EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   Tail gaters how to stop them (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tail-gaters-how-stop-them-35175.html)

chefdave 05-15-2017 08:36 PM

Tail gaters how to stop them

Hi any ideas on how to stop tail gaters without wrecking your own car. So far left foot breaking has best results for stopping them. Any better ideas

Daox 05-15-2017 08:38 PM

Ignore them.

ksa8907 05-15-2017 08:41 PM

Move your rear mirror up so you can't see them, out of sight out of mind.

fusion210 05-15-2017 09:03 PM

Move with the speed of traffic in the slow lane. Don't stick out like a sore thumb trying to go 55mph in a 65mph zone. Personally I get better mileage with the wall of cars in front of me doing 70-75mph keeping back two seconds than trying to go slow on my own. If you find a semi you're golden, people know they aren't going to go any faster and pass most of the time.

oil pan 4 05-15-2017 10:27 PM

Roll coal on them.

ChopStix 05-15-2017 10:45 PM

007 oil slick and smoke screen?

hamsterpower 05-16-2017 06:53 AM

When did this forum fill up with trolls and stop being helpful?

Stubby79 05-16-2017 09:56 AM

AFAIK, they're trying to be amusing. That's not trolling in my book.

Ecky 05-16-2017 10:02 AM

I've been known to occasionally throw on my hazards to encourage people to pass me on roads with passing lanes. On roads without them, I stick to the speed limit, which thankfully is ~50mph on most around here.

jjackstone 05-16-2017 10:03 AM

Weelllll.... In another life I might have connected a toggle switch to my reverse lights. But I would not suggest doing something that might be construed as illegal.
JJ

Fat Charlie 05-16-2017 11:07 AM

Nothing illegal about connecting toggle switches...

freebeard 05-16-2017 01:15 PM

If they're actually looking out their windshield, just abruptly weave from side to side in the lane.

ECO-AKJ 05-16-2017 02:00 PM

You could do a bumper sticker that says: Warning, this vehicle stops faster than yours

cajunfj40 05-16-2017 03:00 PM

Eh, mostly ignore 'em... when safe.

From what I recall, there isn't a single, always-effective way to safely get a tailgator to back off or pass.

I just checked, and the MN Drivers Manual has this to say: "If the vehicle behind you is following too closely, slow down slightly and allow it to pass." This matches what I recall from Driver's Ed, too. Doesn't mean that the person doing the following isn't going to get angry and ride closer, of course, or pass you, nearly cut you off, and brake-check you in retaliation.

Road rage is always a potential problem, of course. If it seems safer to speed up and get out of their way - like taking a turnoff or similar - maybe that's the best course of action.

The trouble with bumper stickers is that it could potentially be used against you if there's an accident. Same with talking about "seeing a squirrel/dog/moose/deer/etc."

Different states have different cultures about it, too - I've heard that in places like rural parts of Texas it's common for the slower driver to pull over/off the traffic lane and let the faster drivers pass.

Basically, drive safely and mostly ignore tailgators. In my experience they usually turn off at the next big interchange, get bored and pass you, or back off within a mile or so. You'll want to keep aware of them, of course, but try not to get your back all tensed up about it - not worth the pain. (I'm working on this myself - not easy. But I'm driving legally and safely and generally within 2mph of the limit, so it isn't up to me to make them happy.)

We had a thread about this in the past: How do you handle EXTREME tailgaters?

Found this one too: Michigan Tailgators (Aggressive Driving Report Form)

I've got all sorts of creative, generally illegal (or borderline, at least not safe) ideas. I try not to indulge those fantasies too much, as it's no better for me than worrying about what the tailgator thinks of me.

roosterk0031 05-16-2017 04:17 PM

I just clean my windshield.

I had some blue food coloring that had been in the cupboard forever, I added it to the windshield washer fluid, didn't make any difference on my windshield or car, don't know if made any on theirs either.

freebeard 05-16-2017 05:11 PM

Quote:

You could do a bumper sticker that says: Warning, this vehicle stops faster than yours
I was 'truckin' along' as they say when a cop rolled up right behind me. As a matter of policy, when they position themselves there, I never look at the speedometer. ("My attention was outside the windshield, officer. Sorry. Let's go with your figure")

When he turned on his lights, I gave one blink of the right turn signal and dogged the brakes. As I rolled down the window, a cloud of rubber smoke rolled past, followed by a young officer who's lower lip was quivering. When he asked if I knew he behind me I pointed out my rear-view mirror is 2 1/2ft wide. He gave me a warning for 60 in a 55.

