EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Someone tell BMW that 28MPG for a car sucks (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/someone-tell-bmw-28mpg-car-sucks-4773.html)

dcb 08-26-2008 10:41 PM

Someone tell BMW that 28MPG for a car sucks

I hate some commercials. "test drive one of our fuel efficient vehicles today", rubbish.

bennelson 08-26-2008 11:18 PM

It's all a matter of perspective.

The more I drive and see how dependent we really are on oil, the more I realize that 30 mpg just isn't good enough.

But truth be told, there are lots of people who AREN'T getting 28 or 30 mpg. So, to them, it sure does sound efficient.

The marketing also shows how the manufacturers are starting to realize how important fuel economy is becoming. They may not actually improve it right away, but they will say it's important to them in the advertisements, no matter how truthful it is or not.

RH77 08-27-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 56356)
It's all a matter of perspective.

The more I drive and see how dependent we really are on oil, the more I realize that 30 mpg just isn't good enough.

But truth be told, there are lots of people who AREN'T getting 28 or 30 mpg. So, to them, it sure does sound efficient.

The marketing also shows how the manufacturers are starting to realize how important fuel economy is becoming. They may not actually improve it right away, but they will say it's important to them in the advertisements, no matter how truthful it is or not.

I had the same discontent -- until I realized that many viewers of the same TV ad were probably getting around 18 mpg in their trucks. The prospect of trading-in the $40,000 SUV for an exotic import that gleans 25+ mpg for the same price might sound like a good deal. Plus you can claim that you drive a "Beemer".

Look at the target market in this economy...

RH77

MechEngVT 08-27-2008 09:04 AM

Also consider that BMW doesn't produce vehicles known for "acceptable" performance, they are somewhat of an enthusiast's car. As such they are more powerful and more sporting than the standard vehicle of their class and that sportiness comes with a fuel efficiency price.

Can't be too hard on BMW...they've been putting standard instantaneous FE gauges in their cars for YEARS. I'm sure that helps owners improve their economy beyond EPA ratings. A former co-worker bought a 2005 325i new and under the old ratings it was 21/30. He took it on a FL vacation and said he got two tank averages of 30 mpg and drove 80mph the whole trip (the car was new to him at the time so he was attentive to satisfy his curiosity).

I don't get nearly 28mpg. I'm not in the market for a vehicle but may be soon, and maybe my standards aren't high enough but I'm wanting at least 30mpg highway (or reasonable expectation of it with minimal ecodriving techniques). There just aren't enough vehicles I care to drive (or can, at 6'3 and with a need for a rear-facing infant seat) that substantially exceed that number.

dcb 08-27-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechEngVT (Post 56440)
I don't get nearly 28mpg.

You don't drive a CAR

28mpg for a brand new CAR is not "fuel efficient". It may be luxury, it may be performance, but it aint fuel efficient which is what they were selling.

dann_04 08-27-2008 03:13 PM

While you're at it tell the dealerships that just because it has a four banger doesn't mean it's a "fuel sipper/miser". They have cars that get 22mpg advertised as fuel sippers! Aw well, just a pet peeve i though i would throw in while we were on the topic.

MazdaMatt 08-28-2008 09:29 AM

My post was simply stating through satyre that MPG is relative. To make a luxury sports sedan run 28mpg is VERY good mieage. People want a lot from their cars, some people want a smooth, quiet ride with quality brakes, a good stereo, leather seats and the ability to go fast when desired. To put all that into a 28mpg package is impressive.

Metro502 08-28-2008 12:51 PM

Is that the commercial where a BMW is driving through the european countryside? I hate that one too. I guess Europe copes with high gas prices by buying expensive Beemers. I love the people in the commerical though. Looking at that car like it's the first they've ever seen in their lives! Haha!

ankit 08-28-2008 06:09 PM

Yes, it seems like many companies are taking advantage of the "GREEN" mindset for profit. In this case it isn't too bad since 28 MPG highway is alright for such a quick car (that's higher EPA rating than my slow 4 banging family sedan). Some companies are actually doing something to clean up their act while others make it look like, by doing little or nothign, they are a truly green company. Atleast they are giving the subject a second glance.

