EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   Tesla's new roadster will deliver 'hardcore smackdown' to gasoline cars: (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/teslas-new-roadster-will-deliver-hardcore-smackdown-gasoline-35838.html)

redneck 11-17-2017 07:55 AM

Tesla's new roadster will deliver 'hardcore smackdown' to gasoline cars:

1 Attachment(s)
http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1510932403

Tesla's new roadster will deliver 'hardcore smackdown' to gasoline cars:

Tesla's new roadster will deliver 'hardcore smackdown' to gasoline cars: Musk | Fox News

Quote:

Telsa unveiled a $200,000 roadster on Thursday the company claims will be the fastest production assembly vehicle ever, with the capability of reaching 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds.

Elon Musk, the company’s CEO, told the crowd in Hawthorne, Calif., that the four-passenger car has a removable glass roof and can travel 600 miles on a single charge, Reuters reported.
Quote:

Musk also introduced the company’s new electric semitractor-trailer. Musk said customers can put $5,000 down now but production will begin in 2019. The semi will be capable hauling 80,000 pounds for 500 miles on a single electric charge, and will be more cost efficient compared to a diesel truck when factoring in gas, maintenance and other expenses.

"We're confident that this is a product that's better in every way from a feature standpoint," Musk told a crowd of Tesla fans gathered for the unveiling.

The truck will have Tesla's Autopilot system, which can maintain a set speed and slow down automatically in traffic. It also has a system that automatically keeps the vehicle in its lane. Musk said several Tesla semis will be able to travel in a convoy, autonomously following each other.

The Tesla CEO also said he plans to install a worldwide network of solar-powered “megachargers” that can get a vehicle up to 400 miles of range in just 30 minutes of charging.
This could get interesting...

:turtle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw4jkyfY4HE

>

Daox 11-17-2017 09:02 AM

Very interesting day in Tesla land!

MetroMPG 11-17-2017 10:30 AM

The new Roadster was a big surprise!

I briefly considered staying up to watch the live presentation about the truck. Briefly.

You gotta hand it to Tesla for its ability to keep the hype going, and for moving the goalposts for the rest of the auto industry.

JockoT 11-17-2017 10:32 AM

Roadster is AWD (one motor to front wheels and one for each rear wheel) and delivers 10,000 Nm of torque.
Truck does 0 - 60, with 80,000 lbs behind it, in 20 seconds.
Awesome. Truck's drivetrain is guaranteed for 1,000,000 miles and Tesla reckon it will never need the brake shoes replaced.

Daox 11-17-2017 12:55 PM

I quite agree!

I recently drove from Wisconsin to Georgia. I came through the mountains in Tennessee later at night when mostly only semis were on the road. I made my best effort to regen as much as I could in the Prius... This wasn't hard and the battery topped off quite quick. However, it wasn't too long into the decent until I notice the smell around me... burning brakes, and it lasted for at least a good mile. I can only imagine how many kWh could be recaptured in that scenario. It has to be massive.

jamesqf 11-17-2017 01:10 PM

OTOH, you can drive from say Denver to Chicago, maybe all the way to Buffalo (or even NYC if you follow the Thruway) and probably never encounter a hill that would require braking.

freebeard 11-17-2017 02:27 PM

I like the way the thread drills down into the weeds in eight posts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQvGSkTYJSE
I like Mr. Musk's naming conventions: BAMF Performance

samwichse 11-17-2017 02:39 PM

I want to know how much that roadster weighs with 200kwh (!!!) of batteries in it. That is insano.

Also: scroll down to the comments section of the linked article only if you dare.

MetroMPG 11-17-2017 02:42 PM

I had to look up BAMF.

MetroMPG 11-17-2017 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just noticed this slide in the semi presentation:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1510948082

Quote:

For interest's sake, we developed this pickup truck version... that can carry a pickup truck.
And he says it would be road legal to drive with a regular license.

