EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Squeezing more MPG out of VW Golf... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/squeezing-more-mpg-out-vw-golf-30329.html)

Rembrant 10-26-2014 09:36 AM

Squeezing more MPG out of VW Golf...

Hiya Folks,

Great forum...love what I've been reading so far;).

I spend a lot of time on the road with my work and get paid for my mileage, so I'm interested in getting more MPG out of my 'Plain Jane' VW Golf.

The car is a 2009 VW City Golf (MK4?) with the less than exciting 2.0L 4cyl power plant and 5spd manual trans. I haven't been monitoring my MPG per se, but always pay attention to total kms per tank. I typically get 700km to 51L of fuel in good weather, but my best so far was 745km to 51L of fuel...I guess that's around 34 MPG (USG). While the MPG is OK...I think I'm only getting what the car is rated for...and I'm hoping (assuming) I can do better, at least a little bit?

I'm not out searching for massive increases in MPG...I'd be happy with even a few percentage points...heck, I'd be ecstatic with a 10% gain.

Anyway...I have lots and lots of questions and have been reading all kinds of stuff on EFIE and Volo chips, HHO kits, and of course 'Hypermiling', etc, but it's taking a bit of time for my peanut sized brain to digest it all and figure out what's worth trying and what isn't. I'm not concerned so much about the ROI of add on devices...this is really just for hobby use and to keep me entertained while I'm on the road;).

Cheers,
Rem:thumbup:

dirtydave 10-26-2014 10:35 AM

Check out the lists at the top for mods to do. And don't forget changing your driving will give you the biggest gains. Look up the same car from other users and see what worked for them.

bhazard 10-26-2014 10:50 AM

2009 should be a Mk6, and it'll have the 2.5L 5-cylinder.

Rembrant 10-26-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 451969)
Check out the lists at the top for mods to do. And don't forget changing your driving will give you the biggest gains. Look up the same car from other users and see what worked for them.

Yes, will do, thanks! I've been reading through the forum trying to find things to do. I have some experience with ECU flashing and mods, but only on motorcycles...not cars. Not sure what's available for this car...if anything...still reading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhazard (Post 451972)
2009 should be a Mk6, and it'll have the 2.5L 5-cylinder.

Yes...that MK6 version is available here as well, but this is the Golf "City" version...only sold in Canada I believe from 2007-2010. It's simply a re-released version of the old 1997-2004 VW Golf....same car with different bumpers/headlights/tailights, and same decade+ old 2.0L 8v SOHC 4cyl. It was sold here as the entry-level 'econobox' VW.

bhazard 10-26-2014 11:47 AM

I never knew that. Thanks for educating me.

Rembrant 10-26-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhazard (Post 451975)
I never knew that. Thanks for educating me.

Yeah...at a glance, they look just like the old early 2000's Golfs...almost identical in appearance, etc. They were only offered with the old 2.0L gas engine...no diesel. Most of them were absolute bare-bones cars...steel wheels with hubcaps, manual roller windows and no A/C. Mine is a "fancy" one with alloy wheels, power windows and A/C...lol, but still, even when it was brand new in 2009, it was basically a 10+ year old car...lol.