EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Switch fossil combustion motor to Forklift electric motor (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/switch-fossil-combustion-motor-forklift-electric-motor-32757.html)

ecoshailo 09-14-2015 01:25 PM

Switch fossil combustion motor to Forklift electric motor

Hello everyone, I have to make two decisions, one is to switch to a 100% electric car..........The other one is witch car to switch. I have a Chevrolet Aveo 2009, 4 doors, standard. Also I have a Dodge Intrepid, automatic 2001.
My budget it's more than limited and the idea it's to use a forklift motor with deep circle batteries. I need all help that I can get to start this project into the next 30 days.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-14-2015 05:14 PM

First of all, you have to define what are your exact goals for the project. Wanna take it into highways or just around town? How much space are you likely to sacrifice for the amount of batteries required to the predicted range? Are you likely to haul some passenger alongside you or just a few grocery bags? Want air-conditioner and power steering or would feel OK without it? What you consider to use as a cab heat provision?

ecoshailo 09-14-2015 05:23 PM

I drive from London, On to Toronto, On twice at week it's about 400 km the round trip, I have two children and wife (4 people). I spend CAN$40 per trip. THat's not much, but my Aveo motor it's almost dead. About the heat and other aspect I will need the advice from the experiences of this forum.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 09-14-2015 05:44 PM

I guess that trip is more expensive with the Intrepid. Is that landyacht really necessary? Have you never considered to get another compact car to replace it, and eventually such move could allow you to direct some more funds to the electric conversion project?

ecoshailo 09-14-2015 05:55 PM

I spend 60/65 bucks with the intrepid, but I can have access to some forklift motors, that's why I'm thinking to switch to electric also a friend of mine can get some batteries for this project. I'm not sure with witch motor it's better for what I'm looking for. Luckily I can find someone with the knowledge and patience to show me the steps to follow.

vskid3 09-14-2015 07:53 PM

Sounds like you want to build something like the Forkenswift, which probably falls very short of your required speed and range. Big 3 electric car questions: How fast? How far? How much? - ForkenSwift.com Even a Nissan Leaf won't make it 200km on a charge. I think Rooster is right in that you should just get a compact car like a Corolla, Civic, or Fit for the trip.

ecoshailo 09-14-2015 08:58 PM

I already have the Aveo as a compact car for the trip.

ecoshailo 09-14-2015 09:03 PM

I was thinking...why I can"t drive 200km with a single charge? It's a straight route, most of the time I'm going in 5th gear. the main problem is the batteries? or the motor can be damaged...in short what it's the principal problem?

vskid3 09-14-2015 09:28 PM

Forklift motor is probably way under powered for highway speeds. What batteries are you thinking of using? If they're lead acid, you'll likely need at least the Aveo's weight in them to get that kind of range. Basically, you're going to need to spend in the tens of thousands of dollars to get 200km range and freeway speeds by using a more powerful motor and lithium based batteries. You would need to make the trip maaaany times for it to be cheaper than using your Aveo. Go ahead and do it if you want, but don't kid yourself into thinking you'll save money.

Piotrsko 09-15-2015 07:59 PM

Nah a 9" or bigger traction motor from a forklift will smoke tires on an aveo.

Snag some junked chevy volt ( I'm partial) or used leaf cells, build Paul's home made dc controller should do the trick. The aveo has way better aerodynamics than the Ranger I converted. Should be able to get 200 clicks to a charge.