EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Summer grill block: how hot will you go? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/summer-grill-block-how-hot-will-you-go-26050.html)

knochenhauer 06-02-2013 08:50 PM

Summer grill block: how hot will you go?

Greetings! I was curious, how hot will you let your engine run in the summer heat with your grill block.

Currently running my Focus with full grill block at ~217f, max. Thinking of partial grill block.

How hot will you go?

Rango318 06-02-2013 09:34 PM

With my car being OBD1, I don't have any exact numbers. I know when the weather is cold, it usually sits just below the half way mark. At half way, the fans kick in. I have had it this year get up to 3/4 the way up, but that was in almost 90 degrees and with low coolant. If it gets any hotter than that, i will pull over to let it cool.

Xist 06-03-2013 02:12 AM

I only tried a full grill block at 5am and my engine was too warm. I think that it spent too much energy cooling itself because it actually got worse mileage than without a grill block.

slowmover 06-03-2013 09:20 AM

Diesel_Dave points out that the grille block has become a problem, not a solution, if coolant temps rise above thermostat opening because of it.

I work a 6/2 week. The short runs to/from work weren't a problem, bu the days off with errands to run finally got me to remove the lower of four portions of the GB once we became full-time in A/C season (May 1 last yer, June 1 this year).

Over-inflation of tires and blcoking heat exchangers can have some serious consequnces (braking for one, engine longevity on the other).

Diesel_Dave 06-03-2013 12:51 PM

Yes, you always want your thermostat to control your final operating temp. If your temps rise beyond the full open temp of the thermostat, then you've blocked the grill too much--a scary situation, because there's no longer any closed-loop control of coolant temp.

knochenhauer 06-03-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel_Dave (Post 374489)
Yes, you always want your thermostat to control your final operating temp. If your temps rise beyond the full open temp of the thermostat, then you've blocked the grill too much--a scary situation, because there's no longer any closed-loop control of coolant temp.

At what temperature does a typical thermostat open fully?

Gealii 06-03-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knochenhauer (Post 374582)
At what temperature does a typical thermostat open fully?

Depends on the temp of the thermostat

And as far as the original question i keep it around 189F as after 205F my efans kick on which only happens with a full grill block

redpoint5 06-03-2013 09:07 PM

My T-stat is fully open at 190 in my TSX, and the fan kicks in at 213. I initially did a full grill block during the winter and had no issues with trips of 30min or less, but driving an hour on the freeway had the fans cycling on every minute. Since then I have opened it up 25%.

I'm curious if blocking could cause other problems due to under-hood temperatures rising. Has anyone done a before and after comparison of under-hood temps? I'd hate to loose a PS pump, AC compressor, or some engine management computer due to a grill block. There are electronic ballasts for my headlights in the engine compartment and I'm concerned about the heat there as well.

On top of all this, the AC radiator relies on airflow from the grill for cooling. I'm wondering if the cabin cooling efficiency can drop too low even if the engine radiator is getting sufficient airflow?

UltArc 06-03-2013 09:08 PM

I keep 100%, my temp gauge temperature gets to 220* at its very highest, once in the past (v6 fascia, NO aero mods, I hit 223* on a 3 hour trip with the entire front of my car covered with tape) it went to 223, but not since. My temp gauge meter shows a 89.9*. Just a tiny little hair from being directly straight up, it leans towards cool. It has never been towards the hot end, so until I am further educated, I think I am good with my setup. She has seen as hot as 90*s outside.

I hope to learn from this thread, as I am trying to be careful, yet keep the engine warm.

mcrews 06-03-2013 10:13 PM

225 starts to worry me.
I went w/ just a lower grill ojn the kia sportage. Had a partial on upper and hit 225 so I removed it.
now I get 217 as a high