jmilk 08-28-2008 10:07 PM

The thing you guys are forgetting here is that Europe and the US are two completely different markets. You can buy a BMW 5-Series in Germany with a four-cylinder engine or a TDI. And the Audi A8 can be had with a 2.8l V6 or a 3.0l TDI. The 2.8 is rated 28mpg for the European mileage cycle, which frankly is pretty darn good for a flagship luxury sedan. My '04 A8L quattro barely ever broke 20mpg.

dcb 08-28-2008 10:19 PM

No, 28mpg sucks as a "fuel efficient" selling point for a brand new 2008 car. It's 08, not 04, the marketers don't get to define "fuel efficient". Would you put some mink seat covers in a metro and call it luxury?!? "It's the most luxurious bla bla bla in its bla".

RH77 08-29-2008 01:39 AM

Let's keep this thread organized, please.

The following summary is noted:

28 MPG is not perceived as "good" in an overall sense by many at this Site.

Others will argue that it is for a premium luxury sedan with a focus on performance.

Other markets offer more efficient drivetrain combinations in the identical vehicle (particularly Europe)

The TV commercial may be considered "Greenwashing", and

Consider the target market and their expectations.

If any topic is missed, feel free to post -- otherwise, let's not let it get out of hand with the back-and-forth.

RH77

dcb 08-29-2008 08:20 AM

I am glad BMW is at least thinking about MPG as a feature people might care about. Some folks on the net view that as evidence that hell actually froze over, but the TV isn't a surgical implement that only affects it's target audience, it shotguns the message to everyone watching.

So it's just the hiway mileage figure too, really it is more like 21mpg that they are telling the world is "fuel efficient". I like BMWs as a car historically, but they cannot divorce themselves from their advertising. If they want to say the mileage has dramatically improved over the previous versions then fine, but that wouldn't be terribly accurate either AFAICT. MPG Lip service.

jmilk 08-29-2008 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 57047)
I am glad BMW is at least thinking about MPG as a feature people might care about. Some folks on the net view that as evidence that hell actually froze over, but the TV isn't a surgical implement that only affects it's target audience, it shotguns the message to everyone watching.

So it's just the hiway mileage figure too, really it is more like 21mpg that they are telling the world is "fuel efficient". I like BMWs as a car historically, but they cannot divorce themselves from their advertising. If they want to say the mileage has dramatically improved over the previous versions then fine, but that wouldn't be terribly accurate either AFAICT. MPG Lip service.

Ah, now here is something I can agree with, especially the last sentiment. Fact is, BMW's fuel economy has hardly changed over the last 20 years when you could buy (in Germany) a 318i that got 8l/100km, or 28ish mpg. Granted, you went from a 1.8l four-banger to a smooth 3l straight-six and have added hundreds of pounds of convenience and safety features... but really, there's nothing new. They tuned the ECU and tranny to score high on the EPA highway cycle knowing full-well that the target audience will never cruise 65mph when everyone else is passing.

Mind you, 20 years ago, I drove a Golf II (in Germany) which was rated 6.5l/100km or 36mpg -- and it wasn't a Diesel. It had only 45hp and a manual tranny, but I could afford to put gas in it. And I seem to remember that both BMW and VW had ECUs in place that would could gas *completely* when coasting, at least on the manual trannies. Years later I made a sport out of beating EPA's 33mpg on my bone-stock '96 Civic EX (manual), averaging 38mpg in hwy and suburban driving.

I'm with you dcb. I still think 28mpg for a very large luxury sedan is comparatively good, it's nowhere what it could be. And considering the history of BMW (and other German and Japanese car makers) who gave us the same mileage 20 years ago that we get now... we should be much further along.

I'm wondering if the car-makers are simply scrambling to save face right now. I imagine that some of the experienced folks on this board could take a stock 328 and make a few small mods to exceed the 35mpg requirement that's coming down the line. If the manufacturers made those small changes now, they'd sell a few more cars this year or next. But maybe they'd also draw the attention of law makers and instead of reaching the 35mpg goal, they'd then be required to meet a 40mpg goal? And maybe the jump from 25 to 35 mpg isn't nearly as expensive (or research-intensive) as the jump from 35-40.... just thinking out loud.

As far as this thread goes -- 28mpg is nothing to be proud of, unless you're marketing to people who are used to getting mid-teens on their "luxury" SUVs or boy-racer sedans.