EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Teenagers and electric cars (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/teenagers-electric-cars-5621.html)

bennelson 10-19-2008 09:06 PM

Teenagers and electric cars

I got back home this evening, and went to quick take care of a few things in the garage.

While I was doing that, my 18-year old, high school Senior, youngest brother pulled up in his Ford Taurus with three of his friends.

They came over to look at my "cool" electric cars!

I gave them the quick tours of the Metro and the Citicar. I think my brother, Andrew, is a whole lot more interested in the Citicar than the Metro. Seems to have more appeal as an unusual vehicle.

I took the 3 friends out for a ride in the Metro. (Andrew had been for a ride in it before anyways.) Fortunately, none of them were too heavy. The four of us plus the batteries seemed fine. I didn't have any problems with the suspension, but most of the roads by my house are pretty nice.

The one kid in particular was really interested in Eco-cars. He was saying how he really wanted to do road trips in a Prius. I have him a biz card for the Milwaukee Hybrid Group and told him to visit Ecomodder.com.

My brother asked if he could drive the Citicar to school sometime. The highschool is about 3 miles from his house. Once I get the brakes fixed, I don't see why he can't borrow it. (As long as I get insurance figured out!)

Anyways, I just thought it was great to see some younger folks interested in Electrics!

On a side note, I spoke to a high school shop teacher on Saturday who is interested in getting an EV Building club going with the students at his school. He asked if I could come visit the students sometime! I said yes!

-Ben

MetroMPG 10-19-2008 09:16 PM

That's a good response, Ben.

I haven't really shown the car to any young-uns, except my 2 nephews (8 & 10), who ride in the car once in a while. Mostly they just ask me why I'm driving so slowly.

Me: "See the light ahead? It's red. Why rush up to a red light? It's a waste of energy."

Nephew: "Everybody else does it."

Me: "Everybody else isn't thinking."

"How fast will this go?" is another often asked question from the pair of them...

Sean T. 10-19-2008 09:21 PM

LMAO! I joined this site as an 18-year old high school senior, driving a ford taurus...

Maybe it's a coincidence but there is also another member who joined as an 18-year old high school senior, driving a ford taurus.

LMAO... it's just too funny.

Oval_Overload 10-19-2008 11:58 PM

*raises hand*
17 year old; 1998 Ford Taurus

O_O

SVOboy 10-20-2008 12:24 AM

I remember being a teenager...what was I doing then? Oh yeah, starting some silly webular siteville about slow cars? :)

I don't have an EV yet though!

Ryland 10-20-2008 10:37 AM

I wanted an electric car from the time I first saw one at age 10 when I was 18 I was still using my electric bike, getting 73mpg on a 30 year old motorcycle and building my 3rd super mileage vehicle that I've never finsihed (2nd one got 245mpg), 4 years later I got my first car, a civic hatch back...

Ben, I have my comuti-car insured thru progressive, $142 per year then I get a muti vehicle discount, and a lump payment discount that brings my electric and my civic together down to around $356, if I didn't have two tickets, was older and not single I would get a better deal, they were one of the few that would insure it at all.

Christopher Jordan 10-20-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennelson (Post 68173)
I
On a side note, I spoke to a high school shop teacher on Saturday who is interested in getting an EV Building club going with the students at his school. He asked if I could come visit the students sometime! I said yes!

-Ben

I go by my old high school daily, the' 'wows' are outstanding! But when I went there my Power Mechanics class was 2 strokes versus 4 strokes- with nothing in between. Great to hear about interest! Different attitudes today.

My EL failed for the last time today, so I stuck it on Craigslist ( 3-wheel 48V (4 12Vs) City-el registered electric car ). Hopefully some high schooler can get the stupid thing to charge!