Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Question Insurance in Canada?

Hey folks. I'm eyeing a particular car for conversion, but it just occurred to me: Are there companies that insure converted EVs in Ontario? I know there are a few around, so they must exist. Any advice?

Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-28-2016, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalass View Post
Hey folks. I'm eyeing a particular car for conversion, but it just occurred to me: Are there companies that insure converted EVs in Ontario? I know there are a few around, so they must exist. Any advice?

Thanks!
Since my car was not totaled off, and it was last registered in Saskatchewan, I am told that I don`t need SGI (the government) to inspect it. In the eyes of the government it has not been changed ... somehow ..

I was told, by the guy that will be inspecting my Mazda when I get Paul`s controller home and tested, that custom car builder types can do something a little different with their insurance.

He will inspect the car and make sure that it is still roadworthy - brakes, frame structure, steering, seat belts, etc. Then he asks what I`d like to insure it for - either what it cost me to build or what it would cost to replace it now. As you know, the insurance company won`t pay out an excessive claim but will happily collect excessive premiums. So I was advised to make it a realistic number.

He called it `declared value`for the car. Then you pay premiums based on that value, and can adjust the value each year (downward) if you choose. To go up, you need it inspected again.

If the car is damaged, the declared value is the maximum you would get, minus your deductible, for the car. The liability part is also specified and is part of the premium.

My car is not rolling as yet - so this is just a rumour from a source whom I deem reliable ... so far.

It was a while ago ... (I have been stalled on my build for over 18 months).. I think Wawanesa was one of the insurance companies. SGI was another, which was the one I was going to go with, but that won`t help you in Ontario!

I talked to SGI about my previous project, a 91 S10, and was convinced that I needed to get the original ABS working in order to get it insured. For that and a couple of other reasons, I abandoned the project. This custom car fellow tells me that the ABS thing was a scare tactic that SGI uses and I fell for it.

I would be very interested in your experience in Ontario.

I hope I can insure my mazda when it is done!
Old 02-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Modding for Eris

SilverCivic - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 28.69 mpg (US)
Thanks! The car in question is a '94 Subaru SVX which looks damn pretty. Automatic gearbox, though, so I'll have to do a manual conversion, or direct to the diff? I haven't worked that out yet. Direct to diff opens up two-motor 4WD though... :P

Unfortunately it has just been taken off the road, but since it is (supposedly) in roadworthy condition still I ought to be able to get it re-registered before I start the conversion. That'll take me a year or so though so perhaps it'll be better to do that at the end. Depends on cost comparison. At least I should be able to talk him down a bit because of the rego. I'll have to research more! yay!?

Reply  Post New Thread