EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   TheSheMullet (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/theshemullet-7075.html)

TheSheMullet 02-11-2009 07:10 AM

TheSheMullet

Hey There
Just joined.
Hoping to get some tips on better mileage.
I currently travel 80 Miles each day from/to work.
I have a Nissan Serena (same base model vehicle as binky, only it's the full 8 seater MPV based on Nissan Delivery shell) at the moment that is running on Biodiesel.
I am thinking of changing this over to electric.
Just in the researching phase.
Oh and I'm from Ireland.
Regards

Johnny Mullet 02-11-2009 07:28 AM

Welcome to ecomodder!

hummingbird 02-11-2009 08:49 AM

Hi, welcome to Ecomodder!

Could not understand the bit about hauling an 8 seater 80 miles a day for office commuting! Why are you so hard on yourself?

TheSheMullet 02-11-2009 10:00 AM

Well, it is a very reliable vehicle with a big diesel engine, and if your gonna travel up to 42000 miles a year, you need a big reliable diesel engine. Anything smaller or petrol based would not be worth anything in 4+ years. Remember it's 80 mile each way each day. An electric engine would also suit (i think) because of the high torque and simplicity (also reduced weight). The van is designed in such a way that you sit on where the engine is (mid mount engine rear wheel drive). So if I replace the engine, it leaves a lot of space in the cavity for batteries, also there will be plenty of space under the bonnet in the front because the raditor and it's tubing/piping will be gone. Also as it has a space for packages at the back, this is more space for batteries. Finally, if I needed even more space I could just remove the last row of back seats, making it a 5 seater. It seemed the correct vehicle for the long term plan I had. I bought it second hand 3 years ago and hope to still have it in another 5-10.
Regards

MetroMPG 02-11-2009 11:31 AM

TheSheMullet and Johnny Mullet together in the same thread! And so close to Valentine's Day! :)

(Just joshing.)

The challenge of going 80 miles in a large boxy electric vehicle will be stuffing enough batteries in it (or enough money into the project to get "advanced" batteries) to get the range. Have you looked around the EV Album for conversion examples ? It's a great place to start to get an idea of what's possible.

MazdaMatt 02-11-2009 11:37 AM

Hello and good luck! What mileage numbers have you been getting? Have you been trying to drive "eco" for a while? I'm interested in how much you spend in gas each year driving that many miles.

Clev 02-11-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSheMullet (Post 87322)
Well, it is a very reliable vehicle with a big diesel engine, and if your gonna travel up to 42000 miles a year, you need a big reliable diesel engine. Anything smaller or petrol based would not be worth anything in 4+ years.

My 1990 Honda Accord with 292,000 miles @ 34 mpg (36,000 miles/year) would beg to differ with you. :-)

hummingbird 02-11-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSheMullet (Post 87322)
... The van is designed in such a way that you sit on where the engine is (mid mount engine rear wheel drive)...

No offense, but this looks to me a vehicle meant basically as a station-wagon, maximizing space for urban pick-up-and-drop use. Would have no crumple zone, setting the driver at the edge of the vehicle itself... maybe I am barking up the wrong subject, but I'm concerned... you use it for 80 miles of highway commuting a day...

hypermiler01 02-11-2009 09:07 PM

Volkswagen TDi

You certainly do not need a big engine to carry nothing but yourself.

tasdrouille 02-11-2009 10:48 PM

You're lucky enough to live on the right side of the pond. If it were me, I'd get a Polo with a small diesel engine in no time.

RH77 02-11-2009 11:35 PM

I agree with the previous posters. It may be cheaper to operate a smaller diesel or petrol, even with the amount of miles driven. Honda came to mind first...

You could still use the MPV when you need it, and perhaps a smaller vehicle when you don't? Sometimes it's a stretch on cost vs. benefit -- crunch the numbers to see what works best in your situation.

