EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   SPENT?...Sapped Prius (Plug-In) Emptied Non-Transport? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/spent-sapped-prius-plug-emptied-non-transport-25316.html)

botsapper 03-21-2013 02:37 PM

SPENT?...Sapped Prius (Plug-In) Emptied Non-Transport?

...call your friendly AAA mobile charging truck. They'll give you a 'jump' or a 15 minute level-3 charge for a limp-home travel range to the nearest charging station. Haven't seen our California trucks working on the side of the freeway, yet.
Out of juice? AAA debuts Washington roadside charging service for electric cars - GeekWire

darcane 03-21-2013 02:51 PM

That was on a bunch of the local news stations last night. I haven't seen it driving around yet.

Ryland 03-21-2013 03:00 PM

Wait, all those times I've seen a car sitting on the side of the road it wasn't an electric car???

razor02097 03-21-2013 03:09 PM

Well... I have seen a total of 1 MiEV, 0 Leafs and 2 volts driving on the road... Point is I've seen thousands of vehicles on the road there just aren't that many EVs out there yet. I'm sure there are enough EVs that run out of range or AAA wouldn't have bothered.

I'm sure once the population of EVs increase AAA will likely roll out more of those type of trucks. Demand for it has to be there though.

darcane 03-21-2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razor02097 (Post 362579)
Well... I have seen a total of 1 MiEV, 0 Leafs and 2 volts driving on the road... Point is I've seen thousands of vehicles on the road there just aren't that many EVs out there yet. I'm sure there are enough EVs that run out of range or AAA wouldn't have bothered.

I'm sure once the population of EVs increase AAA will likely roll out more of those type of trucks. Demand for it has to be there though.

Which is probably why they launched the recharge truck here.

I see half a dozen Leafs every day, maybe a few more Volts (though you'd think they would be fine), often a MiEV or a Tesla or two, and the occasional Fisker that hasn't yet burnt up. And I rarely actually go to Seattle or Bellevue/Redmond where EVs are more common.

Cobb 03-22-2013 05:46 PM

Id think it would be cheaper to just tow the car home vs coming, waiting and being responsible for anything hitting the vehicle on side of road or screwing up the electrcal system.

RedDevil 03-22-2013 07:25 PM

Over here the occasional Leaf, no Mievs, a bunch of Volts and a greater bunch of Amperas all dwarved by the number of P-IPs.

My company has an EV charging spot; at least it says so on a paper hanging over an annoyingly empty spot in our overcrowded parking lot. We expect and accept free spots for the disabled, but not being able to park my hybrid because of this EV spot itches.
No visible equipment in the EV charging spot makes me wonder whether this is a prank or not.
Well I can do pranks too; like draw a wheelchair on that paper for added sympathy, or post an "ICE resting spot" paper on the spot right next to it. :)

Cobb 03-22-2013 10:39 PM

I have 2 plugs hanging out my hood, 1 for the block heater the other to charge up the enginer kit.

Well, a few years ago this Chevy with a block heater and Alaska plates use to park next to me in the evenings. Guessing the plug got his attention.

oil pan 4 03-22-2013 11:31 PM

Sounds like oil pan 4's tow and charge service.

jamesqf 03-22-2013 11:52 PM

So would someone please try to explain the rationale for calling a truck to charge a plug-in Prius by the roadside?