It all evens out, that night I was snared by a radar trap in the Newburg bypass.

redneck 05-16-2017 10:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHcemu3Llis

:p

>

Baltothewolf 05-17-2017 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopStix (Post 540673)
007 oil slick and smoke screen?

I had something like this. An electric pump hooked up to a car window sprayer, with a 1 gallon bottle of veg oil. When they get too close, a press of the button sprays their front end/windshield with veggie oil. Windshield wipers make it worse, and it forces them to pull over.

ChopStix 05-17-2017 02:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you have trouble with tailgaters, you could always break out your -

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1495002670

I'm not trolling, its just good humor! Besides if tailgaters bother you, then you should be responsible and do something to make peace in the situation. Forgive them for their dumb act. Your life and time is much more important than wasting it on anger over silly traffic drama's. Yes I know its easier said than done, but you still got to try.

Baltothewolf 05-17-2017 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChopStix (Post 540745)
If you have trouble with tailgaters, you could always break out your -

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1495002670

I'm not trolling, its just good humor! Besides if tailgaters bother you, then you should be responsible and do something to make peace in the situation. Forgive them for their dumb act. Your life and time is much more important than wasting it on anger over silly traffic drama's. Yes I know its easier said than done, but you still got to try.

Until someone merges into your lane, causing you to hit your brakes, and you get rear ended. Then you have to deal with being in constant pain for the rest of your life, because some ****ing idiot wants to do 90 in a 70.

Fingie 05-17-2017 08:51 AM

i've thought about deleting my rear wiper anyway, but leave the sprayer and turn the nozzle backwards. Let it spray some red dyed-water :D

non-sticking, of course.

gumby79 05-18-2017 12:11 PM

Had a biker frind that Carrie ball bearings in his pocket for such occasions.
Me I dropped five mile an hour increments till I get to about 45 at which point I just pull over or drop the hammer put a mile between me and them and I usually don't see thim again.
I lived near Yosemite National Park it was a grueling drive to work 12 miles climbing 3000 feet of elevation on a road that is more crooked than a snake. Could make the rout in 11mim with no trafic (most of the time) ,but when there was ... 25mph was there gift to you. Could take 45-60min. Turn outs every 1/2 mi or so. 1 out of 100 understand why this expensive extra strip of asphalt and sign telling them to use it exists.

JRMichler 05-18-2017 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjackstone (Post 540696)
In another life I might have connected a toggle switch to my reverse lights.

Back about 1971, I had a car that came without backup lights, so I added a set of J.C. Whitney backup lights. Those lights were about as bright as yard tractor headlights, and connected to a toggle switch.

I was driving at the speed limit in the right lane of a divided highway one night when somebody came up behind and tailgated closely at less than half a car length. I flipped the backup lights on and off, then checked the rear view. He was on the brakes so hard he was almost dragging his front bumper.

These days, I give them one or two flashes of the 4-way flasher. Usually that works. If it does not, I EOC until they pass.

freebeard 05-18-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

These days, I give them one or two flashes of the 4-way flasher.
That's probably the best suggetion.

Daschicken 05-18-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMichler (Post 540834)
These days, I give them one or two flashes of the 4-way flasher. Usually that works.

I've tried that, but it usually just makes the tailgater back off instead of passing. I want them to PASS, not just back off! If they are still behind me then I have to drive like a mostly sane person! :p

One interesting phenomenon I have noticed is that when I am close to or above the speed limit (limit 65, speed 62+), people will pass pretty much right away, but when I am going 55, they just stick behind me, seemingly content with going slow. Plenty of open lanes to the left, and they don't pass. I have come to the conclusion that people just honestly have no idea what to do when someone is going slower than normal. Their brain just shuts off

LittleBlackDuck 05-19-2017 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 540742)
I had something like this. An electric pump hooked up to a car window sprayer, with a 1 gallon bottle of veg oil. When they get too close, a press of the button sprays their front end/windshield with veggie oil. Windshield wipers make it worse, and it forces them to pull over.

Sounds like a recipe for a manslaughter charge to me.:confused:

redpoint5 05-19-2017 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baltothewolf (Post 540742)

Now if you could just figure out how to light it on fire...

I don't care about tailgaters though. Their illogical impatience and anger eats away at them, which is punishment enough. I'll make it a point to not even acknowledge them. I secretly want them to hit me so I can collect the insurance. Vehicles are very safe these days so there is little chance of serious injury.

On my motorcycle, I have no tolerance for tailgaters. I can stop on a dime, and the consequences of being rear ended are much higher. I'll turn around and gesture for them to back off. This is rarely problem though since my bike is the fastest thing on the road. The only time people get a chance to tailgate is when stuck in a line of cars with no opportunity to pass.

