EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   Stalled while Neutral Coasting (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/stalled-while-neutral-coasting-9132.html)

alohaspirit 07-06-2009 09:09 PM

Stalled while Neutral Coasting

Im not too familiar with EOC

But I was EOnC (Engine On Coasting) down the hill when the engine shut off on me

It happened at the end during a turn when I was going maybe 10 mph or so

I didnt know what to do. So I coasted to a stop and then started the car again.
Luckily only one slow driver was behind me and he went around when I flashed the hazards.

Is this different than EOC?

Is there a way to restart while still in motion.

MetroMPG 07-06-2009 09:53 PM

Your Tracker should restart while in motion, if you're in neutral. (You were already in N, right?) Not strictly necessary to come to a stop first. Just turn the key.

I used to teach "rolling re-starts" to new drivers as part of a defensive driving curriculum (driving instructor as a part time job when I was going to university). We would intro the concept, explain how a stalled engine affected steering & brakes, and how to bop the gear selector to N to attempt a re-start if it was safe. Then try it out on a quiet road (I'd reach over and key off / on to kill the engine).

alohaspirit 07-06-2009 10:05 PM

Yeah I was in neutral

it cuts off like that sometimes when I coast slow in neutral

Ill just restart

wikityler 07-06-2009 11:28 PM

You should find out why it's stalling. Does the check engine light come on when this happens?

alohaspirit 07-06-2009 11:41 PM

My check engine light is always on, been like that for years

99LeCouch 07-07-2009 09:01 PM

Get the codes read.

Also, is your fuel level low when it stalls out? 92-93 Bonnevilles stalled when going around sharp corners when the fuel level was low.

alohaspirit 07-07-2009 09:12 PM

I know the codes (but not offhand), might be egr but thats common with my car

Its not fuel level as Im almost always at least half tank

RobertSmalls 07-14-2009 11:32 PM

Yeah, an EGR problem can cause stalling at idle.

EonC is just the same as idling while rolling.

Get it fixed! A check engine light can cause the ECU to employ a backup fuel map that is richer, uneconomical, and unlikely to stall. I know my Subaru loves to idle high when it's really cold out, or when the CEL is on.

alohaspirit 07-15-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertSmalls (Post 115751)
Yeah, an EGR problem can cause stalling at idle.

EonC is just the same as idling while rolling.

Get it fixed! A check engine light can cause the ECU to employ a backup fuel map that is richer, uneconomical, and unlikely to stall. I know my Subaru loves to idle high when it's really cold out, or when the CEL is on.

I know how to fix but I have to remove a lot just to get to it.
If I went to a shop they would probably charge a couple 100

Ill probably leave it.

Ive actually done it a couple more times.
When Im going super slow, ill shift to neutral and itll cut off
Its almost like an automatic EOC. :D

swoody 08-04-2009 09:52 PM

Good advice on the 'rolling restarts' Metro. I use that in my daily driving, and I must say it's a pretty nice little boost. I usually will try to time lights so I can EoC up to them, and then restart the car when I need to start accelerating again.