EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Stick users 90% here? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/stick-users-90-here-22898.html)

larrybuck 08-12-2012 06:23 PM

Stick users 90% here?

According to THEM: Here in the USA THEY say only 5% of the American public
in their own vehicles drive stick shifts instead of automatics.

I'm guessing that serious people on this forum are 90% stick people.

Do you think my estimate is a bit high or what?

Weather Spotter 08-12-2012 06:49 PM

you are a bit high but I think here its about 50/50

Gealii 08-12-2012 07:13 PM

i would say the more serious ecomodders would have a stick, but alot of us just fall into cars that were being sold at a steal price. I was personally only looking for a stick for my last car, but then my buddy offered an auto 4banger that was in excellent condition for the area and price and had to take it. Others have the significant other that refuses to learn how to drive stick

Flakbadger 08-12-2012 08:23 PM

I searched for a Yaris Sedan for almost 3 months trying to find a single one with a manual transmission that didn't also have a billion miles on it. I refused to compromise.
I'm worried that in 5-10 years there won't be a manual transmission option on any vehicle.
EDIT: Mine IS a manual transmission, I didn't explicitly say so earlier.

Ryland 08-12-2012 08:52 PM

Any way to add a poll on to this thread?

sid 08-12-2012 08:56 PM

I thought there was a poll on this subject a few months ago.

By the way, I drive a stick. I am also concerned that there may be no manual transmission option in the future.

Diesel_Dave 08-12-2012 09:31 PM

You know you're an ecomodder when you regard the automatic transmission as an evil, destructive technology...in the same category as nuclear weapons, nerve gas, and torture devices.

scivicblu83 08-12-2012 10:02 PM

stick

2000neon 08-12-2012 10:40 PM

I am in the exact situation Gealii described, I was looking specifically for a manual, but my Neon came up at far too good of a deal to pass up with an auto.

BackroadBomber 08-12-2012 11:03 PM

Both of my vehicles are stick. They've already phased out standards in pickup trucks in the u.s. the Tacoma and Colorado have the option, but those are mid-sized. The only full size truck you can get with a manual in the states, last time I checked, is a ford f-250 or larger only with a diesel. The f-250's and up had the standard option with the gas engines untill 2011 when they changed the engines. Chevy trucks nixed the standard after 07 (except for diesels) f-150's after 03 were only auto and I have no idea about dodges. Most mid sized cars are only available with auto. It actually amazes me that the new ford fusion is available in stick, and the first few years of the ford escape (04-06 i think) had it as an option. Luckily though, smallers cars still come standard with a standard. Although, I believe in the next decade it'll become an option that will cost more.

Mustang Dave 08-12-2012 11:03 PM

An automatic in a Mustang is just WRONG! And when I bought my Mustang I didn't realize how fortunate I was to find a V-6 Mustang with a "bolt action". :thumbup:
Automatics are OK as long as they are firearms.:)

TEiN 08-12-2012 11:54 PM

We recently bought a new Honda Civic sedan with a manual transmission. Only available in the cheapest two versions. I would have liked to get the high-mpg HX model, but it was auto-only, and that is a deal killer. The dealer did a locate to find a manual: there were only four in the state.

War_Wagon 08-12-2012 11:55 PM

The 95% automatics for the "general" population seems a bit high, if only because there are a lot of people out there driving older cars, and older cars have a higher chance of being standard. I remember reading an article years ago (sorry, I can't source it) that said the military in the USA was switching to automatics for the simple reason that the majority of the new recruits couldn't drive standard! So, let me get this straight, you can teach someone how to use an automatic firearm, or to survive in the wilderness with no supplies, but teaching them how to use the 3rd pedal is too hard?

In the 1990s when I used to buy and sell a lot of muscle cars, a 4 speed car always brought a premium. After all, if there were 3 '71 Demons for sale, and 2 were automatics, you'd go look at the 4 speed car first. Then when stick cars got too hard to find, people started converting autos to sticks. I think that ecomodding friendly cars will end up in a similar situation. The majority of people today won't want to buy a used car with a manual transmission, so they will end up getting scrapped as they get too old to be worth anything. I like my Civic station wagons, but up here they are hard to find in general, and even harder to find with a 5 speed. A few weeks ago I spent 6 hours on a return trip to go pick up a beat up wagon with an automatic and a lot of miles on it, simply because I can see the pattern repeating itself. It was cheap, wasn't rusted out, and while at the moment it wouldn't be worth converting to a standard, 5 years from now when gasoline is at $$$ who knows a gallon, I might need a reliable vehicle with a lot of room in it that gets great mileage. A rusted out Civic CX hatchback parts car with a 5 speed will be dirt cheap, and a 5 speed swap will actually make sense in terms of operating costs.

