EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Tesla Roadster upgrade: Drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tesla-roadster-upgrade-drive-roadster-3-0-over-30768.html)

nemo 12-27-2014 12:53 PM

Tesla Roadster upgrade: Drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles

Quote:

Combining all of these improvements we can achieve a predicted 40-50% improvement on range
Areas of improvement
1. Batteries
2. Aerodynamics
3. Rolling Resistance

Roadster 3.0 | Blog | Tesla Motors

I guess you can do these things on expensive cars. Would be interesting if all car companies offered upgrades to existing cars.

NeilBlanchard 12-27-2014 01:54 PM

I am curious to see the aerodynamic improvements (Cd 0.36 down to 0.31), and how they increased the battery capacity.

Cobb 12-27-2014 02:11 PM

Its interesting they would make such an announcement with no photos, specs, prices or date of availability. :eek:

nemo 12-27-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard (Post 461460)
I am curious to see the aerodynamic improvements, and how they increased the battery capacity.

Yes, it will be interesting to see what changes to aerodynamics they will make for a 15% improvement. That is no small change. Boattail? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 461461)
Its interesting they would make such an announcement with no photos, specs, prices or date of availability. :eek:

Marketing. Create the demand first.

Goldenstate 12-27-2014 05:52 PM

It will also be interesting to see what they have done to the wheel bearings. Perhaps they included the new ceramic technology to kick things up a notch.

Cobb 12-27-2014 08:03 PM

When I used a wheelchair to get around it turned out they used crap bearings for stock builds. To get it easier to push you had to upgrade to precision bearings and others were pushing bearings made of bone. I lucked out and found roller blade bearings were precision and fit the castors as well as the big wheels in the rear. I would buy a pack of razor wheels to use for castors indoors and changed them frequently to keep it looking nice and rolling well.

Now that I think of it I even attached a bike meter to measure speed and miles traveled. If I had kept a diet log I could do some Miles Per Gut measurements. :thumbup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenstate (Post 461488)
It will also be interesting to see what they have done to the wheel bearings. Perhaps they included the new ceramic technology to kick things up a notch.

dirtydave 12-28-2014 06:50 AM

boattail, moons, wheel skirts, mirror delete!

awcook 12-28-2014 07:39 PM

While I may not be an expert on aerodynamics, I do think that Tesla can get the Cd from .36 to .31 quite easily without going into boattails. Remember that these guys have access to all sorts of resources that us commonfolk can't get (might be an exaggeration, but still) like engineers and lighter materials. .36 Cd is fairly high, so it shouldn't be too hard to drop it 15% since it is already pretty high. Just look at Metro's 15 mods for 15% improvement and you will see that it is pretty simple to get improvement from a stock car.

I reckon that they will add an air dam, smooth the underbelly, add tire spats, and maybe get a new spoiler on that thing.

Piotrsko 01-02-2015 10:01 AM

they could change the set points on the battery for "extra free" battery capacity. On my Volt pack, I got 2 EXTRA Kwh going from Chevy's 380 end charge to my 398 v end charge. I can also go a wee bit on the other end if I feel daring, or got stoopid driving home.

Not like they have no experience or data points available on their battery warranties.

Daox 01-02-2015 10:10 AM

Those two extra kWh are going to cost you in battery life. There is a reason that Chevy charges to what they charge to. Packing that last bit in degrades battery life.

gone-ot 01-02-2015 01:52 PM

FWIW, Toyota also *limits* battery recharging to roughly 80% of maximum so as to prolong the batteries overall life.

Piotrsko 01-08-2015 06:59 PM

Are they actually prolonging battery life / cycles, OR are they preventing premature battery pack replacements? the studies I have seen suggest that laboratory life is much longer even at "elevated" charge levels

redpoint5 01-09-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 462886)
Are they actually prolonging battery life / cycles, OR are they preventing premature battery pack replacements?

One affects the other, so it isn't an OR proposition, but an AND.

By not charging to 100%, you are prolonging battery life AND preventing premature battery pack replacement.

Lab conditions are controlled, and the real world throws many more variables into the mix that likely reduce the longevity of any part.

nemo 02-28-2015 08:41 AM

Road Test not 400 miles

Quote:

Tesla has been able to improve driving range by about 40 to 50% on the Roadster over the official 245 mile EPA-rated range.
Tesla Roadster 3.0 Prototype Goes 340 Miles On One Charge - Gas 2

Nothing about aerodynamics, just the battery pack.