EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Theos story- The Hyundai i10 1.2 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/theos-story-hyundai-i10-1-2-a-41268.html)

Eisberg 01-17-2024 10:39 AM

Theos story- The Hyundai i10 1.2

3 Attachment(s)
Well, hello everyone!

After a quick introduction of myself lets get right into it!

Now, before we start, what do we actually work with?

- 2015 Hyundai i10 1.2 MT. German/european version. Curb weight is 1015 kg (2238 lbs), over 105kg (231 lbs) more than a Mitsubishi Mirage despite the fact the Hyundai is 18cm (7 inches) shorter. Ok, it got steering wheel heating, corner lights etc but still very heavy. The 4 cylinder 1.2 l engine with 87 hp is the larger one of the 2 available (with the other being a 3 cylinder 1.0 with 67 hp) and has a 5 speed manual behind it. Its nickname is "Theo", named by the previous owner

- Daily commute: 11km (6.8mi) one way. Around 50% country road, 50% city with almost no stops (so I can go in fifth gear for 6.8km distance uninterupted, not bad!). A lot of downhill in the beginning however means the engine struggles to come to temperature. From around 0°C / 32°F it takes around 5km to get the coolant to 60°C / 140 °F. On the way back it only takes about 2km (1.3 mi) for the same temperature.

- Reselling. It is technically not my car and I am limited to mods that easily and without damage can be undone.

- Germany. Here we follow ze TÜV and ze Straßenverkehrszulassungsverordnung. A full boattail would probably get me murderd by an angry TÜV-guy in my sleep.

- Myself: I do like my heated seats, heated steering wheel and AC. I will not get rid of them but will try to make their use more effective.

So, whats the plan? Well, I don't know. I see what I can do with the given car and given tools. But we can start of with some very exotic stuff like:
- increase the tire pressure to 2.7 bar / 39 PSI
- Put a scangauge on the instrument cluster
- Do the hypermiling

As I have wrote in the introduction, i once managed to get 4.96l/100km / 47.4 MPG but, due to colder weather, necessary extra routes and my sister driving it for a while it came all the way up to 5.82 l/100km or down to 40.4 MPG. So we now have to get serious. For a beginning I removed the rear seats (see the pics below)

Shortly after removing the rear seats it started to snow yet again over here so I had to pause.

Now, where are we going from here?

Most certainly I will do an improvised grill block maybe within the next few days. I also plan to do an underbelly pan (the Hyundai does not have one from factory). After that? Who knows.

For a final question for all the scangauge-pros around here: I have calibrated it just a few days ago for this car but I keep having a problem with it showing 0.0l/100km fuel consumption at low throttle. The cars own fuel consumption meter shows a clear and realistic value, the scangauge shows nothing and I have to floor it for a secound to get it to spit out some values again. Did anyone else have that problem and know what to do?

Eisberg 01-19-2024 11:39 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Lets continue with part 2, the partial grill block. As seen in the first image, the i10 has three major grill openings, a slim one around the Hyundai logo, another slim one above the licence plate and another much larger at the bottom.

The large one in the bottom is the one I am intending to block entirely. Now Hyundai has done some work on it already and blocked the outer edges. The actual grill opening I have marked in red (it was already late noon with a deep sun so the lighting isn't great :( ).

As material I had some leftover black foam board at hand. Now despite it being cold and we just having a break from ice rain and snowfall I was able to use ultra high precision machinery to fabricate the grill block seen in picture 2. The CNC machine used to achive this is included in the pic :D

Fastening it to the grill was done with 2 cable ties, which proved to be a bit tricky but doable.

Pic 3 shows the result (yes, it got quite dark).

Also I did some weight measurements on the rear seats removed last time, 31 kg. So half my weight and the curb weight is now below 1000kg :thumbup:

I am probably going to pause now for a few days and try it out next week.