EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Spreading the word about hypermiling (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/spreading-word-about-hypermiling-3782.html)

rjacob 07-14-2008 01:38 PM

Spreading the word about hypermiling

I meet up with a buddy of mine once a week for lunch. We usually do errands such as go to the post office, or hit the hardware store. TOday, neither one of us had anything we needed to do. I told him to meet me at my work. He showed up, and I took him for a ride in my car (a 2000 Honda Civic VP auto). I demonstrated hypermiling, and showed him the ScanGauge II. He was really watching the bugger. We drove out about 9 miles to a Subway for lunch. My Scangauge showed my FE about 46.5 MPG for the trip (I think about the best trip I have done). He said yeah, but it was a pretty straight forward drive. So I took back roads back to my work (about 18 miles). This time I averaged about 49.5 MPG!!! I know that was best I have done for a trip. And with a passenger in my car!! I think he was impressed.

mush3gan 07-14-2008 05:34 PM

it's always great to have a passenger or two (that are easily convinced or nice enough to care) and show them the power of hypermiling. for me it's best when i'm with close friends or people that i've known for a while... haha sometimes i get pressured when i'm in a full car carrying poeple from work that i don't know so well, then i just keep the slow-ish speeds and time the lights.. but not so much the other stuff :)

greenitup 07-14-2008 08:44 PM

i only do the different stuff alone, when with others i just go slow and pull slow starts and stop light timing.

Johnny Mullet 07-14-2008 09:45 PM

Everyone who rides in my car asks what the the funny looking gauge is on my dash. I tell them it's a vacuum gauge and it helps me maintain a constant throttle and also warns me of engine issues. This usually ends up in a fuel efficiency discussion.

cfg83 07-15-2008 12:48 AM

greenitup -

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenitup (Post 44018)
i only do the different stuff alone, when with others i just go slow and pull slow starts and stop light timing.

Me too. I even used the A/C for my wife this Sunday (GASP!!!!). But, there's still a lot to talk about in the meantime. If I do something special, it is in a demonstrate/teaching context.

CarloSW2

greenitup 07-15-2008 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 44110)
greenitup -

Me too. I even used the A/C for my wife this Sunday (GASP!!!!). But, there's still a lot to talk about in the meantime. If I do something special, it is in a demonstrate/teaching context.

CarloSW2

i don't have a/c (it broke), and when im alone i drive windows up (yep it is hot) but when people are with me they open windows. (don't want to make them suffer.)