EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Somebody volunteered to ecomod my car (Grrrr) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/somebody-volunteered-ecomod-my-car-grrrr-15415.html)

Clev 12-08-2010 11:03 PM

Somebody volunteered to ecomod my car (Grrrr)

Some kind samaritan decided to help me reduce sprung weight in the Clunker by liberating it of its radio, a laptop behind the seat, a smartphone in the glovebox and a couple of other miscellaneous items in the wee hours of the morning.

They pried out the window just enough to lift the lock with a coat hanger or other object, peeling off a bit of weatherstripping and reducing drag around the window. The removal of the radio and other equipment reduced both the weight and electrical consumption of the car as well.

I had over 100 pounds of expensive tools and equipment in the trunk which have since been relocated to the house (thank goodness I keep the trunk release locked out), so I look forward to the improved performance and economy.

I hope the scuzzbucket enjoys his new holiday gifts; someday he'll get his.

Frank Lee 12-08-2010 11:44 PM

As another who's suffered a car break-in, I can only hope that karma finds them and ruins whatever joy they might have had with our stuff. And then some.

SuzukiSteve 12-09-2010 11:44 AM

My Dad's fuel consumption has been reduced to zero on 3 occasions by nice ecomodders removing the cars from his possesion. Those pesky cops kept returning them to him though. But the ecomodders were still able to help out by keeping a catalytic converter, TV, VCR, etc.

mnmarcus 12-09-2010 12:14 PM

(From Pulp Fiction)

Vincent: Boy, I wish I could’ve caught him doing it. I’d have given anything to catch that ******* doing it. It’d been worth him doing it just so I could’ve caught him doing it.

I've been there too, I'm sorry for you.

Zerohour 12-09-2010 06:59 PM

Just an FYI that might be covered under your auto insurance and/or your home owner's/renter's insurance if you have the right coverage.

Might be worth while to ask, they usually issue money for depreciated value ($600 laptop ->$300 due to age, etc), but you may be able to recoup some of your loss.

And yes, hopefully Karma brings down the hammer hard for the ass who broke into your car.

nemo 12-09-2010 07:47 PM

Had some one break in to my car once. They didn't get what they were after but damaged the car. I was pissed. Another time I came out of a restaurant found someone with my car door open. He said he was just looking. Ragtop never locked it was afraid someone would cut the top to break in. Some real winners out there.

JasonG 12-09-2010 09:13 PM

Ive always blamed the people who buy the stuff more than the crooks.

At least you have the tools. Tell me the laptop was password protected, that way he only got a brick.

jamesqf 12-09-2010 09:59 PM

If you carry a laptop in the car, I'd get one of those cable locks for it. That's what I do for mine, even though if I have to leave it in the car, it's in the non-obvious underfloor storage in the hatch area.

Clev 12-10-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonG (Post 208819)

At least you have the tools. Tell me the laptop was password protected, that way he only got a brick.

Not sure why you should blame the victim. It's sad that we've accepted as a society that we should just put up with criminals like this.

It had a dead hard drive; I was taking it home to put a new drive in it, so no worries on the data. Both the laptop and cellphone were out of sight; they were a casualty of the jerk deciding that my $30 stereo was worth auto burglary.

Sheriff called this morning; they caught the guy with my phone. They've also found evidence that ties him to a few other burglaries in the area. Hopefully he gets put away for a long time.

Piwoslaw 12-10-2010 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clev (Post 208848)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonG (Post 208819)

Not sure why you should blame the victim. It's sad that we've accepted as a society that we should just put up with criminals like this.

I think what JasonG meant was the people who later buy stolen items.

A laptop with tons of passwords can still have its drive formatted and sold with a fresh OS. Or sold for parts.