EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Tell me I'm not an ass. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tell-me-im-not-ass-4079.html)

Yaristock 07-26-2008 10:15 PM

Tell me I'm not an ass.

Here is the email I sent to Dell, It explains my problem. I feel like I have been an ass, but I also feel ripped off. Consul me please.

I recently contact support via chat. I would email this to customer support, but am still unable to get my customer number or account number. When I purchased this laptop under a year ago I felt I made a great purchase. A sleek beautiful laptop to replace my quickly aging Everex. I made the purchase just shy of $1500. Now not yet a year later; it has been cripple to a desktop. because of sub-par choice in battery. I feel I have been dupped. I had lost all hope in companies that sold computers that ran Windows. I vowed to only buy Apple when I ran across the M1330. I was warned by more than 3 people not to purchase Dell, but went ahead anyways. Now I do regret my purchase. I should have went with Apple and hoped for a better machine for the same price. I would have gladly paid their premium price for a laptop whose life expectancy is not 1yr. I will not be referring Dell to anyone who wishes to purchase a computer nor will I tell them to get a Compaq/Hp; my only reference will be to Apple. I have had nothing, but consistent problems(bad motherboard, failure of the touch mouse, battery life), and my next purchase will be an Apple. Thank you for reading my email.

Yaristock 07-26-2008 10:17 PM

I expect this type of performance for Nicl/Ion batter not Lith.

bhazard 07-26-2008 10:21 PM

I have a 1705 that I got at the end of 06. I dont know how long its been now but my power supply went to crap and the lappy dont recognize it any more, so everything is throttled back and such, and it wouldnt charge the battery. I thought the battery went to crap so I got fed up and took it apart, wrecked it.

Could prolly have a new power supply and battery for under $100 but I just havent gotten around to it.

Yaristock 07-26-2008 10:23 PM

My battery is $154. For that much it had better last longer

BlackDeuceCoupe 07-27-2008 01:38 AM

Sorry, but it sounds like you ARE an ass!

Probably left your battery on charge every time you used wall current...

Probably thought Dell gives a damn about your implied threats...

When you get a new li-ion battery, be smart this time, instead of being an ass, and remove your battery when you don't need it! Run a UPS instead!

That said, the M1330 is the worst lappy Dell ever made (of course they don't make ANY computers, but that's a separate story) but the marketing was GREAT!

That's Dell's fault, not yours...

Sooo... you're an ass and a sucker!

Sorry if I sound rude, but YOU asked - and I don't *feel* like beating around the bush tonight!

I hope you made a better choice in vehicles - didn't look at what you drive before typing this... :cool:

EDIT

Oops... you bought a Yaris - the Toyota equivalent of a Dell M1330. Good luck in life - you need it!!! I wish you all the best...

justpassntime 07-27-2008 02:50 AM

Yup your an ass for not listening to the three people that told you not to buy it. Other than that you better ask your wife, she's always right.:D

BlackDeuceCoupe 07-27-2008 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justpassntime (Post 48031)
Other than that you better ask your wife, she's always right.:D

In the defense of women...

Women just want two things in life...
  1. To always have things go their way.
  2. To make their own decisions.

I don't see HIS choice of lappys as being paramount in the scheme of things!

I don't know if someone elses' poor decisions makes any differerence to women, except in so far as it affects them...

For the most part, they just want some 'breathing room', albeit it, choking you in the process! :cool:

BlackDeuceCoupe 07-27-2008 03:16 AM

Um...

Speaking of vicious predators - are there any chicks on this site?

I haven't seen any...

cfg83 07-27-2008 03:40 AM

Yaristock -

I come from the world of low expectations. I don't expect Dell or any PC manufacturer to come through for me. I know I am a battery destroyer because I don't have the time to spend on carefully maintaining the health of the battery.

That said, I had a Dell Inspiron 8200 work fine for me since 2002. Yes, its battery got wimpy after a year, but a plug has always been within reach (most indie coffee joints have them). I even doubled the number of batteries for awhile because the PC had that option. It's only real fault in the last year+ has been a failing screen that is probably a worn out video cable (works fine when I output to external CRT). Right now I am typing on a Dell Latitude D630. Too early to know if there will problems (presently knocking on virtual wood).

Until recently, if I had a choice, I would have looked into AlienWare, but now Dell owns them too, so I am not optimistic about the quality of their product in the future, :( .

I'll be happy to switch to a Mac (aka Unix) when they own 51% of the market.

CarloSW2

BlackDeuceCoupe 07-27-2008 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 48045)
Yaristock -

I come from the world of low expectations. I don't expect Dell or any PC manufacturer to come through for me. I know I am a battery destroyer because I don't have the time to spend on carefully maintaining the health of the battery.