Kudos on the Bio-D, though :thumbup:

RH77

cfg83 02-11-2009 11:50 PM

TheSheMullet -

Welcome to EM! What they^ said. So this is what your Serena looks like? :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erena_1999.JPG

When I think electric, I often think of a small pick-up because of the ready and waiting "battery bed". I guess you could call the Serena an enclosed pick-up, so I can see why you have envisioned the electric conversion.

CarloSW2

TheSheMullet 03-11-2009 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazdaMatt (Post 87333)
Hello and good luck! What mileage numbers have you been getting? Have you been trying to drive "eco" for a while? I'm interested in how much you spend in gas each year driving that many miles.

Hi
Sorry about the late reply I do not seem to be getting emails telling me of the replies.
In the Serena I was getting about 400Miles for 55Litres (Ireland we don't use gallons).
I also have a peugeot 106 1.5 Diesel and that gets up to 750Miles on about 45-50 Litres.

TheSheMullet 03-11-2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clev (Post 87398)
My 1990 Honda Accord with 292,000 miles @ 34 mpg (36,000 miles/year) would beg to differ with you. :-)

I think your one of the lucky ones or you really look after your car.
:)

TheSheMullet 03-11-2009 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hummingbird (Post 87399)
No offense, but this looks to me a vehicle meant basically as a station-wagon, maximizing space for urban pick-up-and-drop use. Would have no crumple zone, setting the driver at the edge of the vehicle itself... maybe I am barking up the wrong subject, but I'm concerned... you use it for 80 miles of highway commuting a day...

Well actually you sit on top of the engine kinda in the middle of the van.
The front has quite a bit of space for where you have the radiator/spare wheel, fluids bottles and such. The serena I have is actually the original model which was really a Nissan Delivery with seats bolted into it.

TheSheMullet 03-11-2009 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hypermiler01 (Post 87402)
Volkswagen TDi

You certainly do not need a big engine to carry nothing but yourself.

Well once a week I carry 200 litres of waste cooking oil (for making Biodiesel)

TheSheMullet 03-11-2009 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 87416)
You're lucky enough to live on the right side of the pond. If it were me, I'd get a Polo with a small diesel engine in no time.

Oh I have a small peugeot 106 diesel, that I am currently using

TheSheMullet 03-11-2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 87423)
I agree with the previous posters. It may be cheaper to operate a smaller diesel or petrol, even with the amount of miles driven. Honda came to mind first...

You could still use the MPV when you need it, and perhaps a smaller vehicle when you don't? Sometimes it's a stretch on cost vs. benefit -- crunch the numbers to see what works best in your situation.

Kudos on the Bio-D, though :thumbup:

RH77

I will probably end up still the peugeot for the long hall and the Serena for around the village and locally.
The amount I'd like to get out of the "Electricised" version of it, is really just wishfull thinking, but I would rather shoot for that than just resign myself to only being so limited.
Just thinking hopefully I guess.

TheSheMullet 03-11-2009 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 87426)
TheSheMullet -

Welcome to EM! What they^ said. So this is what your Serena looks like? :

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...erena_1999.JPG

When I think electric, I often think of a small pick-up because of the ready and waiting "battery bed". I guess you could call the Serena an enclosed pick-up, so I can see why you have envisioned the electric conversion.

CarloSW2

Actually mine is the more rounded one, like this only with 5 doors rather than the 3 on this one.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...na_C23_001.JPG

TheSheMullet 03-11-2009 04:18 AM

Wondering...

Sorry about the sudden lot of replies....
I am wondering if anyone could tell me whether anyone these motor would be of use in this van.

27KW ELECTRICAL CAR MOTOR

The van was never fast so it doesn't need to really be now.
I am still very new to all this so any assistance would be appreciated.
Also as this is just experimenting with my first EV and only really need to be able to move about the village and neighbouring one, as long as the motor can move the van at a speed that can keep up with average traffic is good enough.
Unfortuantely in Ireland it is very har to find help with anything other than drinking :)