Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Freak Show - '00 VW Jetta
90 day: 45.96 mpg (US)
Hello & MK IV TDI Question

Greetings,

Been lurking here for awhile and must say I'm impressed with all the information floating around on the topic of FE.

I have 00 Jetta TDI that I have been consistant 50MPG out of in stock trim. I have been laying out my plan for improving my rigs efficiency and will begin testing soon. I am trying to get all my instrumentation in order so I can record data & try to better understand why something does/does not work.

That being said, I'm curious what are other MK4 TDI owners are getting for fuel economy? Any detail regarding your experinces would be most appreciated as well.

Best regards and look forward to having some fun with this.
TDLI

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
Welcome aboard! I see that you're out by RT47, way west from me.

The mpg figure is about right for a carefully driven TDI. If you want to improve that, the TDIClub might be your best bet for info and upgrades. You will learn more about your car there than anyplace.

Here are a couple of things that have worked for me with these electronic diesels:

Get some Hot Shot's Secret and run it through your motor. This product will clean the engine, but most importanly bring the injector performance back to as new. You will feel a difference; boost response is improved because it cleans the centersection of the turbo out. Not expensive, and it works as promised. Combine that with some cleaner in the tank, the car will wake up.

Be sure to do the timing belt service if you haven't done so.

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
Old 08-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Freak Show - '00 VW Jetta
90 day: 45.96 mpg (US)
Thanks Cleanspeed.
I'm very familiar with the ALH TDI and have been planning my mods for awhile. TDI Club has a wealth of information and is a very good resaource. I've already replaced timing belt & wheel bearings on my rig, seems status quo for the Jettas from what I've seen.

I'll take a look at the Hot Shot secret you recommended as the mileage is certainly dirtied things up im sure. I've been seeing a decrease in MPG lately, as well as some smoke during more aggressive acceleration, so I think a intake cleaning is in order.

Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
I get 43-45 mpg with my 2001 New Beetle (automatic) in a 60/40 hwy/city commute. No mods but properly inflated tires.

Welcome.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Definately a Modder!

Lately I have been getting 54 MPG in town. Before I swapped the automatic transmission to the 5-speed manual, I was getting 45 in town. Keeping maintenance up to spec is critical with these engines as you know I am experimenting with a few mods for my TDI that I believe is netting some MPGs. You can read about it in the Fuel Economy section of TDIclub.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=306799&page=4

Last edited by Josh8loop; 08-15-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread