EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Tesla is the largest US automaker in history (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tesla-largest-us-automaker-history-38090.html)

Xist 01-08-2020 08:53 PM

Tesla is the largest US automaker in history

Ford set the previous record in 1999 being worth 80 billion. Tesla is now worth 85 billion. The article says that Tesla is still dwarfed by international companies like Volkswagen ($98B) and Toyota ($232B).

Is that just Volkswagen, not all of the brands that they own? I recently saw that they might be the world's largest vehicle manufacturer.

I think that was including commercial trucks.

That was from a video talking about Volkswagen pushing electric vehicles. Since they are so big, this will make a significant difference.

GM is worth $50B, Ford is worth $37B and Fiat Chrysler is worth $22B, so Tesla is worth ore than GM and F-C combined.

Sales in Asia will undoubtedly help Tesla a fair amount.

Tesla is now the highest-valued automaker in US history (TSLA)

Hersbird 01-08-2020 09:32 PM

Although to be fair 80 billion in 1999 is 123 billion today. Toyota is just amazing as they just passed GM in sales 21 years ago but they probably passed them in value before that.

I don't know exactly how these numbers work, must be stock price? But having a value of about $90,000 per car you have sold in your history seems both good and bad. Obviously it's based on future betting, but there is something to say for Ford bringing in 160 billion a year in actual revenue even if their stocks are worth less.

ME_Andy 01-09-2020 12:22 AM

To me, it seems like Toyota's market cap is ridiculous compared to the other automakers.

I'm kind of tempted to buy some Ford stock because it pays a 6.5% dividend but not tempted enough to actually do it.

I sold my Tesla shares awhile ago, making 35%. If I had held on until today, it would have been more like 60%. C'est la vie.

ME_Andy 01-09-2020 12:23 AM

The reason I won't buy Ford is that the Cybertruck is a massive threat to Ford's bread and butter, IMO.

HaroldinCR 01-09-2020 09:27 AM

How can one compare actually sold to customers (Tesla) than sitting on lots (Big manufacturers) forced by manufacturers to sell, OR, the left overs are sent off to never never land and costs are added on to the new years models.

There are videos on youtube, yeah ? showing thousands of new cars sitting on acres of land, out in the boonies.

Hersbird 01-09-2020 11:29 AM

I look out my window right this minute and see thousands of actually sold to customer cars and not a single Tesla.

roflwaffle 01-09-2020 03:47 PM

BI is so disingenuous. Even if Tesla does have the highest market value of any US automaker, although even in that case I'm not sure if that's in real or nominal dollars, their total enterprise value is still below Ford and GM because a lot of the value of other companies is outside of equities.

https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors...uation_people/

A big chunk of Tesla's equity value is speculative too. Just watch what happens to that value is they can't maintain positive operating margins going forward.

On the flip side, if they consistently maintain positive operating margins I imagine their equity value will increase significantly, less whatever dilution there is from them issuing new equities.

ldjessee00 01-09-2020 04:01 PM

I was going to say any company can fail, old or new, but the US government has already proven me wrong there...

Which, if those companies that took government bail out money had not had it and they had failed, with so many autoworkers in the market and less competition for startups, would there be MORE auto startups pushing EVs today? Or would it have destroyed the US economy like so many feared and there would not be any auto startups today?

redpoint5 01-10-2020 12:27 AM

The market is saturated with automotive brands. Just look on the highway and notice the hundreds of different models out there. Automotive brands will continue to consolidate as they are increasingly seen as a commodity. Millennials and younger have much less interest in vehicles.

Autonomous driving will shrink new vehicle sales to 1/10th the current volume.

freebeard 01-23-2020 04:15 PM

Market valuation is a goal, Tesla is more about process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpd0Iq2NhU

edit:
Check out the Super Bottle

Hersbird 01-23-2020 05:50 PM

The title of this thread is misleading. Nobody says they are the largest. They are the most valuable. That is because of the stock price, and a stock price is just a reflection of what someone is willing to pay for a price of the pie and what someone else is willing to sell their peice of the pie. So you have a bunch of people who don't want to sell no matter what the price and others who want to get in. I personally would sell if I had them at this price, but I wasn't smart enough to buy any back when the price was a reflection of the assets of the company. After all the tech crash I'm not interested in buying into companies not backed by assets or actual sales figures.

redpoint5 01-23-2020 06:02 PM

The problem is that the market isn't rational, or at least not in a way that can be distilled into actionable buy/sell actions. It's also a zero sum game, because nothing of value is being created.

I told a friend to sell their BitCoin back when it had "peaked" at $70. Seems like bad advice in retrospect after it hit $14k or so.

Evaluating the worth of a company based on stock value doesn't seem reasonable. If everyone wanted to cash out their Tesla stock at the same time, the value would approach zero since the supply of stock would be huge, and the demand small.

I'll consider Tesla the largest automotive company when it delivers the most units in a year, or at least has the largest gross revenue from sales.

freebeard 01-23-2020 06:43 PM

Did you watch the video?

Back in the 1920s Buckminster Fuller said the machine that makes the machine is paramount. Elon Musk has instantiated that philosophy.

The legacy automobile industry will never catch up.

Xist 01-23-2020 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 615912)
Nobody says they are the largest.

You sit on a throne of lies!https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1579826019

Do I need to relink the article that made that claim or can you handle that on your own?

freebeard 01-23-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

You sit on a throne of lies!
You're arguing about words!

Xist 01-23-2020 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You want us to argue about flatus emissions?!https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1579829373

Hersbird 01-24-2020 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 615917)
You sit on a throne of lies!https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1579826019

Do I need to relink the article that made that claim or can you handle that on your own?

I hope you are joking. Most valuable does not equal largest.