ECO-AKJ 05-19-2017 04:49 PM

I have noticed that I either get the sit on my tailgators, or the ones that pace me about 6 car lengths back

gumby79 05-19-2017 05:07 PM

"Target Fixation "
They get so focused on the danger close flowing distance that they dont even realize the lain next to them has been open.

Sometimes I'll pick up a long tail 5+ cars and every pack that passes will deposit 1 2 more till the lead figures out that there is nothing holding them back. Then the tail will dissipate as each takes there turn comeing out of autopilot. Its hard telling what it takes to shake them,. I've noticed this mainly on 3+lanes Interstate

slowmover 05-20-2017 07:51 AM

There's a pattern or two to observe. Millions of low IQ "immigrants " are stressed by driving. Things are happening too fast for them, and the ability to conceptualize potential results is beyond them (they do not -- can not -- look far down the road). So, expect tailgating for their being on the phone, drinking a forty, thru construction, and (worst of all) in bad weather. They are dependent on others to get them down the road. What is twelve feet in front of them is the comfort zone.

Test it by changing lanes on a three or more laned highway. If the road is "clear" to them, they'll speed up. Mirrors are useless to them because, again, they cannot make the translation.

Hard to shake. Slowing doesn't bother them. Especially the drunks. If one is significantly slower than other traffic, then they'll sometimes leech onto that crowd. That's a best situation.

The greater the general level of "unconsciousness" (let's call it) the greater the impulse to be part of a group. Driving in a pack. Whether handicapped by God, smart phone or legal and illegal intoxicants, tailgating isn't perceived by the actor as necessarily harmful. After all, he's got your back!

I've run about 40,000-miles this year. More than double that last year. All over the US. In a difficult to control or stop vehicle. My livelihood.

Look for patterns. Some are regional endemic (they're told to do what everyone else does, as reading for comprehension ain't gonna happen). Etc.

Same mind-set believes Interstate left lane has ROW. There is none. Only right lane. I can't tell you how often the terminally stupid cut in front of my 79,000-lb rig to "get out of the way" of someone tailgating them in the left lane (a football field length is about right to change lanes to get in front of a tractor trailer). I generally use my high beams until they're well out of the way.

Those entering an Interstate tailgating -- less than 100' feet apart -- are also operating dangerously. Illegally. Again, no ROW. Right lane traffic has about a 700' space (rough). If right lane traffic has to brake or change lanes, entering traffic is at fault. But this group -- yet again -- can't determine the "how" of it.

It's not just tailgating. That's a symptom.

You know how often I see someone correctly enter an Interstate? A few times per year.

On a 70-mph road, you need to be doing above 70 coming down that ramp. And then use brakes lightly to fit into the best spot. Which is never ahead of a big truck unless you can clear the 700' mark. As he's likeliest to be at 65 or lower, this ain't much of a challenge.

And Americans used to do it. Until the 1979-80 "fuel crisis". Since then legions of women and the benighted are now on the Interstate.

High solo passenger mpg is just a stunt. Proves exactly zero (hiding behind a spreadsheet is for pussies). Do the relative high mpg with the vehicle loaded to manufacturers rated maximum weight according to a certified scale, and there might be some bragging rights. About 10,000-miles worth. One might then be a master of any and all conditions.

Don't ever claim you can drive for economy, unless you've done that. The difference on my pickup is 2,300-lbs. I've written it as "doesn't fall below X-mpg average loaded or empty, rain or shine, day or night, traffic or no traffic, and traversing a major American city". Do likewise.

An old saying is that you can't fix stupid. Make your peace with potential results. And don't sacrifice your life for theirs. Your family needs you. Protestations to the contrary, their actions are that they care neither about their own families or themselves. (It shouldn't be stressful, is the point.)

When driving makes you tired, it's primarily because you don't know how. Not physically, emotionally or spiritually. Age, experience and total miles are not good determinants of ability, unfortunately.

But subjecting vehicle and driver to the full range of conditions internal and external to the vehicle for over 10k miles, will begin to remedy that. Begin to remedy . . . .

Tailgaters are just a short chapter in the learners exercise book.

Stubby79 05-20-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 540946)

Interesting read/view/observations. Whether or not I agree with the specifics, I appreciated the read.

wdb 05-20-2017 12:23 PM

I can't find a picture of it just now but there is a bumper sticker that reads "I'm saving money on gas so I can buy more guns". Also there is this one.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg