Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leaf on the Wind - '13 Nissan Leaf
Gen2 Prius, Gen3 Prius, Prius C or ???

Hi all. I've got about a year left on my current lease ('14 Nissan leaf) and I've recently been bitten by the efficiency bug. In searching around online at what sort of car I want to get when the time comes, I keep coming to the conclusion that it seems impossible for me to beat a prius for value/efficiency.

So, in looking at the different prii out there, I've got a question for those who might know - gen2, gen3, or C? Which would you choose and why? I'm leaning towards the C, since it's a little smaller, lighter, and better for around town where most of my driving generally happens. It unfortunately is newer and thus more expensive, so that's a mark against it.

Alternatively, if you know of something comparable/better, I'd be interested to hear. My requirements are that it must be a compact (or smaller) car, have an automatic transmission(non-negotiable), be available for under $15k, and obviously have potential to get great gas mileage (50-70mpg). Preference will be given to smaller, cheaper, and/or more efficient vehicles. Hybrid is not required, but I haven't seen much evidence of anything beating hybrids in efficiency and for only 1-2k more, that pays for itself fast. Also, no pure EVs, I've got one now and the range is not enough for me to have as my primary vehicle, at least not until tesla (or anyone) starts making something under $30k that can go over 300 miles on a charge.

I'd be happy to answer any questions if I was unclear about anything. I've been loving lurking around this place and seeing all the amazing things people are doing to get the most out of their cars.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-08-2014, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I'd go with a Prius C if you do mostly city driving and don't need the extra space.

The 4th generation Prius will be out in a year when your lease expires, so hopefully the price on the Gen II and III will come down.

If you go gen II, I would look at 2007 or newer since there were some improvements in that model year and more options were included in lower package models.

If going for a gen III I would get a 2012 or newer since there were some improvements made in that model year and more options were made standard in the base package. For example, HFL is standard on a package 2 from 2012 on.

Finally, you could get a plug in Prius if you still want the option to charge but have the range for when you need it. It's only good for about 12 miles before the engine kicks on. 2012 was the first model year for these. If electric rates are high, I wouldn't consider a plugin anything. Where I live, electricity is cheap, and plugging in is an appealing option.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
I've done the same cost analysis and I can't beat already owning a Prius. If I were to replace it, I'd probably get another 2nd gen just because they can be had for under $10k if you want, and I don't pile on the miles (anymore).
Old 07-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm interested in the plug-in prius, but unfortunately even searching 300mi away from my zip code I only found one 2012 model selling for $23k. To be honest I only bought the leaf because my fuel is free, due to my university having several free plug-in spots on campus. I'll have graduated by the time my lease is up, so I don't know if the electric option will be as appealing.

Honestly searching the market is really frustrating, especially when looking at Honda over the last decade. They cancelled and then completely changed what the insight was/is, refuse to bring over their engine start/stop technology, and they won't bring the hybrid fit to the states (for some reason we get the EV model though?). They've also come out with the ridiculous cr-z which has dreams of being a fuel conscious sportscar? They could have made a super lightweight fuel sipping hybrid coupe (like the original insight) and had a whole market segment to themselves. I should stop now before I just get completely lost in a rant about things.

While we're wishing for future vehicles, here's to hoping the Elio works out. Outside of being a hybrid it's almost exactly what I'd design if I had my choice.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
The Gen 4 Prius launch was just pushed back to December 2015.

Honestly, now is a good time to pick up a new Gen 3 if you plan on keeping it for a while. If you look, you can find deals. I bought my 2013 new in February for >$4000 off MSRP. Not sure what kind of deal you can find on a C.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

1st-gen Insight with CVT?

-soD
Old 07-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sadly I won't be able to wait for 02/16, since my lease ends in 09/15, no super late model year deals for me.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by some_other_dave View Post
1st-gen Insight with CVT?

-soD

I would love to get one, but there's so much variation in vehicles which are that old and I'm not the kind who has the knowhow or the money to be throwing at potentially fixing a car with so many oddball parts. Beyond that they're thin on the ground in these parts. When I see them they usually go for around $3k, and tend to have 150k+ miles on them (in addition to being 10 years old). I seriously think they're the sexiest mass-produced eco-cars around, but I don't know that I can afford to gamble like that and risk being out of a car if something on it dies.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Why not think of a gasoline 2012 Civic HF? You could buy from a dealer with a warranty for much less than a new hybrid, maybe half as much. And the HF's 0.525 fifth gear, 4.44 final drive and 15" wheels will offer better freeway RPM'S than the legendary 1992-1995 Civic VX with its 0.702 fifth, 3.250 FD, and 13" wheels... the HF is also a VTEC engine. With smart hypermiling you should radically beat the freeway EPA rating and never need a new hybrid pack. A few minor and discreet mods would bring even better mileage.

EDIT: on car gurus I see a 2012 HF for sale from a dealer for under $15K and less than 40k miles.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 07-09-2014 at 12:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (07-09-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 01:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantthought View Post
Sadly I won't be able to wait for 02/16, since my lease ends in 09/15, no super late model year deals for me.
You don't need to wait until Feb. 2016, unless you want to get a Gen 4, but I don't recommend buying the first year of a redesign. The current Prius is getting long in the tooth, and over the next year and a half you'll be able to find a deal if you want (right now Toyota is offering $1250 cash back and 0% financing on 2014s) as they continue to sell an aging design.

Reply  Post New Thread