly located in the state of Pennsylvania who have arbitrarily set limits to the adoption of technology (for reasons unknown to me). They use horse and wagon, with no combustion engines. They allow a landline telephone and locate it in the outhouse (primitive outdoor bathroom).

freebeard 12-03-2019 02:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNJdimyPWEU
Amish communities in 28 states will debate whether solid state batteries are something that will strengthen or weaken their communities, and then abide by the [local] decision.

edit:
abide for aide

Xist 12-04-2019 09:48 AM

Sorry to miss the brief plural wives discussion, but how many in-laws do you guys want?

MetroMPG 12-04-2019 09:56 AM

Sorry to miss the battery discussion in this polygamy thread?

redpoint5 12-04-2019 11:17 AM

I like my inlaws. It's the demands of the women that would be unmanageable.

All Darc 12-04-2019 06:16 PM

4x times more women=4x more chance to be killed.

redpoint5 12-04-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Darc (Post 612805)
4x times more women=4x more chance to be killed.

It's not the dying I'm afraid of, it's the living hell.

All Darc 12-04-2019 06:52 PM

Háa háa háaa...

Like some people said, there are things worse than dead.

Well, you can follow mother nature, and choose to fight with other men, risk your life, but if you won you could take their wives to yourself.

So you can choose between high risk of dead or a hell.

Or just watch football on TV and forgert the wife.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 612807)
It's not the dying I'm afraid of, it's the living hell.

ME_Andy 12-09-2019 08:50 AM

It's happening. UK EV sales were over 5% of total last month and they're supposed to really take off with some new subsidy next year. The Netherlands and Norway are like over 20% electric now, iirc

RedDevil 12-09-2019 10:10 AM

We're not at 20% yet, but the Model 3 is the top selling type this year and Tesla the 3rd brand - of all cars, not just EVs.
EV sales speed up now with an upcoming tax reform for 2020 but EV's are hot anyway; an ANWB (road assistance a.o.) survey found no less than 60% of their members were seriously considering an EV for their next car.