Xist 01-24-2020 11:17 AM

I admire the dexterity required to spit hairs so fine.

freebeard 01-24-2020 12:46 PM

Quote:

Now you are disrespecting words. ??

Fat Charlie 01-24-2020 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 615958)

I've got friends in Manhattan. My house is much larger than their apartment. Their apartment, on the other hand, has a much higher market value than my house. No one would say that their apartment is larger than my house, though, or accuse me of splitting hairs. Why the difference when comparing companies?

freebeard 01-24-2020 07:08 PM

The hair on on a horse that is dead and badly beaten.

Tesla is the only manufacturer (excepting Arcimoto) that has any future. Fight me.

Xist 01-24-2020 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 615968)
Now you are disrespecting words. ??

Why not? What are they going to do about it? Hurt me?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 615985)
Fight me.

Why, what did you say about my mom?

redpoint5 01-24-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 615987)
Why, what did you say about my mom?

...she goes to college.

freebeard 01-24-2020 08:44 PM

Quote:

"Tesla is the only manufacturer that has any future."
What this has to do with that you will have to explain.

Xist 01-24-2020 09:49 PM

I do not know why you are telling me to fight you. Tell TAHOE INBRED: "GM is dead, it just doesn't know it yet."

redpoint5 01-24-2020 10:26 PM

GM will fair ok in the consolidation. The real money won't be in car manufacturing, but automation. GM is well positioned on that frontier; perhaps better than Tesla by some reckoning.

freebeard 01-24-2020 10:26 PM

[sigh]
Quote:

Fight Me IRL | Know Your Meme
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/fight-me-irl
Meme Status Submission Year 2010 Origin Unknown Tags fight me, fite me, irl, internet though guy, 1v1 me Additional References Reddit Twitter Urban Dictionary About "Fight Me IRL", often intentionally misspelled as "Fite Me IRL", is a phrase used as a response to threatening responses or to express disagreement with someone else's opinions.
You do realize it wasn't me that brought up your mom?

And where do you get this license to disrespect words simply because they can't fight back?

(he says with his words)

GM is a loan company that makes Chevrolets.

Xist 01-25-2020 12:32 AM

I'll explain and I'll use small words so you'll be sure to understand. Why would I fight you due to random comments about automakers?

I wouldn't. That is stupid.

Why would I fight you due to random comments about my mother?

I wouldn't. That is stupid--but someone would.

Clearly if you wanted to fight me, you would need to say something about my mother, not carmakers, but only in some alternate reality.

Savvy?

freebeard 01-25-2020 01:57 AM

Quote:

I'll explain and I'll use small words so you'll be sure to understand. Why would I fight you due to random comments about automakers? [snip] Savvy?
It's a figure of speech.
Quote:

Figure of speech
A figure of speech or rhetorical figure is an intentional deviation from ordinary language, chosen to produce a rhetorical effect. Figures of speech are traditionally classified into schemes, which vary the ordinary sequence or pattern of words, and tropes, where words are made to carry a meaning other than what they ordinarily signify.Wikipedia

Hersbird 01-25-2020 07:50 AM

Actually GM, Ford, and Chrylser are all heath health care companies.

RedDevil 01-25-2020 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird (Post 616008)

Heath died in 2008 and so almost did Big Auto. They're on life support now.

freebeard 01-25-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hersbird
Heath died in 2008 and so almost did Big Auto. They're on life support now.

Good editorial eye. I missed it.

Hersbird 01-25-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 616019)
Good editorial eye. I missed it.

Funny, apparently my spell check has gone to the shotgun approach at fixing what my fat thumbs are inputting on my phone.

Xist 01-25-2020 05:06 PM

Dad used to say that he didn't need to know how to spell, he had spellcheck.

Imagine getting wrong, but correctly-spelled, words for "shirt" and "public."

freebeard 01-25-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

Imagine getting wrong, but correctly-spelled, words for "shirt" and "public."
"B_i_t_c_h_u_t_e" is a cromulent word, but Alphabet/Google/Ecomodder disrespect it. Try it and see!

oil pan 4 01-26-2020 08:41 AM

Just think if the big 5 auto manufacturers would have gotten off their asses and made decent electric vehicles and never allowed tesla to get their foot in the door the 3.5% fuel economy mandate would mean nothing to them.
GM definitely had the technology back around 2006-2008 but just decided not to use it.
Nissan definitely had the technology but decided to put out a cheaper dumbed down version of it. Nissan actually has a liquid cooled pack that goes into their little electric work van.

redpoint5 01-26-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 616064)
Just think if the big 5 auto manufacturers would have gotten off their asses and made decent electric vehicles and never allowed tesla to get their foot in the door the 3.5% fuel economy mandate would mean nothing to them.
GM definitely had the technology back around 2006-2008 but just decided not to use it.
Nissan definitely had the technology but decided to put out a cheaper dumbed down version of it. Nissan actually has a liquid cooled pack that goes into their little electric work van.

That time-frame was too soon for lithium-ion technology, plus it takes a good 5 years to respond to drastic changes such as high fuel prices and the crashing economy.

Even with a $7,500+ government subsidy, EVs aren't selling like hotcakes. They need to get better, and our perception of what we need in a daily commuter needs to get more realistic. Plus, people are bad/intimidated of math.

Xist 01-26-2020 05:08 PM

Humanity is doomed as long as people think that $60,000 pickups are ideal for commuting.

Fat Charlie 01-26-2020 06:28 PM

Idiots who pay $60k for a pickup support a lot of jobs, so there's a positive. The other major positive is that a $60k pickup is a major red flag for antisocial behavior and low IQ.

freebeard 01-26-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

The other major positive is that a $60k pickup is a major red flag for antisocial behavior and low IQ.
They're commies? How is that a positive?