This must be Tesla's "Texan Supercar".

freebeard 11-17-2017 03:01 PM

:thumbup:

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/08/08518...a04b6a47f3.jpg
http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/35nf43

I really appreciate people who have a sense of humor. Arcimoto call their laser cutter the BFL (I suspect in homage to Musk).

Piotrsko 11-18-2017 10:02 AM

Afaik, with tesla, like microsoft back in the day, IT IS VAPOURWARE until I can go buy one in whatever they use for a store.

There are 3 (count them) and only 3 new teslas in town, all are connected directly to high level workers there in that factory.

ksa8907 11-18-2017 10:12 AM

I really hope tesla is successful, definitely moving the industry in the right direction.

I see a lot of criticism on social media because this truck won't be as good as diesel for otr. Duh? It's strong suit is dock work, yard truck, around town delivery, regional delivery, etc.

RedDevil 11-18-2017 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 554288)
I had to look up BAMF.

It is Oedipus on hemorrhoids...

freebeard 11-18-2017 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko
Afaik, with tesla, like microsoft back in the day, IT IS VAPOURWARE until I can go buy one in whatever they use for a store.

Brit-like typing detected.

Vaporware is a term used for products that necessarily interoperate (like you plug your car into your pickup truck and now the door won't open). It was a strategy Microsoft used to hobble the industry*. Tesla invites competition as it furthers their corporate goal — saving ourselves on this planet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksa8907
I see a lot of criticism on social media because this truck won't be as good as diesel for otr. Duh? It's strong suit is dock work, yard truck, around town delivery, regional delivery, etc.

Flee social media. You don't need the grief.

I think the strong suit is crossing mountain ranges. 50% faster uphill, and it will never need brake parts. Drivers need to stop every 500 miles anyway.

edit: *Microsoft is totes different today. Here is a comment from a developer on Slashdot today:

Quote:

It's more like Embrace and Extend. No Extinguish. (Score:4, Interesting)
by Anonymous Coward on Friday November 17, 2017 @05:52PM (#55573269)

It's not 1995. Microsoft of today is very different of the Microsoft from two decades ago. The presence of Azure alone guarantees that their old business approaches are irrelevant in today's market.

Microsoft has become one of the premiere open source providers. They've released a huge amount of great open source software, from .NET Core to Visual Studio Code to TypeScript and beyond.

Maybe it isn't apparent to people firmly stuck in the past, such as yourself, but Microsoft has leapfrogged many of the traditional open source companies.

People actually like using .NET Core on platforms like Linux and macOS. They like using Visual Studio Code, because it's an excellent cross-platform IDE. They love using TypeScript because it brings sanity to JavaScript.

Yes, Microsoft does embrace and extend open source software. And we're thankful for it! They're providing us some great improvements. That's what open source is all about: allowing a wide variety of contributors to improve the open source software.

As for the Extinguish phase you're fixated on, it's not an issue. They just aren't doing it. They can't really extinguish the projects based on the code they've released under very liberal open source licenses.

The whole world has turned around. Democrats used to be anti-war, Bill Gates used to be evil. I put the blame on Kek.

roflwaffle 11-18-2017 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 554287)
I want to know how much that roadster weighs with 200kwh (!!!) of batteries in it. That is insano.

Also: scroll down to the comments section of the linked article only if you dare.

At present, it's probably about 3500lbs. I wouldn't be surprised to see it down to about 3000lbs by production, assuming Tesla is still around.

freebeard 11-18-2017 11:38 PM

Why wouldn't they still be around. If things go sideways, they can lobby Congress to repatriate some of those billions in cash apple is hoarding overseas.

They're both into autonomous vehicles, but Tesla has the superior CEO — so better investment and cross-licensing than a take-over.

sendler 11-19-2017 08:26 AM

The new Megacharger will be a sight to see. 8 pin pairs for a 300A charge rate each at 800V. It might need wheels under the charge connector to get it over to the truck. Or a suspension arm. it will definitely be too heavy to carry.
https://cdn.teslarati.com/wp-content...t-1024x685.jpg

Stubby79 11-19-2017 11:43 AM

Always looked at those RC cars and wondered why we couldn't have the same acceleration in a real car...well, now we will. :thumbup:

Only other thing going on in the back of my head is wondering where we're going to get all the lithium to make these beasts!

Xist 11-19-2017 12:20 PM

When they say "more efficient than a diesel," I think of this.

It interests me that there is a Kek that actually has meaning, although you figure it must mean something somewhere, like apparently the code for Ewok Airport in Alaska. I had only seen it used as "`Kek', a variant of the acronym `LOL' (I do not know how to form coherent sentences)"

jamesqf 11-19-2017 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 554348)
Drivers need to stop every 500 miles anyway.

That's why you generally have two drivers and a sleeper cab.

Though if they can recharge the thing in the time it takes to walk over to the restroom and take a leak, they may have something :-)

freebeard 11-19-2017 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist
I had only seen it used as "`Kek', a variant of the acronym `LOL' (I do not know how to form coherent sentences)"

I understand that it is a re-rendering of LOL in WoW because opponent's chatter is obfuscated.

What we learned in the last election cycle was that an ancient Egyptian diety had arisen to oppose Moloch, the big owl at Bohemian Grove. You can't deny there was major chaos in the last election.

Interestingly, the Southern Poverty Law Center [spit] ran a fairly informative article, if you ignore the obvious slant at the beginning and end. The Kekistani flag is not the same as, but the inversion of the Nazi flag.

Chaos represents both opportunity and danger.

sendler 11-19-2017 02:46 PM

It is a questionable decision to have only 1 seat and no bunk. This is a truck that will be used for two 400 mile legs with a recharge and be in a home yard every night. A standard Tesla Supercharger in the home garage will not quite charge it in 8 hours.
Cobalt is also rare. Large trucks could do well with LiFe batteries where weight and size is less of a concern. But I'm sure Tesla will want to make the truck pack similar to the cars.

freebeard 11-19-2017 05:26 PM

I understood that there is a shotgun seat.

Perhaps Tesla will be as evolutionary as Arcimoto. They have gone to the pouch batteries (same as Zero motorcycle) instead of 18650 cells. I listened to Mark Frohnmayer explain that with cylindrical, spiral-wound cells the inner coils are subject to mechanical stress. Even prismatic cells might not be as good as pouches in that regard. Too much demand on the Gigafactory as it is.

roflwaffle 11-19-2017 08:25 PM

I'm pretty sure there was a shotgun seat in the video. In terms of Cobalt, there's been a lot of activity around mines in Canada.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...g-back-to-life
The Tesla Connection: Cobalt, Lithium and Canada

It's doubled in price too, which I'm guessing would increase the price of a Model 3/S/X by maybe $500-$700, and maybe ~$6,000 for the Tesla semi. It's something, but I don't think it'll make or break Tesla.

JockoT 11-20-2017 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 554434)
I understand that it is a re-rendering of LOL in WoW because opponent's chatter is obfuscated.

What we learned in the last election cycle was that an ancient Egyptian diety had arisen to oppose Moloch, the big owl at Bohemian Grove. You can't deny there was major chaos in the last election.

Interestingly, the Southern Poverty Law Center [spit] ran a fairly informative article, if you ignore the obvious slant at the beginning and end. The Kekistani flag is not the same as, but the inversion of the Nazi flag.

Chaos represents both opportunity and danger.

What a load of sh*t gets churned out on this forum. Bye. I'm out of here.

freebeard 11-20-2017 11:19 AM

Sorry.

Xist will understand.

NeilBlanchard 11-21-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 554289)
Just noticed this slide in the semi presentation:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1510948082

And he says it would be road legal to drive with a regular license.

This must be Tesla's "Texan Supercar".

Tesla has talked about an electric service vehicle they can use instead of the diesel vehicles.

freebeard 11-21-2017 04:17 PM

You know someone will get one instead of an Ford F-650 and drive it through a coffee kiosk.

Xist 11-21-2017 06:02 PM

Someone recently commented on here that Musk was trying to save the world.

