Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Help Building DC Brushed Motor Controller

Let me start by telling you a little about me. I am currently a student studying Mechanical Engineering. As my senior project I have been tasked with designing, and building a complete electric car. I need help with the motor controller and speed controller. I have a basic knowledge of electrical components but I do not even know where to start when it comes to building the motor controller. The setup I am using is a Brushed DC Motor 24V 750W. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I have looked over the sticky at the top of the forum but I couldn't find where he explained what each component was actually being used for. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
I'm merely the first poster to happen by. I made it through the first 4 college terms of M.E., then transferred to Architecture. Outlasted 80% of my class, but then they gave me an elective course.

Where to start? How much is 746 Watts in Horsepower? Designing and building a complete car requires a design brief and fabrication facilities.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
build and understand this for starters, it is everything you need in miniature:
https://itp.nyu.edu/physcomp/labs/mo...th-an-arduino/

Eventually you will probably use the transistor to switch a larger transistor, and have to deal with gate currents and whatnot, but this is the basics, including microcontroller programming.

Or delegate it to someone in EE, or spend $30 on ebay for a chinese controller.

Edit, I was stuck on 750watt, you aren't serious about putting that in a car (and are a senior in ME) I hope.

Last edited by P-hack; 01-08-2015 at 10:30 PM..
Old 01-09-2015, 12:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Hopefully we will know more with OP's second post, but it sounds about right for an https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrathon racer. They have an about 1 kWH battery.

Lots of opportunity there—they're noisy, hard riding little critters mostly built by high school students around here.

Reply  Post New Thread