EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Terrible GMC commercial (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/terrible-gmc-commercial-40722.html)

larrybuck 01-18-2023 03:18 PM

Terrible GMC commercial

So has anybody else been repelled by this horrible joke of a commercial? We've all heard of the idiotic Tesla debacles, for all the idiots have crashed. Sitting there clapping their hands, making light of any serious driving just ticks me off! Your thoughts?

redpoint5 01-18-2023 03:39 PM

Your link didn't show up in your post.

I don't encounter ads often, but just last night I was commenting that if I were an ad agency, I would refuse customers that want me to make a painfully boring or stupid ad. I would only make ads that don't suck.

freebeard 01-18-2023 04:06 PM

Quote:

if I were an ad agency, I would refuse customers that want me to make a painfully boring or stupid ad.
Did you get any push back?

Were you an ad agency you'd be on the low road already. And you'd lose out to those that cater to the basest instincts of their target audience.

I've switched OSes and now every Youtube video is interrupted by advertising that is a jump scare into a video game or some absurdest skit that never gets past Skip Ads.

redpoint5 01-18-2023 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 679361)
Were you an ad agency you'd be on the low road already. And you'd lose out to those that cater to the basest instincts of their target audience.

Which is precisely why I'm completely uninterested in advertising, or any sales position for that matter. I like everyone I meet, but salespeople are my least favorite.

When I watch advertisements from the 50s, they talk about how much power the car has, the type of transmission and number of gears... nowadays we don't even get a photo of the car being sold, but instead an animation of those cars dancing to music with zero words spoken or written.

Advertisers don't even pretend you're not an idiot these days. They say "hey idiot, look at this and then give me your money", and then we do.

Isaac Zachary 01-18-2023 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 679362)
When I watch advertisements from the 50s, they talk about how much power the car has, the type of transmission and number of gears... nowadays we don't even get a photo of the car being sold, but instead an animation of those cars dancing to music with zero words spoken or written.

The car enthusiast of today is not at all the car enthusiast of yesterday. People want big screens, big space and the vehicle to drive like a Formula 1 racer.

If you want the nitty gritty stuff today you need to find a YouTuber who has the money and interest in tearing apart these new cars to show you how they tick.

Me- How many poles, windings, magnets, etc, does a Tesla have? What is its gear ratio? At what frequency does the motor controller modulate the motor curent, and via what kind of transistors?

Tesla owner- What? My car is fast!

Quote:

Advertisers don't even pretend you're not an idiot these days. They say "hey idiot, look at this and then give me your money", and then we do.
Exactly! Unless they advertise to me, which usually turns me off and makes me want to move to some third world country and live off of $2 per day.

Cd 01-19-2023 05:12 AM

I'll walk into the break room at work. They always have the TV blaring.
" It's TRUCK MONTH* !!! " " Now get $10,000 off MSRP !" - to which I look up and think " If they are taking off $ 10,000 on a truck, just how much is that thing ?
I remember when a brand new truck was under $ 5, 000.
I also remember when a truck was a tool for towing things, and not a disco on wheels game console with a Cadillac badge on the grille.
( And one that is afraid of dirt on their wheels ! )

* It's also truck month next month. And the month after that too.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 01-20-2023 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 679360)
I would only make ads that don't suck

Nowadays it's quite a challenge to find any ad that doesn't suck, at all. Many ads promoting some woke BS instead of featuring whichever product should've been actually advertised, quite as if the sponsor of the ad was apologizing for its own business or for previous ads which didn't suck yet are now bashed by the wokes who try to rewrite history...