Just my 2 cents, but as someone that owns 2 first gen Insights, and a first gen Prius, the whole comparison to the death of the muscle car in the '70s due to the gas crunch makes perfect sense, only in reverse. High gas prices killed the hemi 'Cuda and the SS 396 Nova, and high gas prices will also create a demand for cheap cars that no one paid attention to 5 years ago that get decent mileage.:snail:

cfg83 08-13-2012 12:12 AM

Hello -

There are about 6658 cars in the garage right now. I went into the garage and searched for manual trannies. Unfortunately it only shows the first 1000. Soooo, I went back year by year until 1971 and found 2915 manual trannies. 2915 / 6658 = 0.437 => 44% => there are *at least* 44% manual trannies (in the garage) on this forum.

CarloSW2

gone-ot 08-13-2012 06:10 PM

...although this is rather 'dated' information, it's source and content seemed VERY appropriate for this subject:

• Source: Dale Jewett, "Americans prefer two pedals to three," Automotive Industries (AI) magazine, November 1999, p. 15:

"Americans began making the shift to automatic transmissions almost 60 years ago, when Oldsmobile introduced the Hydra-matic Drive. Today, less than 20% of the vehicles sold in North America roll out of the dealership with a clutch. At General Motors, the automatic is the undisputed king--nine out of every ten vehicles sold in 1998 had an automatic.

Europeans, faced with high gasoline prices that put a premium on fuel economy, are the polar opposite. Barely more than 1 in 10 vehicles sold there in 1998 had an automatic transmission.

The middle ground lies in Asia. Even though gasoline prices in the region occupy the same lofty position as in Europe, narrow streets and traffic congestion prompted nearly 50% of car buyers in 1998 to opt for an automatic transmission.

But the future growth for transmissions lies in hybrid combinations of automatics and manuals--primarily in the coming wave of continuously variable transmissions (CVT)--as automakers seek to claim some of the fuel economy benefits of manuals without need for a customer unfriendly clutch pedal. GM, Ford and Nissan are among the automakers with large-scale CVT production plans for the early part of the next decade. Toyota is also in the hunt with a CVT, and also plans to offer "clutchless-manual" transmission in the MR Spyder two-seater."

Overall Industry 1998 Calendar Year:
• North America...83% Automatic / 17% Manual
• Asia-Pacific....47% Automatic / 51% Manual
• Western Europe..13% Automatic / 87% Manual
• Global..........45% Automatic / 55% Manual

General Motors 1998 Calendar Year:
• North America...90% Automatic / 10% Manual
• Asia-Pacific....60% Automatic / 40% Manual
• Western Europe..90% Automatic / 10% Manual
• Global..........65% Automatic / 35% Manual

...I posted this info before, but couldn't find it, so I hope you all don't mind my being "redundant."

ADDENDUM -- found it!: http://ecomodder.com/forum/209670-post78.html

euromodder 08-13-2012 06:15 PM

Europe is shifting towards automatics though.
Double clutch automatics mostly, but still ... automatics.

Cd 08-13-2012 06:31 PM

I don't like standards because I can't text while I'm driving . *

* ( wink ! )

Gealii 08-13-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 321401)
* ( wink ! )

i can time to update that radio to bluetooth calling u just talk ur txt message and it writes it out and sends it

vskid3 08-13-2012 08:55 PM

My last 3 vehicles have been stick. My Escape is only automatic because no manual SUV will come close to the same mileage without a ton of work. I will always try to get a manual vehicle, but the options are getting fewer and fewer as time goes on. Automatics are just boring to me, the only reason I can stand my Escape is the challenge of getting into and staying in EV mode.

My sister is currently learning to drive, and my dad is starting her out in their manual Civic. All the drivers in my family can drive stick. I would say that it should be mandatory to learn to drive stick (if physically able), but that would just make it harder for me to buy one. :P

bobo333 08-14-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

* ( wink ! )
ive only ever owned manuals and i can still text while driving :P

(i dont do it often though)

automatics bore me and frustrate me because they are never in the gear i want to be in when i want to be in it, every time I drive an auto i shift manually if i can

i cant see myself ever buying an auto either