EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Teslas battery replacement every 100,000 miles? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/teslas-battery-replacement-every-100-000-miles-39696.html)

Isaac Zachary 09-16-2021 10:10 PM

Teslas battery replacement every 100,000 miles?

Maybe I didn't understand this. But this Rich Rebuilds says at about 2:25 that a 100,000 mile Tesla will most likely already have the battery replaced once and the drive unit two or three times.

On the other hand there have been people saying the battery should last as long, or longer, than an ICE.

Any idea as to what the discrepancy is about, or is it flat out Telsa hate or something?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89K28XB-Y-Y&t=732s

rmay635703 09-16-2021 11:14 PM

It’s amazing how outdated information about what is now an antique car gets passed around as relavent to current car buyers

There was indeed a series of what would be considered 1st generation Tesla’s that got the drive unit swapped in some cases multiple times. But going on 8+ years since the issue was resolved is rather disengenious

I am no Tesla fan but he is mostly wrong except for a band of specific elderly Tesla’s

Are Tesla’s rock solid ? Nope

But his talk like it’s EVERY Tesla is a little much, maybe he lost money trying to short TSLA and got burned?

I’ve never much cared for him or engineering explained due to their propensity to become miopic on very narrow aspects of a topic that are irrelevant to me drawing a false conclusion by placing more importance on a single element of the design than it deserves.

I’ve noted both to drone on about things that are blatantly obvious to anyone, understood by every buyer and for me not an important limitation, they spend a half hour on an obvious limitation I accept as OK then conclude it’s a failure due to a limitation In fine with.
But normally they don’t just exaggerate (at best) lie (worst) about a subject
Must just be click bait for the uniformed or genuine rage like we see in every public topic on Facebook

———-/////
Thinking further his comments may be similar to what happens when someone wants to buy a 100,000 mile plus Prius or Volt and ask the forum.

They are told DONT do it because even if you most likely won’t have to replace anything, if you do nobody works on it and the price they will charge will be a car totaling event similar to replacing a transmission on a RAV4.

Good thing older cars like the Volt and Prius have the software and hardware fully roc’s and hacked for diy replacement/ repair or even modification

JSH 09-16-2021 11:37 PM

Tesla Battery Warranties (for 70% capacity)
  • 8 years / 150,000 miles - Model S & X
  • 8 years / 120,000 miles - Model Y, Model 3 Long Range & Performance
  • 8 years / 100,000 miles - Model 3 Standard Range

For some reason a lot of people confuse battery warranty with battery lifetime.

Isaac Zachary 09-16-2021 11:38 PM

Rich Rebuilds does seem a bit dogmatic. But I never thought of Engineering Explained as exaggerating or lying.

I did try to accept the limitations of an EV once. And although I can't say we hated the car, I doubt we'd ever do something like that ever again. Not that I'm closed to owning an EV ever again, but more of against getting one as a renter, as an only car, in the middle of the Rockies and with a range of 70 miles on good weather.

Teslas look like a good car, but I'm not convinced yet personally.

As an older Prius owner I do get why Prius forums will caution against getting one for the average buyer. I'd want to know what the buyer really wants, what she or he's capable of and what resources she/he has before suggesting he/she buys an older Prius.

Isaac Zachary 09-16-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 655886)
Tesla Battery Warranties (for 70% capacity)
  • 8 years / 150,000 miles - Model S & X
  • 8 years / 120,000 miles - Model Y, Model 3 Long Range & Performance
  • 8 years / 100,000 miles - Model 3 Standard Range

For some reason a lot of people confuse battery warranty with battery lifetime.

If the battery needs to be replaced often, I do see the warranty as being a battery life indicator. If it doesn't, like with a typical engine, it doesn't really matter.

I'm sure that someone will chime in and say they can get by with an EV with a 30 mile range and make that out-of-warranty battery last for years to come. But then there are those of us that kind of need that +200 miles of range.

freebeard 09-17-2021 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary
I did try to accept the limitations of an EV once. And although I can't say we hated the car, I doubt we'd ever do something like that ever again.

Solar/electric.

I don't know the whole list, but Aptera, Lightyear One and Xbus are on there. With a Xbus, one could disappear up some fire road.

Isaac Zachary 09-17-2021 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 655893)
Solar/electric.

I don't know the whole list, but Aptera, Lightyear One and Xbus are on there. With a Xbus, one could disappear up some fire road.

When we had the Leaf it did occur to me that solar power could work for an EV for portable charging, at least in a sunny state like Colorado during the summer months.

On a lot of trips we'd spend our day hours at level 2 chargers whenever possible. As my car sat there in the sun charging it always seemed like it would be more advantageous at times to have a large, foldable solar array that sits so the car. Given the weight to power rate of PV cells, they do make sense to a degree.

But a plug-in hybrid would make more sense for those times electricity in any shape or form isn't enough.

freebeard 09-17-2021 02:36 AM

Quote:

But a plug-in hybrid would make more sense for those times electricity in any shape or form isn't enough.
More sense than what? That stuff they pump out of underground tanks with electricity? :)

I can imagine a lifestyle that doesn't require moving any faster than the weather permits. I just don't know how to get from this local maxima to that one. I like the Xbus for that boxy nose that maximizes the solar array. Comes in high or low stance, multiple fungible bodystyles, and multiple battery options including swappable. Leather or Alcantra?

Isaac Zachary 09-17-2021 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 655899)
More sense than what? That stuff they pump out of underground tanks with electricity? :)

Whatever makes the most sense for a father and husband that lives over 200 miles from the big city, 600 miles from the in-laws and has been stranded 30 miles from anywhere in a -13⁰F snow storm with the wife in an EV that didn't make it even half of what it did in the summer.

I do like the idea of taking our time to travel and stopping to smell the flowers along the way.

redpoint5 09-17-2021 06:56 AM

I like the idea of having the option to stop and smell the flowers, not the imposition to do so.

People on the Bolt forum like to put slow charging in the list of positive attributes because one gets to smell the flowers. Hogwash, that means walking is superior to an EV because it's even slower. The point of vehicles is that they make travel faster.

I couldn't come out with a new airplane and tell the airlines they are gonna love it because it goes slower and has a fraction of the range of their current ones.

Owning a VW is great because it gives one the opportunity to learn how to disassemble their entire vehicle just to change spark plugs, and experience using non-standard tools.