EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Unicorn Corral (https://ecomodder.com/forum/unicorn-corral.html)
-   -   Sorry but its the hydrogen generator again. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/sorry-but-its-hydrogen-generator-again-23043.html)

Betuaintgotthis 08-23-2012 07:15 PM

Sorry but its the hydrogen generator again.

Hi all new to the forum and really sorry to put this as my first post. But the age old discussion of the Hydrogen generator.

I do have a different question though regarding this but just used in a different way to normaly debated one.

So the verdict always seems to be as follows, draw from battery is greater than the power produced resulting in poorer fuel economy (which i agree with). Some people say the hydrogen changes the burning characteristics and this improves the efficiency which i suppose is possible although any benefit will probably be lost on the extra load on the alternator.

So my questions are as follows......

1 - What if the hydrogen generator was independant of the alternator ie solar charging battery in boot and device switched on by relay from ignition or seperate switch. A slow draw of 5 amps should last 8-12 hours depending on the battery installed. This should eliminate the extra load put on the alternator. Charging of the battery would take a while by solar but unless your putting in higher mileage you should be able to keep this topped up after school runs etc. If nothing else would this help with cold starting and running of the first few miles untill warmed up?.

2 - same principle again, but forget about improving the fuel economy. If an independant hydrogen generator was fitted that was high amp's ie 100/200amps could this be used as some kind of crude nitro burst?. Battery wont last long but neither would a nitro bottle.

Would like to hear peoples opinions for the different spin on this greatly argued subject but after many hours/days/years lol of finding an answer to this age old subject not once have i heard an independant unit mentioned. The independant unit of course resulting in the extra load issue being non existant making alot of peoples argument void. :confused:

RiceCake 08-23-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betuaintgotthis (Post 323458)
1 - What if the hydrogen generator was independant of the alternator ie solar charging battery in boot and device switched on by relay from ignition or seperate switch.

The current required to get any measurable amount of hydrogen amounts to kilowatts of power. Sure you can generate hydrogen, but never enough while the car is driving to do anything useful, without having so many solar panels and so much water on board that the weight will ofset your economy benefits.

Quote:

2 - same principle again, but forget about improving the fuel economy. If an independant hydrogen generator was fitted that was high amp's ie 100/200amps could this be used as some kind of crude nitro burst?. Battery wont last long but neither would a nitro bottle.
Again, the weight of the system would largely offset any benefits. If you had a bottle of hydrogen onboard, pregenerated and stored, sure, injecting that into an engine I believe the effective octane rating for hydrogen is very high and it burns rather explosively. I wouldn't doubt you could tune for more power with it, much like propane, ethanol, and CNG vehicles can.

redpoint5 08-23-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

1 - What if the hydrogen generator was independant of the alternator ie solar charging battery in boot and device switched on by relay from ignition or seperate switch. A slow draw of 5 amps should last 8-12 hours depending on the battery installed...

The poster above gave you a good answer. You would be better off using that solar panel to delete your alternator.

Quote:

2 -If an independant hydrogen generator was fitted that was high amp's ie 100/200amps could this be used as some kind of crude nitro burst?. Battery wont last long but neither would a nitro bottle.
Nitrous-Oxide (Nitro) is an injection of oxygen, not fuel, so hydrogen injection would not be similar. That said, I think interesting things could happen with H2 injection. I'm no chemist, so I have no idea what interesting things that might be.

thomason2wheels 08-24-2012 12:08 AM

What would really be interesting to see would be hydrgen powered car, even from a tank of compressed hydrogen, with the engines characteristics optimized for the fuel. That would be cool.

ChazInMT 08-24-2012 12:21 AM

OK, this is 2 days in a row with the same tone regarding HHO in this forum by somebody posting for the "first" time.....what are the odds?. Give it a rest.

I'm pretty certain this is a linkback post designed to generate interest in some schmucks Google ranking. Let this thread die with this post. DO NOT RESPOND FURTHER!!!

Betuaintgotthis 08-24-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChazInMT (Post 323510)
OK, this is 2 days in a row with the same tone regarding HHO in this forum by somebody posting for the "first" time.....what are the odds?. Give it a rest.

I'm pretty certain this is a linkback post designed to generate interest in some schmucks Google ranking. Let this thread die with this post. DO NOT RESPOND FURTHER!!!

No I am not linking this to any other forums/discussions etc. However if this has just been discussed else where then please add the link to save us the time of having to read and write twice.

oil pan 4 08-24-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

. If an independant hydrogen generator was fitted that was high amp's ie 100/200amps could this be used as some kind of crude nitro burst?. Battery wont last long but neither would a nitro bottle.

