EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   Suggestions on cheap car and MPG (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/suggestions-cheap-car-mpg-27531.html)

john6969 11-14-2013 12:25 PM

Suggestions on cheap car and MPG

I drive my kids back and forth to school everyday 60 miles total. I am driving a 2009 town and country 19 mgp..

So I am looking for a cheap car just take kids back and forth to school

I have a 98 acura cl 3.0 that I am going to sell for 2k so that is my budget.

I am leaning towards a civic any suggestions on a car that I can easliy change a few things and get close to 40 MPG

thank you

john6969 11-14-2013 08:53 PM

well I found a car that I am going to buy 2002 accord leather 167,000 1500.00

Owner say it burn half quart every 4 to 5000 miles.

and gets about 29 highway.

what easy mods can I do this to improve this to get around 35

And what do you think could be burning the oil

War_Wagon 11-14-2013 08:56 PM

If it's a V6 automatic start saving now for a new transmission.

Frank Lee 11-14-2013 09:03 PM

No busses? :confused:

spacemanspif 11-14-2013 09:26 PM

Half quart in 4500 miles is nothing to worry about.

What engine/trans are in it? I do full tune-up on any car I buy so I know that oil, plugs, wires, filters and possibly coolant are all new and in good condition. Synthetic oil might get you a very small bump in eco.

john6969 11-15-2013 10:00 AM

2.3 engine not sure about the tranny it is auto.

I am going to do a full tune up should I go with what brand for best results.

what about chip they say give HP and MPG?

What about sealing up the grill etc

Fat Charlie 11-15-2013 12:29 PM

Go with the OE plugs- same brand and type, you don't have to get them from a dealer.

A chip probably isn't the best idea.

A grille block is a good move, but you'll want a ScanGauge or UltraGauge (which you'll want anyway) to monitor your coolant temp.

Higher tire pressures, maybe an air dam. There are all sorts of mods to read about here.

Oh, and welcome to the party!

some_other_dave 11-15-2013 10:45 PM

The least-expensive mods, and among the most effective, can be found here: 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

-soD

UltArc 11-16-2013 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_other_dave (Post 399651)
The least-expensive mods, and among the most effective, can be found here: 100+ Hypermiling / ecodriving tips & tactics for better mpg - EcoModder.com

-soD

I was going to copy and paste the 65+ Mods, and the 100+ Tips- but I have recently lost my initiative to keep doing that when people do not search, or at least browse the site. :/

euromodder 11-16-2013 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 399668)
I was going to copy and paste the 65+ Mods, and the 100+ Tips- but I have recently lost my initiative to keep doing that when people do not search, or at least browse the site. :/

It'd be a good idea to make these a wee bit more prominent / visible though.
I know it's taken me a while to spot them, back in the day. :o

As for the car :
- manual transmission
- small engine displacement (under 2L)
- decently maintained (at least the technical end, cosmetics are grossly irrelevant)

Or look into other options for getting the kids to school - like the (school)bus.
If there are any, of course.
The issue with school runs is that you do twice the miles it actually takes to get the kids there and back.
Not very efficient, and with it being a daily chore, the miles rack up quickly.

Back in the day (70s-80s) we walked (< 1mile) or biked (< 6 miles) to school.
The kids who came from further away usually took the bus, some by bike when the weather was OK.
Very few were dropped off by car.

Frank Lee 11-16-2013 01:07 PM

My family was always on the very furthest edge of the school district; I rode the bus every day and was the last one off. I even rode after I got my driver's license because gas was expensive. My folks already paid for it after all, whether I got on it or not.