Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2017, 07:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
i should weld

Exclamation I have a confession to make... (2002 Ford F150XL RWD 4200cc, 4 speed)

Never go full neutral, folks.

I just engine off neutral coasted at around 80 km/h in a sort of unpoliced part of town where no one cares if you're doing 100 in second on a 50 road with an instructor with the same opinion of going fast as you in shotgun and Ls on the back.

Holy **** that hurt.

I was still able to steer once I went back to the "engine runnable" position but the steering wheel was stiff as a censored. I cranked the starter less than 2sec later.

Tuesday, I was powersliding (much less efficient use of fuel, of course, but safer and more fun).

Of course, my 0-100-0 time was quite the sight to behold for such an "underpowered" (by Canadian redneck standards) truck... I think it has like 180-190hp this high up?

Yeah... I think I'll be sticking to light footed normal driving. Anyone wish to suggest tips for doing that?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2017, 12:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
I have done neutral EOC in a Corolla once, also fitted with a 4-speed automatic. Well, at least the lever-operated parking brake kept it more controllable than the pedal-operated setup usually fitted to a truck, but it's still something I'm not willing to try again.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
eoc many times no drama in a geo metro with no PS

i used EO coasting quite a bit with a 5sp geo metro to see what max speed would get to on a very long decent
on route 84 west bound from connecticut just a wee bit east of the tacanic parkway

i could test aerodynamic improvements and UNimprovements along with rolling resistance from various tire types size s used the GPS for speed as the speedo value would change with tire size changes

terminal speeds were around 65 to 70mph depending on weather i was testing an unimprovement or an improvement

so
i did

it was never any real drama
a 1996 geo metro with a 5sp and no power steering .
not much different than regular driving

i do not do EOC with the TDi .... yet anyway
with the TDi i do coast in nuetral engine at idle AC on every time i drive the car
without fail
Old 07-31-2017, 07:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 41.9 mpg (US)
I ran a test before I took the time to put in my kill switch. Got the truck up to speed, shut of the engine, pumped the brakes until the vacuum was gone, then stopped using only the service brakes. On a downhill grade. Without the emergency brake, and without engine braking.

When I knew that I could stop the truck using only the service brakes without vacuum assist, then I put in the kill switch. A properly adjusted seat and a strong right leg are essential for this.
06 Canyon: The vacuum gauge plus wheel covers helped increase summer 2015 mileage to 38.5 MPG, while summer 2016 mileage was 38.6 MPG without the wheel covers. Drove 33,021 miles 2016-2018 at 35.00 MPG.

22 Maverick: Summer 2022 burned 62.74 gallons in 3145.1 miles for 50.1 MPG. Winter 2023-2024 - 2416.7 miles, 58.66 gallons for 41 MPG.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
When I knew that I could stop the truck using only the service brakes without vacuum assist, then I put in the kill switch. A properly adjusted seat and a strong right leg are essential for this.
It feels quite weird that the service brakes in a vehicle fitted with vacuum assist actually get heavier than non-assisted brakes when there is no vacuum.

Reply  Post New Thread