Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
MPG Future Seeker

Gold Maximus - '93 Nissan Maxima
2007 Ninja vs 2010 Ninja (250R Class)

Alright.., I can buy an 07 Ninja with about 10k miles on it for $2000. He would probably give me his gear with the bike too.

On the other hand.. this 2010 bike.., the one selective style you can get for it..is very vampiric and just..it suits me completely. Take a look: http://www.paddockreport.com/wp-cont...i_ninja250.jpg

So basically, I want all your opinions on what you think between the two... SHOOT. Btw.. the 2010 one costs about anywhere from $2000-2400 more.. (($4000-4400))

Things that would help to include:

(A) The MPG in the 07 vs 10
(B) Anything and everything

-Alex Fitz

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 45.16 mpg (US)
From the casual observer.

2400 is a crap load of gas. The 2010 looks a lot better. (weren't the faringings redesigned in...08/09?)
Old 03-19-2010, 05:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
MPG Future Seeker

I just obsessed the whole entire day until 5:29AM in the morning. And I think I came down to this, and thought myself into ..not getting a bike. Even though they are sexy

$2000 .. I just did a bunch of math and typed it but it might come off as confusing. So I deleted it to make it more simple..for moderate readers

14,545 miles I can get out of my car with $2000, with gas at a steady rate of $2.75 per Gallon

I think I drove the car already 7000 miles in aprox a year since i had it........ I could start early and it would be a good investment to get a bike though.

Now im making myself think about getting one again.

help me out here guys..I need some q and a..some opinions ..discussion, thoughts

I mean atleast another 7000 miles it will cost me about $1000 in gas, but atleast in those 7000 miles I have a square box of metal protecting me if godforbid in a rare rare, super rare blue moon life throwing you an extreme curveball from planets far, far, far far away, a drunk person hits me.

I have seen horror vids of just someone on a bike just sitting there at a red light stopped...and some guy runs him over in his truck ((I guess he was drunk))

Old 03-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Here's the best I can do. Factor in the cost of the motorcycle, the motorcycles maintenance (including gas/tires/etc), insurance/registration cost of two vehicles. *there is probably more, but you get the idea.

Then figure out how much you're willing to pay for "fun" i.e. the joy of riding a motorcycle. I doubt you will ever come out ahead in 5 years, but will you enjoy it more? Hell yes.

If you're scared about dying on it, you need to remember to be careful on it and ride when you are visible. No one but yourself can decide if you want to ride one and risk your life. How busy is your commute?
Old 03-19-2010, 03:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
MPG Future Seeker

You could save more in the long run of traveling more miles with the bike im sure

Especially like..traveling 60,000 miles on a bike vs 60,000 miles on car.

I know being careful, but im just saying..things you cant control. Such as the extreme curveball of someone hitting you from behind when your stopped at a redlight.

If that ever happened and im in a car, im protected by atleast a suit of metal/ some type of an armored box.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Geo - '93 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_FITZ View Post
You could save more in the long run of traveling more miles with the bike im sure

I can give you good information on either side. Do what you want.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Overland - '24 Nissan Versa S 5MT
90 day: 40.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_FITZ View Post
I know being careful, but im just saying..things you cant control. Such as the extreme curveball of someone hitting you from behind when your stopped at a redlight.
Riding a motorcycle is of course going to entail more danger than driving a car, however, they do still have mirrors on motorcycles, as is required by law. I've avoided many accidents by simply meandering out of the way of incompetent drivers.

If you get hit from behind at a red light, your only possible excuse is having nowhere to move in front of you, and even then you should still be able to ditch the bike and run for cover if you're paying enough attention.

Although I've dropped my bikes a few times in learning, I've survived 32,000 2-wheel miles without being hit by someone else.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
I've had 100K miles on a 'bike & haven't been run over yet. But then, I'm "anally attentive" ... I pretty much assume that other drivers are out to get me.

60K miles on a 'bike is a really long way. You should consider weather as well. It's a lot more noticeable on a 'bike. When the weather's perfect, there's nothing like being on a 'bike. But when it's cold, it's freakin' cold; when it's wet, it's soaking wet; and when it's hot, it's unbearably hot on a 'bike. Some people can deal with it, others are fair weather riders only, and still use a car over 75% of the time. Even though I've had periods where I was pretty hard-core, I needed a car about 25% of the time for carrying larger loads, carrying more people, or simply for comfort reasons.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The motorcycle will cost about 35 cents a mile to operate and the 250 engine will last 100k miles if you treat it well. The 2009-2010 is geared one tooth higher than the older bikes and is tuned for a bit more mid-range torque. The Ninja is in high demand and commands top dollar these days. For commuting vs sport riding consider a crusier and add your own fairing. A 125cc Kawasaki Eliminator gets 95 mpg stock for less than $3000 and a Yamaha Rifle style full body fairing from Craig Vetter is about $1000 plus shipping.
The weather in SW Pa is fairly mild most of the year but wet snow and cold rain can result in hypothermia without adequate protection. Get hold of a wind chill chart.
You are about as safe on a motorcycle with a helmet and back plate as the Amish are in their buggies. There are plenty of things you can do to prevent an accident by being alert, using lights, and your horn. You might even consider small touring bars, extra lights, and an inertia reel lap belt.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
MPG Future Seeker

Well. If im going to buy one, I think the smartest choice would to be either buying a cheap 2007-2010 Eliminator 125 ((124cc)) for less then $2400, anywhere from $1000 (if possible) - $2000

OR

Buy the used 2007 Ninja 250R with aprox. 10,000 miles on it, for $2000 which to me looks like its in very good condition.

Reply  Post New Thread