Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2020, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Ecky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 4,674

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 36.7 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,547
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,402 Posts
You could change out the controller for a programmable one.

My velomobile topped out around 50mph, but I had a programmable controller which I set up to allow a speed cap in 5mph increments. It was great for letting strangers/children ride in it without risking they'd take out a tree or telephone pole.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,531

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanks: 264
Thanked 1,130 Times in 769 Posts
Well I rode it to work for the first time and then ordered a suspension seat post and a new seat off Amazon while I was waiting to clock in. It actually wasn't that bad but why not make it better. It took me an extra 5-6 mins longer each way compared to driving, but when traffic gets busy again after the shutdown I bet the ride home may even save a minute or two. It did save me $.67 in diesel so just 1654 more trips and this thing has paid for itself! Oh wait I need 100 more that that to buy the new suspension seatpost and seat. The battery was just starting to show 4/5 bars on the hill home but once I stopped it went back to 5/5 bars. Don't know exactly what that means but am guessing I could probably go a week between charging although I'll probably do it every 2-3 days. I'm charging tonight because they say do 3, 12 hour exactly charges to initially balance the battery and I want to get that out of the way.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #13 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 3,016
Thanks: 335
Thanked 869 Times in 760 Posts
If it's below 70 degrees, expect the slow return. It's chemical after all.

Do the 3 charge cycles, but don't expect that to equalize the pack. The cells have to be done one by one either top or bottom balance.
__________________
casual notes from the underground:There are some "experts" out there that in reality don't have a clue as to what they are doing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason
 
JSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 2,790

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanks: 225
Thanked 1,569 Times in 1,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Well I rode it to work for the first time and then ordered a suspension seat post and a new seat off Amazon while I was waiting to clock in. It actually wasn't that bad but why not make it better. It took me an extra 5-6 mins longer each way compared to driving, but when traffic gets busy again after the shutdown I bet the ride home may even save a minute or two. It did save me $.67 in diesel so just 1654 more trips and this thing has paid for itself! Oh wait I need 100 more that that to buy the new suspension seatpost and seat. The battery was just starting to show 4/5 bars on the hill home but once I stopped it went back to 5/5 bars. Don't know exactly what that means but am guessing I could probably go a week between charging although I'll probably do it every 2-3 days. I'm charging tonight because they say do 3, 12 hour exactly charges to initially balance the battery and I want to get that out of the way.
I'll be curious to see how you like. I see quite a few Rad Runners and Rad Wagons around here and they seem to be a good mix of quality and cost.

I think there is a e-bike in my future but I want a mid-drive with and internal hub which means I will likely need to build my own. I'm torn between a small gas motorcycle vs an e-bike for full time van life.

If you are using 20% of the battery SOC per day I would charge every night. Charging every 3 days (60%) will reduce battery by about 1/2. According to this chart discharging to 20-40% is optimal for battery life.

The charge comes from: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...ased_batteries
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-10 at 8.30.25 AM - Edited.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	27861  
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Hersbird (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 03:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,531

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanks: 264
Thanked 1,130 Times in 769 Posts
I'm 1/2 way through my 2nd trip without charging or about 10 miles and it's still showing 4/5ths. I'll definitely charge it at home tonight. They say 25-45 miles and I'm going to easily get the 25 and I am running max pedal assist. I have a small 60' hill on the way home and a gradual 20' gain on the way to work. I pedal, but not that hard, and have about 4-5 stops I have to make on 3.5 trip each way. I should check the voltage when i get home and then after a full 12 hr charge and see exactly what I'm using. The gauge is to simple to show voltage.

That table does look like 20% is the sweet spot. 10% gets you more cycles but not twice the 20% which would happen 1/2 as often.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
vskid3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 975

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Thanks: 193
Thanked 312 Times in 221 Posts
Do you have a charger that can stop at 80%? That's where the big gains are, not going all the way to 0% or 100%.

The flat discharge curve for lithium makes it difficult to estimate the charge based on voltage. I used a watt meter like this for my ebike to keep track of how much power I used. http://amazon.com/GT-Power-Analyzer-...dp/B00C1BZSYO/
__________________


Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,531

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanks: 264
Thanked 1,130 Times in 769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Do you have a charger that can stop at 80%? That's where the big gains are, not going all the way to 0% or 100%.

The flat discharge curve for lithium makes it difficult to estimate the charge based on voltage. I used a watt meter like this for my ebike to keep track of how much power I used. http://amazon.com/GT-Power-Analyzer-...dp/B00C1BZSYO/
I had a watt meter just like that for my other bike and it died. The other bike was a 52 volt so maybe it was too much at 100% charge? Maybe it was just a bad unit as it only lasted a week.

I was wondering how to figure out how to stop charging at 80% and then just charge every day after riding. The supplied charger gives no clue. Maybe I'll just get a time down. Maybe I'll just not worry so much and be happy with whatever. Batteries are getting less expensive still.

Looks like a 12 hr charge goes to 53.7 volts on a 48v battery so 95% according to the chart I found? At least that's not 100%

Last edited by Hersbird; 04-11-2020 at 08:00 AM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 3,016
Thanks: 335
Thanked 869 Times in 760 Posts
There are many cheap voltage displays that have a smart programmable switching option using relays which could be used inline between the charger and the battery.

Charts are inaccurate, as is bulk charging for determining SOC on series banks.
__________________
casual notes from the underground:There are some "experts" out there that in reality don't have a clue as to what they are doing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,531

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanks: 264
Thanked 1,130 Times in 769 Posts
So if a 20% discharge is best and limit to 80% max is best, does that mean you run 80% down the 60% and then recharge to 80% for best life?
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
JSH (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 3,016
Thanks: 335
Thanked 869 Times in 760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
So if a 20% discharge is best and limit to 80% max is best, does that mean you run 80% down the 60% and then recharge to 80% for best life?
That is what empirical testing the last ten years indicate

__________________
casual notes from the underground:There are some "experts" out there that in reality don't have a clue as to what they are doing.
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com