EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Events & Meet-ups (https://ecomodder.com/forum/events-meet-ups.html)
-   -   South East / Mid Michigan Meet Up (4-27-2013) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/south-east-mid-michigan-meet-up-4-27-a-24009.html)

WesternStarSCR 11-16-2012 01:01 PM

South East / Mid Michigan Meet Up (4-27-2013)

Alright, new guy here is throwing down the gauntlet:

Frankenmuth, Michigan (aka Little Bavaria)

Great little tourist trap town, and a way to bring the family, friends, so eveyone can shop,eat, swap ideas, check out other modders cars, and have a beer or two (or pop, whatever)... or some Zhenders chicken.

Of course, Christmas shopping at Bronners for those so inclined. Birch Run outlet mall is nearby as well.

I am thinking Saturday, April 27, 2013.

Halfway between Easter and Mothers day, and a few days after Earth day...

Zero Details other than that. Hopefully that works for some folks.

Weather Spotter 11-16-2012 03:39 PM

I put it in my calendar :)

If you want I could scope out a mpg race course ... See who gets the best mph over 15-20 miles?

WesternStarSCR 11-16-2012 04:13 PM

Cool. It's up to you, lots of time before then. I was thinking it would be cool just to try and gather up as many as who can make it to swap stories, ideas and ribbing. Anything else is icing. Never did anything like it, so all ideas are cool by me. I got car nut relatives I am going to invite too, just to give and get non ecomodders their too.

Weather Spotter 11-16-2012 04:38 PM

Sure invite one and all. I have been to one other em meet up and it was a blast !

Sven7 11-17-2012 01:19 PM

Hmm...

myrefugeisintheLord 12-18-2012 10:39 PM

This might be the perfect excuse to head out that direction and visit a friend. :p I'll have to see if I can make this trip a reality. :thumbup:

Weather Spotter 12-19-2012 07:41 AM

Maybe you can draft sven7 from Minnesota to Michigan :)

myrefugeisintheLord 12-20-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weather Spotter (Post 346145)
Maybe you can draft sven7 from Minnesota to Michigan :)

Lol, he doesn't offer much to draft off of. And the CRX's back end might be squarish, but it's small too!

I'd probably head over a couple of days early anyway. ;) (IF I CAN GO.)

GRU 12-20-2012 11:45 AM

Sounds good...i can join you guys

WesternStarSCR 12-20-2012 12:06 PM

Some planning to do...

I will take a look at the general areas in / near Frankenmuth over the Christmas break (Google, not actually go there this time of year!).

Some parking is more on outskirts, but there are some areas I can think of. There is an outdoor mall, the brewery, over at Bronner's, even the Michigan Aviation museum.

I don't want to have to get special civic approval, except maybe touching base with some business owners at the meet up area ahead of time to get their buy in, in exchange for business and advertising if needed?

My very general thoughts were to have a location to park that may get some positive local attention, since it literally a few days after earth day. There is a TON of foot traffic in good weather, lots of shops and restaraunts down the main drag.

If nothing more, Earth Day still gets people at least THINKING about doing something good for the environment (and wallet).

So this would be an example to show people on how to actually DOING, not just SAYING?

Priorities: Have Fun, Meet New People.

Then all the rest has the same importance: Spend Time swapping ideas, test rides, general car nut stuff, getting locals (tourists) to ask questions or at least see the mild to the extreme ecomodding, showing off the basic tools of the trade (grill block, scan gauge, taking weight out of car trunks, PSI, driving styles etc). Did I mention have fun and meet new people?

I have never done this before, so if anyone has suggestions and thoughts on making the most of it, please PM me or post here!

Thanks for your interest!!!

Weather Spotter 12-20-2012 03:00 PM

I am in :)

BrandonMods 02-15-2013 07:27 PM

You can count me in on this!! :D

bschloop 02-18-2013 12:49 AM

I'll try to make it. if the weather cooperates, I could bring out the motorcycle to test my streamlining.

myrefugeisintheLord 02-23-2013 11:37 PM

Nope, don't expect me to be there. :( I'll either have to get married, or convince one of my family members to go along (not possible at this point), before I'd have my parent's blessing to drive that far away.

I'm glad HHOTDI and I are starting up a monthly meet over here! ;) Lol, it's in a week, and so far only HHOTDI and I are planning on being there! :p

2000neon 02-24-2013 11:00 AM

I'm about 4 hours out, I won't make any promises, but that's right after I finish my university exams, so I may treat myself with a little one day getaway.

Sven7 02-26-2013 09:46 PM

Sure, I'll go. Representing the "mild" category for once...

myrefugeisintheLord 03-30-2013 07:51 PM

I'm surprised there isn't more people interested in going!
Come on folks! JUST DO IT! :D You'll be glad you went! ;)

WesternStarSCR 04-01-2013 10:07 AM

Still going too...

I have not been very active on the forums the last few months, and no pizza pan covers on my wheels yet, but was still wanting to meet up with anyone interested...

