EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   TDI Tesla ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tdi-tesla-32049.html)

Arragonis 05-28-2015 03:38 PM

TDI Tesla ?

Don't know if anyone has seen this - Teslas being (apparently) charged by Diesel generators ?

Tesla And Its Customers Find It's Not Easy Being Green - Daily Kanban

I'm kind of reminded of the Top Gear "Hybrid"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCSNCs7bwCw

freebeard 05-28-2015 06:15 PM

I know that Top Gear story is supposed to be funny, but it just makes me sad. :(

If you follow EVTV's work on fast charging (they favor CHAdeMO over Tesla's Supercharger) you find that trying to dump 20-40 kilowatt/hr into a car in 20 minutes is akin to getting hit by a bolt of lightning.

DailyKanban's Ed Niedermeyer attended UofO, where Douglas C. Niedermeyer appeared in the movie Animal House. Related? But the part was played by Mark Metcalf.

UltArc 05-29-2015 01:01 AM

I don't get why people didn't like the Fisker Karma, or on a much more depressing note, the Volt. It seems like the smartest way to go.

jamesqf 05-29-2015 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UltArc (Post 481424)
I don't get why people didn't like the Fisker Karma, or on a much more depressing note, the Volt.

'Cause one makes the Tesla look cheap by comparison, and the other's a stodgy 4-door sedan?

Cd 05-29-2015 05:13 AM

No doubt people will use this story to make Tesla look as if their cars have to be powered by diesel generators.
The author had an agenda from the first paragraph.

The jealousy is strong with this one.

Arragonis 05-30-2015 04:37 PM

This is the first paragraph

Quote:

Tesla Motors and its customers are famously proud of their environmentally friendly image, but their anti-carbon and anti-oil sentiments are apparently not as absolute as their public statements and vanity license plates might suggest. In the course of investigating Tesla’s Harris Ranch, CA battery swap station, Daily Kanban found that Tesla’s solution to peak demand for grid-powered Superchargers that are also on-site does not involve stationary battery storage or customer battery-swapping at its only swap station. Instead, the company relies upon backup Superchargers powered by diesel generators. Moreover, several Tesla customers were observed charging from the noisy, carbon-emitting backup generator even when the standard Supercharging station had numerous plugs available. This oddly un-green charging option, foisted on customers as a result of Tesla’s lack of desire to make its battery swap capabilities widely available, in turn raises unanswered questions about the environmental claims Tesla has made about its entire charging network.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-31-2015 04:06 PM

Diesel-powered gensets being less regulated for emissions than an over-the-road Diesel engine is another point that might increase the controversy.

freebeard 05-31-2015 04:10 PM

To some, willingness to compromise is weakness; but when it come to something like natural rights, unwillingness to compromise is obstructionism.

I don't care to read the article a 2nd time; are they running biodiesel?

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-31-2015 04:19 PM

Considering that an engine powering a stationary application at a constant load has an easier thermal management than the same engine in a car, it would be rather easy to use even waste cooking grease for a further emissions neutralization.

UltArc 05-31-2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesqf (Post 481427)
'Cause one makes the Tesla look cheap by comparison, and the other's a stodgy 4-door sedan?

That doesn't answer why the systems are not as successful.

Regardless of someone's bias, or frustration, to write an article- what is the negative to the backup of the engine? Clearly there is less interest in it.

I get Tesla isn't interested, and they use their system- but how is it that a system that has less capabilities is in more demand? Not discussing price (140k vs 60k), how is it the Fisker Karma that can be plugged in or have backup up power be less successful than something that can only use electricity from a wall?

(Personally, I think it was the time this occurred to credit Fiskers failure. Tesla made an "exotic" with the roadster, making it a niche car and not so much an EV, and it then turned into a car after- vs Fisker making an EV that had backup electric but no real niche. Understanding the success and proper release of vehicles is out of my wheel house, but I don't understand why Fisker failed.)