Want to know how long it lasts?
A 100hp shot of nitrous oxide will use 4 pounds in about 12 seconds.
A 15lb bottle will barely get you 3 passes, and that last run will be pretty iffy.
A 1.5m tall hydrogen bottle charged to 2200psi only has about 5 pounds of hydrogen in it.
The typical hydrogen generator couldn't even prove a power boost to a weedeater. I bet 10 of them couldn't provide any noticeable power boost to a lawn mower or weedeater.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceCake (Post 323461)
having so many solar panels and so much water on board....

You should get a diesel, run a solar assisted alternator delete and run water injection.
Water injection on a diesel is good for about 4% to 6% and an alt delete is good for between 5% to 10%
Hydrogen generators are good for about 0%.

Hydrogen has only been able to give a proven 3% improvement and that was with the engine being bottle fed the hydrogen. Hydrogen form a gas cylinder is way more hydrogen then you could hope to get from even 50 hydrogen generators.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceCake (Post 323461)
I wouldn't doubt you could tune for more power with it, much like propane, ethanol, and CNG vehicles can.

I doubt it.
Hydrogen piston engines have always suffered low volumetric efficiency.
Ford built a hydrogen powered shuttle bus, no doubt with a lot of government money, they had to use a supercharged tridon V10 to make it drive like a regular diesel bus.
I wish I had that much money to waste.

oil pan 4 08-24-2012 08:07 AM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...hho-23018.html

mcrews 08-24-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betuaintgotthis (Post 323533)
No I am not linking this to any other forums/discussions etc. However if this has just been discussed else where then please add the link to save us the time of having to read and write twice.

OR

how about you pull your head out and use the search function .........

How come the stupid noobies don't know how to search????
First time on a forum??????

user removed 08-24-2012 09:56 AM

My question is how much hydrogen do you need to equal the energy equivalent of 1 gallon of gas?

When you can answer that question, you might understand the problem.

regards
Mech

JRMichler 08-24-2012 01:30 PM

And how many kilowatt hours to make that much hydrogen. Then horsepower-hours to generate those kilowatt hours. And last, how much gasoline to make those horsepower hours.

Betuaintgotthis 08-24-2012 04:41 PM

Thanks for those helpful comments,to those who are complaining of this being a HHO generator thread then a link if this has been discussed elsewhere would have been nice to provide link (oil pan 4's thread link was a interesting read and looking in to the tridon v10 bus). But honestly people if you really dont want to get involved then thats ok the clue was on the title and you didnt have to view this, nobody forced you so stop moaning.

mcrews 08-24-2012 04:50 PM

on the other hand, noobies need to learn to search and quit sitting on your xxx and being lazy.
Also 'we' have the right to stop short those who come here in a self-promoting/self-interest manner.

after being here awhile......"we're" able to see patterns in new threads.
We are a seroius and very viable forum. We didn't get that way by being passive.
When you step in the (unicorn) arena, you might get (unicorn) crap on your boots.

ChazInMT 08-24-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betuaintgotthis (Post 323634)
Thanks for those helpful comments,to those who are complaining of this being a HHO generator thread then a link if this has been discussed elsewhere would have been nice to provide link (oil pan 4's thread link was a interesting read and looking in to the tridon v10 bus). But honestly people if you really dont want to get involved then thats ok the clue was on the title and you didnt have to view this, nobody forced you so stop moaning.

BS, You show up here out of the blue, tag your thread 4 times, and have the same tone as someone who posted a day earlier under a different name.

Now I know that you have your own POS website somewhere promoting HHO. You come in here and link back to your POS HHO site so when someone searches for Hydrogen Generator (or whatever) in Google, your site is higher in the search results because you have an active thread here and that counts huge for Google. It's called "Website Optimization".

Beauty of it is, we can't see the link, all behind the scenes & such, so you can plead stoooopid and how can we prove otherwise?

BTW, I notice nobody really adds any tags to threads in Ecomodder, but somehow, the HHO threads always have them.

How did you tag this 4 times when an individual can only tag twice?

Must have used a few of your other "Names" to make that happen.

