EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Temporary side skirts? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/temporary-side-skirts-3769.html)

atomicradish 07-13-2008 09:08 PM

Temporary side skirts?

I'm looking for a design for temporary side skirts, but I can't find one. I'd like to make something that don't require bolts and would be easily removable.

I made some cardboard cut outs for my old Metro (till it died) a year or so ago, and they worked out fine until it rained. Then they started to rub up against the tires.

I just need something I can easily apply for a long trip, and then remove once I arrive at my destination. Same thing for an airdam...

whokilledthejams 07-13-2008 09:44 PM

If I could find the name of it, I'd recommend the 3M product that EZPass gives you to affix the tag to your windshield. It's sort of velcro-like, in that the two sides physically grip each other. They're a semi-hard plastic with tiny little light bulb-shaped prongs that grip each other, and both sides are identical. I figured a while ago that it would be a great way to affix wheel skirts, but I don't want to arouse suspicions by requesting samples to affix a dozen EZPass tags for the two vehicles on my account.

Modena1232 07-13-2008 11:18 PM

Lowes carries "industrial strength" velcro thats pretty much the same thing or possibly even design, check it out

meemooer 07-13-2008 11:20 PM

hook and loop material? it is essentially velcro[brand name] but thats the term for it.

justpassntime 07-14-2008 01:25 AM

This is great stuff...

Quote:

Originally Posted by whokilledthejams (Post 43683)
If I could find the name of it, I'd recommend the 3M product that EZPass gives you to affix the tag to your windshield. It's sort of velcro-like, in that the two sides physically grip each other. They're a semi-hard plastic with tiny little light bulb-shaped prongs that grip each other, and both sides are identical. I figured a while ago that it would be a great way to affix wheel skirts, but I don't want to arouse suspicions by requesting samples to affix a dozen EZPass tags for the two vehicles on my account.

I found mine at Target. It's hard to find but it will absolutely hold nearly anything. I found it years ago at Kmart. I have looked ever since and finally found it at Target in the hardware section. If you find it grab a bunch. It's likely the next time you want it you will hunt for it forever. If you ask for it everyone will think you are crazy.

All that is on the package is Scotch 3M Reclosable Fasteners part# RF9730 UPC# (bar code) is 0 51131 64284 3

3M RF9730 RECLOSE FASTENER CL

MetroMPG 07-21-2008 07:19 PM

I had version 1.0 of my plastic skirts velcro'd on the car. The problem was the adhesive I used to attach the velcro halves was weaker than the velcro grip. So first time I removed the skirts...

I went back to duct tape after that for a long time, until re-doing the skirts with brackets and screws this summer.

adrive7 07-21-2008 07:58 PM

How about something like this? Spring type plunger. Drill a couple small holes to receive the plunger and on-and-off takes 2 seconds.

http://www.mcmaster.com/library/20070307/8478A100L.GIF

There are bigger versions, parts 847A1-8

mcrews 07-01-2011 10:08 PM

take a look at the attachment on my:

ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/skirts-beast-16970.html

or the thrid link in my signature box

NeilBlanchard 07-02-2011 05:42 PM

I've been quite happy with 3M transparent Duct tape:

Amazon.com: Scotch Transparent Duct Tape, 2 Inches x 20 Yards, Clear (2120-A): Home Improvement

Scotch(R) Automotive Transparent Duct Tape, 03451ES, 1.88 in x15 yd, 12/cs

It has "temporarily" worked for almost 3 years...

Joenavy85 07-02-2011 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whokilledthejams (Post 43683)

IIRC it's called "Dualock"