EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Some people will never understand EcoModders (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/some-people-will-never-understand-ecomodders-3775.html)

atomicradish 07-14-2008 04:16 AM

Some people will never understand EcoModders

I've been trying to actively recruit people to become EcoModders and to reduce their carbon footprint and dependence on foreign oil.

I have posted my results on other web forums, hoping that the tremendous savings I have gotten will influence others who were unaware of just how beneficial hypermiling can be.

Needless to say, some people just refuse. One person tried to argue that it is better to drive with the A/C at a slower speed than with the windows down. Another told me that by shifting at a low RPM I was going to destroy my engine. He claimed that 4 cylinder cars like mine required shifting at a higher RPM.

I hope everyone else is having better luck than I am having.

azraelswrd 07-14-2008 04:40 AM

Quote:

I have posted my results on other web forums, hoping that the tremendous savings I have gotten will influence others who were unaware of just how beneficial hypermiling can be.

Needless to say, some people just refuse. One person tried to argue that it is better to drive with the A/C at a slower speed than with the windows down. Another told me that by shifting at a low RPM I was going to destroy my engine. He claimed that 4 cylinder cars like mine required shifting at a higher RPM.

I hope everyone else is having better luck than I am having.
Yeah, I'm having better luck spreading the word with my modest improvements to show for it (33mpg -> 38mpg) but the people I talked to were desperate to save money on gas, didn't know much about cars and trusted me.

whokilledthejams 07-14-2008 07:13 AM

Some people will never understand, because most people are morons. It's that simple.

Interestingly, though, there's a substantial fraction of the Scionlife forum that I read that actually seems to take efficiency into consideration, which is pretty interesting. I've never seen an "enthusiast" forum where so many people boast and/or complain about their mileage.

cfg83 07-14-2008 11:49 AM

atomicradish -

I copied Chris D and have a "41+ Total MPG" sign in my rear window. In the last two weeks, two strangers have approached me. Since then, I put the Ecomodder tri-fold pamphlets in my car so I am ready.

I know of at least one friend that joined after talking to me.

On saturnfans.com, I wait for someone to post a thread that has something to do with MPG and I pipe up if I have experience with it.

I'm like a trap-door spider, I wait for people to come up to me and ask. Then, I POUNCE!!!!!!

CarloSW2

lucidexp 07-14-2008 12:19 PM

People will only change when they want to change. Right now we are seeing the first wave of resistance called denial (going fast is cool, SUV's are rad). They will come around though, once gas reaches $6 a gallon.

SVOboy 07-14-2008 12:43 PM

I don't think people are stupid, I just think people take the thing they learn first about cars and cling to that. Plus some people are bitter when they have to spend to much on gas and then you're doing so much better than them, :p

Keeping a happy face about it is what's important though, we won't be able to bully anyone into it.

dremd 07-14-2008 04:46 PM

Agreed on the waiting for someone to ask bit.

The only people I say anything to "out of the blue" are the ones who leave their trucks idling while they complain about the price of diesel. They ALWAYS deny that they are using more fuel (one guy told me break even for shut off was 1 hour).

homeworkhome53 07-14-2008 05:05 PM

The homemade fender skirts get attention. In the parking lot at work they point and ask, "What's that about". My response, I shrug and say, "It's about 50 miles per gallon". That gets there attention. One guy came in the control room and said, "I down shifted going up a hill and Stacy(gf) said "Guy wouldn't do that."" So he had to come find out why I wouldn't do that. I've dropped ecomodder on maybe 10 people in the last 2 weeks. Even an Auto Plus guy asked me twice how to spell ecomodder and wrote it down. People want to know about economy but just don't have a source. If you put a mod on your vehicle that standsout they will ask.

homeworkhome53

99metro 07-15-2008 09:39 AM

I have the same problem convincing people that hypermiling can get up to 50% or better fuel economy. "THEY" all believe that you get what you get, and that cruise control is THE way for best fuel economy.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink...

Silveredwings 07-15-2008 09:53 AM

There's an old saying about why addicts persist in self-destructive behavior:

"It doesn't hurt badly enough yet."

...until it does, they won't change.