That said, I had a Dell Inspiron 8200 work fine for me since 2002. Yes, its battery got wimpy after a year, but a plug has always been within reach (most indie coffee joints have them). I even doubled the number of batteries for awhile because the PC had that option. It's only real fault in the last year+ has been a failing screen that is probably a worn out video cable (works fine when I output to external CRT). Right now I am typing on a Dell Latitude D630. Too early to know if there will problems (presently knocking on virtual wood).

Until recently, if I had a choice, I would have looked into AlienWare, but now Dell owns them too, so I am not optimistic about the quality of their product in the future, :( .

I'll be happy to switch to a Mac (aka Unix) when they own 51% of the market.

CarloSW2

The 'problem' with Li-ion batteries is they'll only charge X-amount of times - like 200-300 times. So, while it's butch to claim you're tough on batteries, the fact is, most ppl needlessly murder them by leaving them on the wall charger ALL the time!

My 18-month old Toshiba battery works like brand new! Only used/charged it, like, 20-30 times since I've owned it! Like you implied - there's a 120 jack on every wall in America. Why waste your battery?!?!?

On expectations - don't worry too much about your D630 - those things are tanks! ;)

The M1330 is a metrosexual toy, kinda like the Yaris...

BTW, Dell doesn't make anything! 90% of all lappys (soon to be 100%) are made by 7-8 factories in China these days. All they do is slap Dell (or whomsoever) logo on them!

Ophbalance 07-27-2008 08:21 AM

The first battery in my 1501 failed in under a year. I would throw an error on POST that "the battery is no longer recognized and will no longer charge". I called support, and they had me walk through a script. After they were satisfied that the battery was at fault, a new battery was at my door two days later. I've never had issues getting my Dells fixed under warranty.

groar 07-27-2008 10:30 AM

Nowadays the default battery is just "consumable" (I don't know if this is the correct English term), as printer cartridges per example.

Each time you empty the battery, you make the battery to die : the next charge will not fill the battery as much as the previous one.
I hope the charging system from dell stops charging the battery when it's full...

I bought a 9 cells battery and I avoid to empty it under 50%.
I use Linux with a tick-less kernel and I optimize the system with powertop. I don't know if something like that exists for Windows.
On all systems, lowering the back-light will lower electric consumption and so the impact on the battery; but don't lower your comfort, your eyes depend on it.

Denis.

Yaristock 07-27-2008 10:50 AM

The laptop is great it does need another gig of ram to speed up a lil but overall pretty good. Dell won't replace it under warranty. When I asked the tech for spec on the battery such as how many deep cycles till the life expectancy is over, if it has a charge memory, and who the supplier was. he simply did not know and did not look. You can take a shot at my choices in life I love my Yaris, it will be the last gas powered vehicle I own. Atleast I didn't pay a premium price for a Honda even used you pay for the H, but thats another arguement Why would you remove the battery? To expose the connectors to dust? Possibilities of losing it? Most people are under the assumption that the charger is smart and stops charging once the battery is full. I don't have a wife and never will, women never interested me in life.

edit: Yaris must be good because unlike the Fit people keep buying them.

lovemysan 07-27-2008 01:41 PM

I don't think your letter was all that harsh. I don't blame you for writing it. I couldn't care less what you drive or what if your laptop is "sweet". Actually if I was writing it I would have put extra sauce on it. I don't think it'll do any good though. BTW, I like the yaris. I think the fit, aveo, and versa are a pile of posers!

Yaristock 07-27-2008 02:49 PM

I'm not usually as crude as that in emails, but those 3 previous people told me the only way Dell will positively respond to something like that is abuse. I would have much preferred to explain my side and they in turn as good faith replace the battery. I tried and it didn't work so I resorted to that. One of those 3 people used to work for Dell as a customer service rep in 2003. All in all I will be receiving a new battery of which a tech has probably pi$$ed on. The one that used to work for Dell told me to be harsher; she said that the more you complain they will throw in 'complimentary' items; I don't like using business like that. I still hate that they will note quote a generic deep cycle time frame like 200-300 or what.

BlackDeuceCoupe 07-27-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitaldissent (Post 48148)
"The M1330 is a metrosexual toy, kinda like the Yaris..."

what?! you must be joking right?

Yes!

I'm joking, of course!

He said he doesn't like girls... Hello!?!?! :rolleyes:

How about you two get together?

MetroMPG 07-27-2008 10:32 PM

Hi... the OP asked me to close the thread since the original issue has been resolved.

For those wishing to continue debating the merits of the Yaris vs. the Civic HX, you can do so here: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...bate-4100.html