At least you've givin up talking to yourself in here, probably been caught doing that in the past and had your threads removed.

mcrews 08-24-2012 05:46 PM

Chaz, your killin me!!!!! lol

Betuaintgotthis 08-24-2012 06:32 PM

Hey self promoting am I well guess what i truly believe that hydrogen is not the way forward the amount of energy required to make it a commercial fuel is staggering learnt that back in little school i did. TBH a more viable source of fuel would be bio ethanol or bio diesel but they have their draw backs too. Im just asking if it was done this way would it benefit in any way.

one litre per minute of hho gas is something like 250watt hours so would that generate a fuel saving?. maybe cancel out the power used to power the lights on the car.......

Wow thats one hell of a saving. assuming my calculations were correct.

Well guys if anybody does want to pay for those hho generators then thats up to you i certainly wont be (maybe coz i have a big scamming company where I can get it for free). there are some really sh*t ones on ebay for $30 and go up to a couple of grand for something less s**t but still quite pointless.

Seriously people do not pay for one, if you want one then make one from scratch its easy.

Tagging lol so that makes me a scammer aswell does it, what whats wrong with some little dude giving a cheesy grin?. if it wasnt aloud then the forum wouldnt provide the option of doing it. I excercised the right to use my smiley so deal with it!!! four times though lol once as far as im aware.

I just dont understand why you guys cant actually give any useful information like yes in theory that would work and you might see expected gains of between 1-2% in your mpg or something like that. then some other guy pipes up saying the power needed to pull the unit weighing something like 20kg is X amount and so reduces economy by 1.5-3% still making the hho generator useless due to negative economy.

If hho worked it would be great we could all run our car on water and in emergencys im sure we could get away with the occasional p**s in the tank to get us home. ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN except in small pocket areas where they like to feel good about themselves regardless of the cost.

UFO 08-24-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Betuaintgotthis (Post 323666)
Hey self promoting am I well guess what i truly believe that hydrogen is not the way forward the amount of energy required to make it a commercial fuel is staggering learnt that back in little school i did. TBH a more viable source of fuel would be bio ethanol or bio diesel but they have their draw backs too. Im just asking if it was done this way would it benefit in any way.

I agree with the "way forward", but have abandoned any curiosity about free hydrogen. There is nothing more to be learned on the subject.
Quote:

one litre per minute of hho gas is something like 250watt hours so would that generate a fuel saving?. maybe cancel out the power used to power the lights on the car.......

Wow thats one hell of a saving. assuming my calculations were correct.

Yeah, 1 liter at about 1500psi is 250W. Good luck generating that much from a generator.
Quote:

I just dont understand why you guys cant actually give any useful information like yes in theory that would work and you might see expected gains of between 1-2% in your mpg or something like that. then some other guy pipes up saying the power needed to pull the unit weighing something like 20kg is X amount and so reduces economy by 1.5-3% still making the hho generator useless due to negative economy.

If hho worked it would be great we could all run our car on water and in emergencys im sure we could get away with the occasional p**s in the tank to get us home. ITS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN except in small pocket areas where they like to feel good about themselves regardless of the cost.

Not too hard to work out the numbers yourself. It simply makes NO sense.

Betuaintgotthis 08-24-2012 07:08 PM

ok my mistake thanks for pointing that out i didnt realise that it was 250watts from compressed gas. That completly changes things lol um no chance of even a finely tuned bubbler producing that. unless of course its powered by the negative energy from some of the other forum users.

Maybe cold fusion is the way forward?......

Lets save that for another time though.......

Seriously though thank you for a sensible answer :)

Betuaintgotthis 08-24-2012 07:12 PM

FYI for those negative people, hydrogen generators are not completly useless. I made one a few years ago and used it to fill a chamber with gas that I plugged with a potato. Of course i used to ignite the gas and send the potato on its merry way. I found that highly amusing when i was a teenager, probably still would lol.

oil pan 4 08-25-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 323550)
My question is how much hydrogen do you need to equal the energy equivalent of 1 gallon of gas?

When you can answer that question, you might understand the problem.

regards
Mech

2 Kilo grams

You might be wondering how much electrical power it takes to make 1Kg of hydrogen from water, I believe its at least 25kwh.

NeilBlanchard 08-25-2012 10:24 AM

I think it takes 3-3.5X as much electricity to make hydrogen equivalent to just using the electricity to power an EV directly. By that measure, a kilogram of hydrogen is about equivalent to 100kWh of electricity.

I wish I owned a practical hydrogen powered car -- I could park it next to my unicorn!

mcrews 08-25-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 323782)
I wish I owned a practical hydrogen powered car -- I could park it next to my unicorn!

I am SOOOOOO jealous.......you own a unicorn!!!!!!!

