EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   teacher being fired for ... doing his job! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/teacher-being-fired-doing-his-job-23310.html)

jalmir 09-14-2012 10:34 AM

teacher being fired for ... doing his job!

Basically, the mentioned teacher gave zero on un-submitted assignments despite the school "no-zero" policy!

To me the "no-zero" policy is insane, if a student doesn't do an assignment or an exam, the teacher is supposed to either give more time to the student or simply ignore it when calculating his grades. :eek:

the story in more details :
Zero-grade teacher contemplating retirement | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

This guy should be getting an award instead of facing termination hearings!

Gealii 09-14-2012 11:02 AM

This is insane what is a teacher supposed to do wait for assignments to be turned in all year without punishment. This is just making it worse on the kids in the real world when they grow up they'll think anything can be late as long as it is done

Diesel_Dave 09-14-2012 11:20 AM

Out in the "real world" try not doing a job for a customer and see what you get paid.

I'm guessing $0.

Saskwatchian 09-14-2012 11:21 AM

Did he give the student a zero for the class or just the assignment? I could see there being an issue if he gave a zero for the course mark.

Some assignments should receive a mark of zero though. I would loose 50% off the top of a mark for being late (even two minutes) +10% for every day after. If you don't hand anything in (even if you will get zero marks for it) your work is incomplete and you fail the class.

That is how it was for me, I was angry a few times at the "unfairness" of loosing 50% for a couple minutes but when real life came around I realized in a lot of cases if you don't get something in on time you loose 100%

Getting a zero sucks, but it is a life lesson many students need to learn. (I was one of them)

If a student can never fail, how will they ever succeed?

gone-ot 09-14-2012 11:34 AM

...it's the 'new' educational-version of the 'old' whinning kiddies (brats?) "...do overs..." when they failed on their first, second, third, fourth, etc. "attempts."

jalmir 09-14-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saskwatchian (Post 327850)
Did he give the student a zero for the class or just the assignment? I could see there being an issue if he gave a zero for the course mark.

Like I said, he gave zeros on unfinished or un-submitted assignments, not as a final note for the class!

This type of teaching (that there are no consequences to your "inaction") reflects directly on the current generation of young workers, the best example I have is my mother.

She's a co-owner of a small business and for the last year they had all the trouble in the world to replace their old receptionist. They hired a new one every few weeks for different reasons but all of them were young and didn't care about the job. Some just stopped coming to work after a few days, others would even hide in the toilet so that they wouldn't have to answer the clients!!!

They ended up hiring an older lady and the problem stopped there! (even to the point where my mom doesn't look at a C.V. if it's a younger person that came to drop it in person! That's sad because I'm sure they are not all like that!)

2000neon 09-17-2012 01:17 PM

I think the fact that late marks are as loose as they could be, but no zeros at all is ridiculous. Yes I am currently a student, third year university, if I hand something in even 5 minutes late, it is 10% off. Then another 10% per day up to 5 days, then a zero. To me, even that is beyond fair. If there were no zeros at all, What is stopping kids from rocking the first assignment, and then just giving up the rest of the course. Their final mark would consist of just one great assignment, Lol.

Smurf 09-17-2012 01:45 PM

One of my schools had a no-zero type policy. To me, that meant ace the tests and screw off the rest of the time.

I was only at that school for the second semester of 10th grade. At one point, the English teacher distributed everyone's current overall grade in the class, and with four weeks left in the school year, I had an overall 3.7% out of 100%. But because I nailed the tests, and they threw out the incompletes, I ended up passing with a 70%-something.

redyaris 09-19-2012 09:15 AM

The Teacher now has a new job at a private school where he can give zeros...

If I recal, the perpose of a mark on a school assignment is to let you know how well you learned the subjectmatter. Not giving accurate feedbake is one of the crewelest things you can do to anyone, let alone a young child, some would go so far as to call that decietfull.

on an aside

In high school I told one of my teachers that I was going to get a zero on the end of term exam, to which he said that no I would not get a zero. I walked into the exam room and wrote the subject name the date and my name at the top of the page and handed it in... he gave me 3% for speeling the subject and my name right and getting the date right...!

This was in a time and place where no one had ever heard of a no zero policy.

Gealii 09-19-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redyaris (Post 328877)
The Teacher now has a new job at a private school where he can give zeros...

If I recal, the perpose of a mark on a school assignment is to let you know how well you learned the subjectmatter. Not giving accurate feedbake is one of the crewelest things you can do to anyone, let alone a young child, some would go so far as to call that decietfull.

on an aside

In high school I told one of my teachers that I was going to get a zero on the end of term exam, to which he said that no I would not get a zero. I walked into the exam room and wrote the subject name the date and my name at the top of the page and handed it in... he gave me 3% for speeling the subject and my name right and getting the date right...!

i had a teacher like that he would give extra points for your name, but my school was allowed to give 0s and they enforced it. No child left behind so its time for summer school