Any thoughts on what type of venue? There is a open mall type place, of course the brewery, I think a park or 2... restaurants, and even areas more on the outskirts of town...

feel free to chime in... i have no specific plans yet.

feel free to PM me as well, let me know your coming so I can get a feel on how many people , and or ideas...

Thanks,
Sean

Weather Spotter 04-01-2013 05:34 PM

not sure on where, but I still plan on coming to the meet. I would think some out of the way restaurant (they tend to be pricy in that area) might be nice to hang out after we chat about cars. do we want to set up a costing race?

Topdawg_135 04-02-2013 07:13 AM

I'm not very active on the forums but I am in the area and would love to make it.

benphyr 04-05-2013 09:09 PM

Subscribed. Thanks for organizing the meet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by myrefugeisintheLord (Post 357988)
Nope, don't expect me to be there. :( I'll either have to get married, or convince one of my family members to go along (not possible at this point), before I'd have my parent's blessing to drive that far away.

@ MyrefugeisintheLord (everyone else:snail: enjoy listening in):
Similar but different: I'd either have to get un-married :eek:, or convince all of my family members (wife and small children) to go or let me go alone. We'll see.

By-the-way, I'm guessing that getting married in the next 3 weeks is not likely going to get your parents' blessing either, just a friendly suggestion:D

myrefugeisintheLord 04-06-2013 12:53 AM

Lol... :rolleyes: There will be another time... someday. I just have to be patient. :thumbup:

It doesn't hurt to ask your wife. ;) And if you make the trip into a mini vacation..... you might be able to add a stop in Frankenmuth, Michigan to the to do list. :D Just a thought.

Weather Spotter 04-06-2013 10:27 AM

but that stop in Frankenmuth will kill the budget.

myrefugeisintheLord 04-06-2013 10:36 AM

Looking doesn't kill the budget. ;) And food wise, if the budget it tight, then bringing food can solve that one. :thumbup:
But I'm low maintenance, so that sort of thing is just as good, if not better, then eating out or buying odds and ends. It's the experience and fellowship shared that matters to me!

WesternStarSCR 04-11-2013 10:47 AM

I will not be able to make the meet up

I committed to helping my friend coach a t-ball team, and he is out of town that weekend when we have practice, and he asked if I can run the practice that Saturday the 27th.

I was going to suggest however that the area near the Birch Run outlet malls has some restaurants that would definitely be less expensive than Frankenmeuth itself.

And there would be more places to park and hang out in those parking lots than in Frankenmeuth itself.

Later - Sean

mjspiess 04-12-2013 05:37 PM

I live in Lansing & my wife & I have been wanting to go to Frankenmuth since we've moved to Lansing a couple years ago. I'll see what I can do.

Scamper 04-20-2013 04:40 PM

I'm planning on coming, but where are we meeting at?

WesternStarSCR 04-22-2013 08:22 AM

I am no longer able to go, but WeatherSpotter and some others may still be meeting. I know cost of food in downtown, and finding a parking area was a concern, so I thought perhaps the Birch Run mall area might be a good compromise. Less expensive restaurant choices, and a place to park.

mjspiess 04-22-2013 09:56 AM

I'm out too. Staying in Lansing on Saturday & then heading out of town on Sunday.

Weather Spotter 04-25-2013 07:13 PM

I have to help my brother fix a leaking well line this weekend so a meet is unlikely to work. Feel free to pm me and see if we can still work something out. I will be in the Yale/ port Huron area on Saturday and might be able to do an late afternoon or evening meet up.

Sven7 04-25-2013 08:49 PM

:/

myrefugeisintheLord 04-26-2013 03:50 PM

:( Oh, you guys..... This is SOOO sad!

You guys should set another date and try again. :D

Sven7 04-28-2013 01:34 AM

How about we have an MPG contest up to Sault Ste Marie the weekend of 22 June. I'll be up there for the Magnum Opus Pro Rally anyway, probably pushing the MPG down to about 30 on those gravel backroads! :D

Free or nearly free camping I think, and of course the entire Saturday of rally spectating or mashalling is completely free. Pack some food and head out!

Weather Spotter 04-29-2013 05:54 PM

that might work, I will not know till closer to the date, I should be closing on a fixer up house in a few weeks and that might eat up my time.

but we could try to meet at my new house :) lots of room for camping.

benphyr 05-17-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weather Spotter (Post 368754)
... lots of room for camping.

Inside the new fixer-upper or outside? :D

I'll be passing through one of these weekends for a wedding. You'll know when you see a pavement coloured 2005 Civic (oh wait, half of them are) going the speed limit or less :turtle: with either lower grill block or duct tape "shadow" from the previous one that is currently removed!

Weather Spotter 05-17-2013 06:03 AM

Yard is for camping, spare bedroom is for those who do not want to rough it :)

Sven7 08-09-2013 03:01 PM

Bump... sup guys

Edit- 1,999th post!