Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Some Subaru fuel mileage ?s

Hi, I'm a new member here. I drive '02 Subaru Impreza WRX manual trans. Vehicle mods are K&N high flow intake, 3" turbo-back exhaust, COBB AccessPort, and some lighter than stock wheels. Performance is obviously important, I love the feel of acceleration. I am most definitely not a hypermiler by an means and will probably never do any vehicle mods that increase mileage at the expense of power or aesthetics.

On a recent trip to Wisconsin I averaged probably 70 mph on the highways while on cruise control with occasional 4th gear full throttle acceleration to get around really slow pokes. I averaged about 29 mpg over most of the trip. Certainly not as good as it could be, but I wasn't really trying, and most WRXs get about 25 mpg.

So, i want to know if there is a small computer display or something that could show instantaneous and averaged fuel economy that i could buy, so I could help get better mileage when I'm not driving like I stole it? I would prefer it plugged into the OBD2 port since it's easily accessible on my car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Mate, I would suggest ScanGauge2 (Scangauge2.com) It is a trip computer and code reader and you can have all sorts of guages displaying info from the ECU loke Air temp Revs etc.

Be careful to check if it is going to work on your MY02 as I have an MY04 and the SG2 does not seem to connect on that model. I have an RX not a WRX and I know the WRX and STi are OK from MY04. Strange issue with the OBDII type Protocol and ECU codes for 2004.

Joffa

Australia
Old 09-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
I do believe the AP has an 'economy' or 'road trip' ECU profile, or something to that effect that backs off the timing and boost.

The Scangauge, however, will likely do you wonders, and plenty of people will chime in and tell you as much. No, I do not have one (yet).

The best things you can do for your efficiency, however, are to air up your tires to the sidewall max, and drive sensibly. The biggest gains come from adjusting the nut behind the wheel, of course.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffa View Post
Hi Mate, I would suggest ScanGauge2 (Scangauge2.com) It is a trip computer and code reader and you can have all sorts of guages displaying info from the ECU loke Air temp Revs etc.

Be careful to check if it is going to work on your MY02 as I have an MY04 and the SG2 does not seem to connect on that model. I have an RX not a WRX and I know the WRX and STi are OK from MY04. Strange issue with the OBDII type Protocol and ECU codes for 2004.

Joffa

Australia
Thanks man. That thing is way better than anything i was hoping for.

It even turns off CELs. Mine's been on for a while since my exhaust doesn't have a catalytic converter anymore.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scooby - '04 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
90 day: 24.43 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post

On a recent trip to Wisconsin I averaged probably 70 mph on the highways while on cruise control with occasional 4th gear full throttle acceleration to get around really slow pokes. I averaged about 29 mpg over most of the trip. Certainly not as good as it could be, but I wasn't really trying, and most WRXs get about 25 mpg.
geez, how did you squeeze 29mpg? the most i have ever seen in MY04 is 26 and that was actually during the week doing my 80% city and 20% highway driving. on all my long trips, the most i ever got was ~24; however, i always have luggage and at least 2 passengers with me..
Old 09-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, like I said, it was about 97% highway miles. I don't weigh much and I had one passenger.

I think the AccessPort really helps with mileage, even when using one of the performance maps; I haven't tried the fuel economy map yet.

I also try to avoid ethanol gas like the plague
Old 09-14-2008, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
Hi, I drive subes, never the ej engine version.

A fuel injected loyale with simple mods 38mpg everywhere, hiway/city ...
A carbed sube is like a beetle, it could be doing anything. My own has gone from low twentys and 128 mph to high 40s and 50s sluggin on hills in the 70s.(all the same engine and carb, its kinda fun ...)

The injected discipline for the wrx is embarrassing...good luck for a goal of mid 20s mpg, and I am quite serious.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black - '02 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon
90 day: 31.09 mpg (US)

Cavalier - '00 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe
90 day: 32.58 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgd73 View Post

The injected discipline for the wrx is embarrassing...good luck for a goal of mid 20s mpg, and I am quite serious.
Uh ... take a look at my fuel log. I believe the highest I've gotten is about 36mpg. 2002 wrx wagon.
I think that carbs vs injectors is a dead argument, they can both be tuned or replaced to maximize fuel efficiency, and the more modern subarus can add a cobb access port and use fuel efficiency maps on the fly without having to even pop the hood.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetors View Post
I am most definitely not a hypermiler by an means
Looks like your numbers say otherwise. Welcome to the group.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
I echo Clev's remark -- great work and welcome!

With a car that rewarding to drive (in all road conditions), that mileage is great.

I look forward to hearing more...

RH77

_
_
Reply  Post New Thread