Post pics!!!!

gone-ot 08-25-2012 05:00 PM

• a UNI-corn:

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/im...of_7wJrvJGdvTw

MULTI-corn:

https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/im...F5DULXAT3_PaWW

oil pan 4 08-25-2012 06:57 PM

Water electrolysis is horribly inefficient.
Driving an electric vehicle 30 miles should use about $15 worth of power unless you live in a really screwed up state that over charges for electrical power for no reason, like california.
To go 30 miles on water split hydrogen it would be more like $40 or $50 worth of power.

Mustang Dave 08-31-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 323855)
Driving an electric vehicle 30 miles should use about $15 worth of power unless you live in a really screwed up state that over charges for electrical power for no reason, like california.

I'm glad I live in Arizona. I can drive my 4 liter V-6 Mustang 30 miles on less than $5 worth of gasoline (at this point in history, anyway). I must be doing something really wrong....

oil pan 4 08-31-2012 10:59 PM

Opps that should have been $1.50 worth of power.
Still takes many dollars worth of electrical power to split 2KG of hydrogen, up to $50 for 30 miles worth of hydrogen still stands.

Altho if you factor the cost of a new electric vehicle that you dont drive much in it could be far higher than $15 a mile.

chickmagnt311 12-20-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thomason2wheels (Post 323507)
What would really be interesting to see would be hydrgen powered car, even from a tank of compressed hydrogen, with the engines characteristics optimized for the fuel. That would be cool.

BMW did such in 2007

BMW Hydrogen 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They gave one to the company that I was working for at the time (which was about 1 mile from their HQ in Germany) According to Wikipedia, it got a whopping 4.7mpg on H2-on a 6.0L V12

euromodder 12-20-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickmagnt311 (Post 346299)
BMW did such in 2007

BMW Hydrogen 7 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They gave one to the company that I was working for at the time (which was about 1 mile from their HQ in Germany) According to Wikipedia, it got a whopping 4.7mpg on H2-on a 6.0L V12

Weight was seriously increased due to the H2 tank, which also reduced the trunk quite a bit.
The tank wouldn't even fit a smaller-sized vehicle without taking up all of the boot space ...

H2 in compressed, cooled state has never been a serious contender for use as a car fuel, nor will it ever be.

MPaulHolmes 06-08-2013 01:57 AM

I was thinking about using my 5.6kW DC array for generating some hydrogen. I have no idea how to safely compress and store it, and how to use it for fuel. I have 2 large graphite rods, but I'm not sure of a good way to attach the copper wire to the rods. At the very least, I could catch it and maybe send up some balloons.

user removed 06-08-2013 10:01 AM

Mr. Holmes wins the prize for hydrogen transportation effieiency. Blow up enough balloons to get you airborne, AND RIDE THE WIND TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PLANET.

Great mileage on your solar powered balloon car. :D:D:D:D:D

regards
Mech

MPaulHolmes 06-08-2013 10:53 AM

LOL. Actually, I used to make baloons out of NaOH and aluminum cans, and I really do want to make a balloon that I could fly in. My wife wouldn't be very happy about it I think, and we have a lot of static discharge down here in Arizona, so it would probably (P(x) > 0.50) mean my death, but if I didn't have kids/wife I'd definitely try it.

gone-ot 06-08-2013 02:47 PM

Re: your footnote:

News item: "Human Body Contains 2.5 lbs of Bacteria". SWEET. EVERYBODY GETS TO DEDUCT 2.5 POUNDS. Bacteria is alive. That's not our weight, that's theirs. WOOT.

...but for elected poly-tickers isn't number more like 7-8 lbs? You've obviously not included the volume/content of their cranial cavities (wink,wink)!

MPaulHolmes 06-08-2013 09:22 PM

LOLOLOL. Hey! You are in Tucson? I'm in Maricopa. Hotter than the fires of heck and darn-nation today. This is our first year here. Each day is a new highest ever temperature I've ever experienced in my life. My eyelids were actually on fire in the shade outside today while I was spraying the poor chickens. They just stood there and didn't mind a bit, then hogged down the left overs of a watermelon.

gone-ot 06-08-2013 11:01 PM

Yep, Tucson, AZ, now, but it before that it was Yuma, AZ!

Weather in Arid-zona isn't stated in degrees, but rather descrubed like steaks:

raw (cold) ~ 60-70°F
rare (nice & cool) ~ 70-80°F
medium (normal...for a desert) ~ 80-90°F
well done (burnt on the outside, pink inside) ~ 90-100°F
very well done (all burnt, no pink) >105°F