I am not sure the super pickup is evidence of that.

freebeard 11-21-2017 07:03 PM

Steve Jobs was willing to settle for putting a dent in it.

Musk is just trying to commander Earthbound industry to return to his home planet.

Xist 11-21-2017 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 554434)

Not only did I somehow miss this comment, but when I went to track it down, I realized we started talking about it in another thread two months ago.

Do you think that is why JockoT took the midnight train?

I was not aware of the WoW reference. Thank you for enlightening me.

I wonder which part exactly bothered JockoT.

It would be nice if he returned...

freebeard 11-21-2017 11:19 PM

I knew it was related to WoW, but I just heard it's the opponents chatter the other day.

There's what's called the Overton window — the acceptable limits of discourse. Stray outside that and the result varies from not being heard at all, to outright hostility. Too much too fast for JockoT, apparently.

It's been a thing since the election cycle with Egytpian hieroglyphics, Hillary name-checking a frog from the podium, and Shadilay. We're getting a reverberation a year later with the Q Anon posts on /pol. Meme magic.

Here's Shadilay (note the name of the band!) at 432hz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igiLa9OUhDc

markweatherill 11-22-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 554348)
Brit-like typing detected.

Vaporware is a term used for products that necessarily interoperate (like you plug your car into your pickup truck and now the door won't open).L].

I don't get it... This is a level of irony I cannot comprehend!

But anyway, the deposits for the new Roadster should generate enough cash to keep Tesla in business for a bit longer....

freebeard 11-22-2017 12:22 PM

It was a spelling joke, 'u' know? Plus a hypothetical.

jamesqf 11-22-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 554662)
I knew it was related to WoW, but I just heard it's the opponents chatter the other day.

Is there a Google Translate app for that?

Piotrsko 11-22-2017 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 554693)
It was a spelling joke, 'u' know? Plus a hypothetical.

Nah that's just what we called it in Bakersfield in the computer room. More elegant, ya?
For us it was promising STUFF and never getting to use it. Like free upgrades to XP that wouldn't run on the existing hardware.

roflwaffle 11-24-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 554644)
Someone recently commented on here that Musk was trying to save the world.

I am not sure the super pickup is evidence of that.

Ideally, someone will get a Model X. If they won't, a giant Tesla pickup at ~500Wh/mile is better than an F-650 at ~10mpg (~3500Wh/mile).

Piotrsko 11-25-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roflwaffle (Post 554859)
Ideally, someone will get a Model X. If they won't, a giant Tesla pickup at ~500Wh/mile is better than an F-650 at ~10mpg (~3500Wh/mile).

I have a problem with that, I don't think the tesla pickup is that efficient.

The ranger is currently using average 450 wh mile measured and that is mostly dragging it's 3500# weight up hill. My stretch F 250 calculates at 700 wh mile based on fuel useage same trip using about 20 mpg. Need better specs on the 650@ 10 mpg, like is that empty, empty weight, towing what, stoplight acceleration rates, transmission type...... dog knows tesla will never reveal the true specs

roflwaffle 11-25-2017 10:15 PM

I agree that the truck in the rendering would use a lot more than 500Wh/mile. I'm thinking of something similar in size to the F-650. The mileage of the F-650 was just a guess based on a quick search, but test data shows it (~15k+ lbs) with a 50% payload ($3k+lbs) varying from ~9.5mpg to ~12.5mpg @ 55mph depending on the engine.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...chstudy-v2.pdf

Compared to your EV Ranger, I'm guessing a F-650 size Tesla truck would weigh maybe 2000lbs more, have half the drag coefficient, and much better efficiency. The Model 3's entire drivetrain is close to or the same as the efficiency of a 9" ADC, so that should be a big boost as well.

https://model3ownersclub.com/threads...-model-s.5252/

How are you getting 700Wh/mile at 20mpg in your F-250? At 20mpg, I'm getting 36.6(kWh/gallon)/20(miles/gallon) = 1830Wh/mile.