EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Sorry Volt, little brother Spark EV outsold ya (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/sorry-volt-little-brother-spark-ev-outsold-ya-31880.html)

botsapper 05-04-2015 06:55 PM

Sorry Volt, little brother Spark EV outsold ya

The four-passenger, five-door hatchback, and an all-electric Chevrolet Spark EV available only in two states; California & Oregon, outsold the fifty-state available Volt. The lowered retail prices, $25,995 or a $0 down/39 months for $139 monthly lease certainly made the 82 mile/single charge commuter car very attractive. How two-state Chevy Spark EV outsold 50-state Volt last month

Piotrsko 05-04-2015 07:05 PM

Cool

New source for wrecked LI-PO packs pretty soon. Hope they are cheap.

oil pan 4 05-05-2015 12:12 AM

But how can that be, they made the volt too big to fail.

jakobnev 05-05-2015 06:02 AM

Same as the Titanic.

cowmeat 05-05-2015 07:25 AM

It's hard to get excited about a car they only sell in two states.

80 mile range would be perfect for my commute, but I'll probably never get the chance to buy one, so pffffffffttttttt.

NeilBlanchard 05-05-2015 08:30 AM

I think the Spark EV is now also sold in Maryland. They should sell it in all 50 states, for sure!

I'll bet it is a blast to drive!

thingstodo 05-05-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmeat (Post 478043)
It's hard to get excited about a car they only sell in two states.

80 mile range would be perfect for my commute, but I'll probably never get the chance to buy one, so pffffffffttttttt.

The lease price is attractive, so I would expect a bunch of lease returns in 2018 ... there is no rebate on used cars so they should sell the lease returns to anyone.

3 years is not so long ...

oil pan 4 05-05-2015 12:54 PM

Im thinking you can special order it anywhere.
I don't see why its only being stocked on the dealers lots in 2 states.
I bet they might sell even more of them if people could test drive them somewhere other than the west coast.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thingstodo (Post 478061)
The lease price is attractive, so I would expect a bunch of lease returns in 2018 ... there is no rebate on used cars so they should sell the lease returns to anyone.

3 years is not so long ...

Or crush them all because we all know GM can be stupid like that.

botsapper 05-05-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowmeat (Post 478043)

Some may have a longer daily commute, maybe 175-200 miles...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPLm4zP2vk8

California98Civic 05-05-2015 01:00 PM

I don't think the markets for the two cars are really all that comoarable. The owners of Volts I know, and I know a few, would not have purchased an all-electric car because of range issues. I would imagine many of the Spark EV buyers will not buy a Volt because it still has an ICE. Does the Volt still qualify for an HOV sticker in Cali? That's a big driver of EV sales here. I am suddenly seeing the BMW EV everywhere here. The EVs get the HOV OK stickers.

MetroMPG 05-05-2015 01:08 PM

Quote:

I bet they might sell even more of them if people could test drive them somewhere other than the west coast.
The Spark is a "compliance EV". They don't really want to sell 'em everywhere; they're just satisfying CARB EV requirements.

I bet that lease rate is like getting a "free" car for many people, depending on what kind of fuel consumption it offsets. There was a similar deal on the Fiat 500 EV a couple of months ago.

Volt sales are being hammered because the 2nd gen. Volt is just around the corner, with more electric range, features, room, ICE efficiency, and a lower MSRP than the gen. 1 model. Who would buy the current one, knowing all that? I bet very steep discounts on the remaining 2015's are coming soon!

redpoint5 05-05-2015 04:59 PM

Despite my extreme dislike of the exterior styling, this might be what I'm driving in 3 years when they come off lease. I wish an automaker besides Tesla would purpose-build a car to be an EV.

EDIT- I forgot about the Leaf, but that car was designed to look stupid instead of efficiently glide through the air.

MobilOne 05-05-2015 05:30 PM

I think that more likely the Leaf was designed to be as affordable an EV as Nissan could mfg and to do this they just adapted bodies already in production. Just a guess.

cowmeat 05-05-2015 05:39 PM

Quote:

There was a similar deal on the Fiat 500 EV a couple of months ago.
I couldn't find any dealers in my area that had this one, either. And I've given up on Elio as yet another pipe dream that'll never come to anything.

So for now I'm stuck in my gas hog Insight . . . . guess things could be worse :D

California98Civic 05-05-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobilOne (Post 478132)
I think that more likely the Leaf was designed to be as affordable an EV as Nissan could mfg and to do this they just adapted bodies already in production. Just a guess.

Yeah... I've often thought the Leaf looks a lot like the Versa hatch.

http://best-carz.com/data_images/gal...an-leaf-03.jpg

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/d/6...hback-side.JPG

James

redpoint5 05-06-2015 07:08 PM

From Green Car Reports:

Quote:

The 2015 Chevy Spark EV is the second most energy-efficient (four-wheeled) vehicle sold in the U.S. of any kind, after the BMW i3 battery-electric hatchback.

The Spark EV is rated at 119 MPGe, while the i3 comes in at 124 MPGe...

...the Spark EV is expected to continue in the current-generation model for another year or so.

It will ultimately be replaced in the Chevy lineup by a production versions of the Chevrolet Bolt Concept shown in January, which will deliver 200 miles of range at a price of $37,500, according to GM CEO Marry Barra.
I've been looking to purchase an EV and thought the Leaf was the only affordable option, so I did a little more research on the Spark EV. Apparently it's the 2nd most efficient EV in production. I'd like to spend $15k or less on a used car from a private party. Looks like I'll have a few more years in my excellent TSX.