EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Starting My Own Business! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/starting-my-own-business-5812.html)

Matt Herring 10-31-2008 07:53 PM

Starting My Own Business!

For the past few months I've been thinking of ways to earn a few extra bucks without having to front alot of cash to start a business or making low wages at a part-time job.

My new business idea is to teach "normal, everyday drivers" how to get better mpg's. I've been saving up for a Scanguage II and finally scraped enough cash together to get one recently.

I ordered two magnetic car signs to put on each side of my car and they'll be here later next week. The signs say "I drive 5000 miles for FREE every year! Save $$$ on gas...call me to learn how!" My phone number is also on the bottom of the sign. The 5000 free miles is a result of my driving approx. 15,000 miles a year at 33% over epa. Even though actual free miles is closer to 4000 than 5000 it sounded like a more round number!

Just from friends and friends of friends I already have three people booked for next week. Unless my business gets extremely profitable I'm not going to worry about the whole business setup, income tax, etc. If I make enough waves to alert the feds/cops I guess that means my business is a success and I'll make it legal.

My business plan involves hooking up the scanguage to a customers car and letting them drive for a determined route. If they already have an in-dash mpg guage I'll just use that instead as some customers might be hesitant to have something foreign hooked up to their car. After they drive the route and see their actual mpg I'll do the same with their car and compare my mpg to theirs. If I can't top theirs by a decent margin I guess I shouldn't be teaching them how to drive!

The only things I'll be showing them initially is neutral cost and "nut behind the wheel" adjustments. If they want to go a little further I'll help them pump up the psi in their tires. If they want to go further than that I'll offer some mod ideas. I'll also be giving them an information sheet on how to save mpg's and also specific information related to their vehicle and expected epa (as an awareness thing for them). And, they have to sign a release waiver before I drive their car.

I took my friend out last week and got 4 more mpg than he did on the same 8 mile route...he got me 1 customer already!

While I hope to continue booking customers my only initial goal is to pay for the scanguage II ($150) and the signs ($20). I'm charging $20 per lesson (about an hour each) so after 8 or 9 customers I'm profitable. My friend flipped me $10 just for helping him out (I should note I did not plan on charging him anything).

I'm not the "best" ecomodder on this site but I think I've done pretty well increasing my mpg's from 18 to 22 in just 4 months without any major mods (just psi and nut behind the wheel).

I'll post photos of my magnetic car signs when I get them! For the record, I do not have a name for my business and any suggestions would be appreciated. My business has no affiliation with ecomodder but I'll be happy to mention the site if the customers show an interest.

Tango Charlie 10-31-2008 10:45 PM

Wow! What a great idea!
Name idea; 'Bone-afide Consulting'.

Good luck!

Matt Herring 10-31-2008 11:12 PM

for 20 bucks to buy magnetic signs and given that ive been saving for a scanguage its what i came up with to recoup the cost. initial reaction is good to my new biz.

lucky for me my landlord runs a car dealership and when i told him about my new biz tonight...over a sweet cohiba cigar...he offered the let me take test drives with his customers on sundays...my only off day. he sells gmc trucks and right now its rough times selling fat trucks. so on sunday im off to his dealership to ride along on test drives and hopefully sell lessons to dudes that drive gas guzzlin trucks!

im not at all wrench smart so with the simple pulse and glide plus psi i know i can pull better mpg than the average car or truck commuter if they want a lesson. with all the real master ecomodders on here i think they could start the own profitable biz building grill blocks and other bigger mods to make bigger bucks.

we will see where this leads but my first week in biz should almost pay for the sg2!

Matt Herring 10-31-2008 11:26 PM

thanks for the biz name suggestion too...id like to get "bone" in there since thats my nickname.

i also want something that speaks to mpgs and gas too...but i think most drivers dont know what epa means...heres what i came up with...

save @ the tank
free miles
easy throttle

ankit 10-31-2008 11:44 PM

That's a nice way to spread the word. It shows others directly what they can do and the results. Good luck and thanks for helping out the world (environment).

MetroMPG 10-31-2008 11:48 PM

Great idea, Matt. Good luck!

Matt Herring 11-01-2008 12:14 AM

im still an amateur ecomodder so its my headfirst dive into the 3 foot pool to do my part. my only motivation was to make back what i spent for the sg2 but i may be on to something. with winter coming up im not sure i took the plunge at the right time though. summer weather would be ideal for showing someone getting at epa that they could get way better mileage. living in gassachusetts i have ridiculous drivers on my side now!

hey...im driving a crappy mpg vehicle at 17 epa and get 22 on it in 99 percent city driving so i know im doing well. my commute to work is exactly 4 miles every day and i drive on the highway about 10 miles a TANK. plus with the new scanguage 2 im bound to do better.

my recent goal is to go 30 days on a tank to limit consumption and i have 14 days left with a quarter tank. ive been trying since june to limit myself to a 22 gallon tank each month...failed 12 times...have it in my crosshairs this tank even if i have to push it to the gas station this time!

FunkSkunk 11-01-2008 01:03 AM

Man that's a great idea!! Hey about meeting your goal for mileage, can you walk the last mile to work? Good for your health (I know it's cold but MAN UP lol), Good for your tank, and Good for your business propaganda... I mean plan. haha, nice work Bones!!

TestDrive 11-01-2008 01:30 AM

I wonder if you shouldn't order another unopened Scan Guage II for potential sale (at a profit) to newly trained students?

Matt Herring 11-01-2008 01:40 AM

yeah funk skunk! best name ever! wish us yankees had your spirit but 1 mile in the snow and 50 mph wind would leave me frozen mid stride. id save mpgs but kill the guy driving the car!

ive been after the elusive 1 tank per month...22 gallons..and so close i can smell it. been pushin my car out of the driveway...bought a scooter that gives me 80 mpg to supplement with a 1 gallon tank...have 120 miles left on my in car mpg guage and 10 trips left on an 8 mile round trip commute. got a 12 pack of bud as a reward if i make it!

my little biz idea is small but thus far is efficient. bet the real ecomodders could max out with skills and the tools and knowledge to build simple mpg smart mods that look good on normal drivers. im just trying to max out my skills...dare i say the wes welker of ecomodding!