EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Thieves Stealing Catalytic Converters? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/thieves-stealing-catalytic-converters-683.html)

RH77 01-16-2008 08:05 PM

Thieves Stealing Catalytic Converters?

I read in the USA Today, well today, that theives are stealing the CATs off of vehicles to turn in for their valuable metals content. They turn them in for around $150, where the owner usually has to spend over $1000 to get a new emissions system installed again. The Story.

Man, what's the world coming to? Are we going to have to put the "Club" over our exhausts?

The worst part is, the crap spewing out of those vehicles in the meantime. The hotbed of activity is in SoCal, which definitely doesn't need any more air quality issues.

RH77

SVOboy 01-16-2008 08:19 PM

Interesting, must be fancy cats for fancy cars, since I can get a new cat for 80 bucks, :p

AndrewJ 01-16-2008 08:22 PM

lol, never thought there'd be enough resale value in the minute quantity of platinum thats in a cat converter. They're such a PITA to get off too, I'd just move on to easier targets if I were a law-breakin' type.

I remember several years ago hearing about a rash of headlight module thefts out of Nissan altimas and sentras. The bandits in question were selling the HID modules to "import tuners"

SVOboy 01-16-2008 08:23 PM

In north jersey they steal copper, :)

WaxyChicken 01-16-2008 09:10 PM

we've gotten hit bad by cat theives in phoenix. First it was aluminum. then copper. now it's everything in the cat-verter. I'm surprised it just now made it to the USA today.

RH77 01-17-2008 12:08 AM

Yeah, it's the metal re-sale of everything from copper at construction sites to street lights for whatever -- even guardrails. Whacked up. I remember the same with the Maxima HIDs getting ripped-out, etc. It's been the same in KC for a few years, but actually sawing off an exhaust-emissions component is complete news to me.

"Many were unaware they're a victim of crime and puzzling why their vehicle suddenly sounds so loud..."

Yeah, I think I'd check to see if I lost something right away, especially a gap in the exhaust system. I guess high-ground clearance vehicles are the easiest to target. I'd like to see them get the converter off of a '97 Civic (right off of the exhaust header).

R

cfg83 01-17-2008 01:04 AM

RH77 -

Hrmmmm, maybe I need to do an "aluminum mesh" belly pan for aerodynamic and SECURITY reasons :rolleyes: .

CarloSW2

cfg83 01-17-2008 01:12 AM

RH77 -

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 5826)

Yeah, I think I'd check to see if I lost something right away, especially a gap in the exhaust system. I guess high-ground clearance vehicles are the easiest to target. I'd like to see them get the converter off of a '97 Civic (right off of the exhaust header).

R

Yet another reason to lower the car, again for aerodynamic and SECURITY reasons?!?!?!?!

CarloSW2

Gone4 01-17-2008 01:31 AM

Stealing the light system off a Prius is a lot more profitable (and you can make homemade tasers).

jwxr7 01-17-2008 12:10 PM

There was a story on the news lately about this (converter theft) happening in Mid Michigan :(. I think they were using cordless recipro saws. Not cool.